• Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare (1564-1616)! 2️⃣🅱️, 🚫2️⃣🅱️

What dose ageing canoer need?

The biggest geezer paddling improvement I have made was switching from a 4wd Ford Ranger to a Ford Focus wagon for a canoe hauler. The much lower height is a blessing for my problem shoulders. This makes all my paddling easier,not just big trips. After that,I find myself getting more sensitive to differences in paddles and paddle length. Shorter than the norm helps me.
"Keep Your Paddle Wet",Turtle

http://www.kermitchair.com/

My father is retired. 62 yrs young, with a horrible back. I've had to paddle him out twice in as many years. This chair is a little heavy, but its a FULL ON CHAIR.

He takes it everywhere. Ice fishing, canoe camping, just out visiting folks (bad sitting*furniture), you name it.

Www.kermitchair.com

It packs down well and with the extra leg extensions is a normal chair hieght , but heavier. Skimp elsewhere he says!

Last edited:
We have two kermit chairs. I do sometimes take one with me in the canoe. They are extremely well built, and very comfortable to sit on. I usually leave the leg extensions at home. They also make a fantastic chair at music festivals, where only the low ones are allowed. When trailer camping, they are always with us.

I mostly canoe camp in Killarney or Algonquin parks in Ontario, with a lot of portages.and when I started (30 years ago),

Since I just celebrated my 60th birthday, I do make some accommodations. My portage boat is kevlar, though our river boat is still Royalex. We use little tripod chairs with a back, but I can't think of the brand. We add weight in our gear though: a taller tent I don't have to climb out of, good quality down bags, and we are still working out some updated pads. For years we used big Agnes poly air mattresses, but they are only 20 inches so my husband sometimes gets legs or arms off of it and then gets cold. We have thick Thermarest pads, but they are just too big to take canoeing. I am seriously looking at down filled pads so I like the comments about them on this thread. We use back bands from Kevin Carr, and I have his foot braces in the solos but not the tandems. I really would like to install some though, since it helps me feel connected to the boat. Any advice about installing them in a tandem, both bow and stern?

Last edited:
Pam I use a GCI Outdoors Quik E Seat for trips. I have lower back issues and this helps allot. It looks small but it works for my 6'2" 220 lb body. Maybe this is the same chair you have.
pDSP1-7370595p275w.jpg

CanoePam,
Who is Kevin Carr? I am interested in the backbands you have. I couldn't find any links to him anywhere.
Regards,
Dave

There are a lot of great ideas here, some I've already done and some I'll use in the future. At 60 I can still keep up with the young ones on the river, but it's more to do with technique.
I used to hike the mountains of New England with my mother who love to be there, but couldn't carry a full load. I carried a very heavy pack during those trips and we planned the trips based on her abilities.

So my advice is no matter how aged the paddler there's a trip that can be done, especially if you can find a Sherpa who loves it as much as you do.

CanoePam,
Who is Kevin Carr? I am interested in the backbands you have. I couldn't find any links to him anywhere.
Regards,
Dave
Kevin Carr can be found at http://www.gear4portaging.com. Call him and say CanoePam told you about his back bands. He also sells adjustable foot braces.wonderful fellow who does outstanding work, both for able-bodied and adaptive paddlers.

Note the back bands themselves are moveable from boat to boat if you buy a second set of attachments.

Pam I use a GCI Outdoors Quik E Seat for trips. I have lower back issues and this helps allot. It looks small but it works for my 6'2" 220 lb body. Maybe this is the same chair you have.
pDSP1-7370595p275w.jpg

Mine is similar but folds smaller. The back is on a leather-like hinge that folds over and makes the max length just the size of the legs. The seat will fit in the outside pocket of a Mason bag or an internal frame backpack. On day trips, we just tuck them next to the carry handle of the boat.

I tried a Helinox Chair at LL Bean and I couldn't get out of it. I had roll on the floor, which I'm sure amused anyone watching. I went a local grocery store and bought a fold up chair, which was relatively compact for $9 and took on two trips, worked great.

I use an air mattress I got a Beans which folds up to a very compact size, much less space taken up than my Thermarest and more comfortable. It's harder to pack up when braking camp, but I'm never in a hurry anyway.

I have had arthritis since I was 23 years old - very serious case so I have taken medication for many years. The modern cox 2 meds work great - I don't drink except for a beer once in while. I pace myself on portages and if I start to have any problems I just take a break for awhile. I have done stretching exercises and am thinking of riding a stationary bike several time a week ( I've been thinking about it for a couple of years). I think I'd prefer the bike because it won't put pressure on any joints. Maybe, I'll start tomorrow.

Thanks Pam. I of course have heard of Chosen Valley, but didn't connect the name with it.
Regards,
Dave

Back