• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Wanigan straps and carry handles

Reaction score
My wanigan has been held shut by either rope or old Thule straps for a long time. I thought it needed an upgrade so I ordered some 1” leather straps and brass buckles and sewed the buckles to the leather with my handy Speedy Stitcher. Not “MuratV” quailty but Close enough. No portaging for me so I passed on a tump.
I removed the rope carrying handles and installed some leather carry handles.
76D3D434-1169-4634-BFD0-277738DFFBFA.jpeg

Looks good Robin.
If you get the chance, could you give us some info on measurements and thickness of plywood. That and the the overall empty weight.
As you can tell, you've given me an idea!
What do you keep in it besides beer, bannock and beans?
Cheers Ted

Nicely done Robin. I also prefer leather. I was recently given several old leather belts which will be stashed away this winter for these types of projects.

Looks good Robin.
If you get the chance, could you give us some info on measurements and thickness of plywood. That and the the overall empty weight.
As you can tell, you've given me an idea!
What do you keep in it besides beer, bannock and beans?
Cheers Ted

Hi Ted,
The measurements are 24" by 14&1/2" and 12" high. I used 1/4" plywood all around, the empty weight is 15lbs. I use it with my wall tent and carry fresh food like eggs,veggies, bread, Peak 1 stove, tea pot, cold handle frying pan, a dish, cup, and utensils, even a soft sided cooler with frozen meat. It's great to cook off of, eat off of, put your feet up on and relax by the wood stove with a candle burning. Here's a link to one I built for my grandson. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itlqp0btbpQ

DSC00490.JPG - Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC00490.JPG Views:	0 Size:	105.5 KB ID:	119412

Last edited:
Looks good Robin! It's nice that you're finding a way to use all your gear in Maine. Best of luck in exploring all those new places with your "updated" gear.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Thanks Snapper, It's great to be back working on the gear on the off season, I'm looking forward to exploring some more of what Maine has to offer.

Back