• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Way of the Wilderness by Calvin Rutstrum

Reaction score
I just received my copy of this hard to find book today. Normally the book is too far out of my price range, sometimes the bidding gets well up over $50 on eBay. While complete, this one's cover is in poor condition and it's missing the valuable leather dust cover.

I have most of Calvin Rutstrum's books, including the tough to find "Challenge of the Wilderness" so I was happy when I won this copy for $8 plus some shipping.

DSC02873.JPG

It even comes with a "Canoe Strokes" section. No fancy outfits or wimpy little solo canoes here, Calvin found that to get the message across he needed a shirtless mans man in a tandem wood canvas canoe (Chestnut Prospector?) with your average run of the mill paddle (or "stick" to the fancy pants elitist's)

DSC02870.JPG

wPkch-JBRLqsT2QKkUm21ify15PCNOqLHpOmpZ3oZY8=w844-h534-no

I found a copy of the newer/less scarce "New Way of the Wilderness". pretty good read.

I just received my copy of this hard to find book today. Normally the book is too far out of my price range, sometimes the bidding gets well up over $50 on eBay. While complete, this one's cover is in poor condition and it's missing the valuable leather dust cover.

I have most of Calvin Rutstrum's books, including the tough to find "Challenge of the Wilderness" so I was happy when I won this copy for $8 plus some shipping.

DSC02873.JPG

It even comes with a "Canoe Strokes" section. No fancy outfits or wimpy little solo canoes here, Calvin found that to get the message across he needed a shirtless mans man in a tandem wood canvas canoe (Chestnut Prospector?) with your average run of the mill paddle (or "stick" to the fancy pants elitist's)

DSC02870.JPG

wPkch-JBRLqsT2QKkUm21ify15PCNOqLHpOmpZ3oZY8=w844-h534-no

That's a nice find Robin. Now that's a solo canoe I can appreciate! Not that there's anything wrong with a dedicated solo...just not my thing.

It's neat to acquire and read the old timey literature. Cal was pretty dated when published in the middle of the last century, his work similar to Bradford Angier's. He didn't include his contemporary Omer Stringer's skills in W/C Canadian Tandems and He didn't seem inclined to include any USCA or Olympic improvements that were commonly discussed in the 60s and 70's. He was gone before the important John Winters data from the mid to late 80s. Still a neat, still black and white image of how we started though.

Last edited:
I found the Wikipedia bio of Calvin Rustrume educational. Gives a little insight into the difference between Ontario and MN canoe development and the go light go small designs of the Adirondacks. IMO ecology matters
Both schools of thought can respected while we choose the method of travel appropriate for our selfs

I really like traditional gear and find it has things to teach us but at my age find light and small more appropriate. For me
No need to disparage others nor gear
Someday we will have a moment where we realize that all paddlers no matter what nor how they paddle need to band together to protect access to the waters we all love
Needling others is counterproductive. That is just my opinion

My dad was given a copy of The new way of the wilderness by his dad in 1959. It sits in a special place in my canoe book case now. I used to read that thing front to back when I was a kid, it inspired many an adventure.

....I really like traditional gear and find it has things to teach us but at my age find light and small more appropriate. For me
No need to disparage others nor gear
Someday we will have a moment where we realize that all paddlers no matter what nor how they paddle need to band together to protect access to the waters we all love
Needling others is counterproductive. That is just my opinion

Agreed. And what a dreary world it would be if we all used identical boats, equipment and styles. Our variety is our palette of colours.

You folks need to get a sense of humor, just a little kidding about how he depicted his canoeist vs modern day. I didn't think it would offend anyone, sorry if I did,

You'd all need a sense of humour to see me paddling with my shirt off.

I'm sorry to say I know nothing about Calvin Rutstrum. I've just started reading about him and found this description of his youthful explorations on the Mississippi. It describes my own carefree childhood many hundreds of miles away.
Different time, different place, same eager eyes smiling at the world.
Thanks Robin and friends, I'll search out this fellow and his writing.

"To be free as a wild creature, not having to shoulder human cares, able to climb, run, jump. swim, lie on an embankment in the sunshine—these gave a release to the young spirit that may be perhaps described as primitive, but nevertheless exquisite in the most elemental sense."
(Wilderness Visionaries by Dale Vickery, 1986)

Ya, when I was a kid, I could paddle with my shirt off too. Now a days I'd have to leave my man-ziere on. Plus if I didn't shave, some reality show would probably shoot me to collect a reward for a saquatch. I think Rustrum's model must have been a Paddlesexual, cause the only way a he-man like that gets hairless is by waxing.

Last time I took my shirt off paddling my partner in the back of the canoe complained about being blinded by the white!

It's neat to acquire and read the old timey literature. Cal was pretty dated when published in the middle of the last century, his work similar to Bradford Angier's. He didn't include his contemporary Omer Stringer's skills in W/C Canadian Tandems and He didn't seem inclined to include any USCA or Olympic improvements that were commonly discussed in the 60s and 70's. He was gone before the important John Winters data from the mid to late 80s. Still a neat, still black and white image of how we started though.

I gave myself a few days to ponder your post and here's my reply.

Calvin Rutstrum's main theme through out his writing career was Wilderness. He shared his experiences as a young man traveling by canoe, foot and dog sled in the boarder area of Minn. and western Ontario during the time frame starting just after WW1. Many of the ideas he shared in his books he either learned from other wilderness trippers, first nation people or trial and error on the trail. His books mostly either prepared the reader for these trips or related his experiences on the trail.
Calvin made it clear he disliked sport fisherman and sport hunters, yet many of his loyal readers came from these ranks. He never pulled a punch and gave the reader many chances to review his own way of living life, either on the trail, in work or life in general.
I disagree that Rutstrum was dated when published, far from it. His books where very popular, dated writers don't get 15 books published. His first book which I just bought was published in 1946, the last in 79. In 78 he wrote "Chips from a Wilderness Log", an excellent read and in no way dated for someone in his twilight years.
As far as Omer Stringer goes, while both where known for their canoe exploits, Omer was more a showman touting a style of paddling either in Algonquin Park or pools set up at sportsman's shows in Toronto. Rutstrum was not a showman and Omers life story had little to do with what Rutstrum wrote about.
While old Cal never shied away from a soapbox, I would say it's safe to say he knew his readers and publishers had little interest in what USCA or Olympic folks had to say and saw no reason to promote their cause.
He wrote about Wilderness and did it very well imo.

His writing is still relevant for those of us that like the old ways. Calvin learned a lot from the old bush types and Ojibwas, and also knew what worked from trial and error. His advice is still sound. I especially liked the reverence he had for the wild and people who live in it. His writing style is easy and straight forward.

I like reading these classic outdoor books, they can be got free or almost free on Amazon Kindle.

I always take my Kindle device when I'm out in my wimpy solo boat because its back lit and I like to read at night haha

Back