• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Waiting on a Hammock Gear Econ Burrow 20 Down Quilt

Reaction score
About a week ago I ordered a Hammock Gear Econ Burrow 20 down quilt with 2 extra ounces of overfill. All told, it should weigh 28 ounces. There is a 4-5 week wait time so maybe Christmas???
I'm hoping it will keep me comfortable to 30F. I also just purchased a minimum/maximum thermometer that I plan to use in our unheated enclosed porch room this winter to see what sleeping pad and clothing combinations will get me down to a hoped-for 30 degrees. In case anyone cares, the min/max thermometer is a Thermoworks Thermodrop. Kinda expensive but small, light at 1/2 ounce, accurate, and downright cute. I needed something new to obsess over now that canoeing season is nearly over. :)

Last edited:
Did you get it yet? Is it fluffy and beautiful?

I ordered a new Econ Burrow 20 during their Black Friday sale. I had gotten a 0* one a couple of years ago, and was impressed at how warm, fluffy and comfortable it was, so decided to get a 20* one for summer (in the mountains). While I was looking around, I saw that they have a hammock kit, and I clicked the button on that, and a few add-ons. The big box arrived earlier this week. As usual, beautiful workmanship, and fluffy, fluffy quilts, top and under. I tested the hammock and underquilt in the neighborhood park today, and it was warm at 40. I didn't even use the top quilt. They make good stuff! I want one of those Thermodrops, too, but keep balking at the price. Maybe right after Christmas?

I hope the quilt gets here by Christmas. (It should if Hammock Gear's timetable is correct.) I'm definitely anxious to try it out. It's good to know that you're happy with yours.

When I bought the Thermodrop it was on sale for $17 (but came to $24 with shipping.) It is admittedly expensive, but a fun little toy that's also practical. It's good to know the limits of your sleep system or when you might need to supplement. BTW, the temp readings on the Thermodrop match the other thermometers in the house exactly so I'm calling it accurate.

Last edited:
That's expensive for a thermometer... she says as she really, really wants one.

I can't believe you haven't gotten your quilt yet. From their sale pages, they did not have a whole bunch just sitting around in stock, waiting to be put in a box (though the entire kits, I would bet are, since they are one temp, one size, etc.). I'm sorry you haven't gotten yours yet. Soon, I hope. Waiting is the worst!

Unfortunately not. :(

Actually, though, it was never intended to be a Christmas present. I was merely taking advantage of a sale. Christmas was just the beginning date for their 4-5 week timeline.

Keeping my fingers crossed for New Years. :)

I’m sorry. I hope it comes soon, and you like it as much as I like mine. A pound of fluffiness in a chosen color is pretty wonderful!

It finally got here this morning. It looks to be all that I had hoped! I'll be checking the temp rating over the next few weeks and am optimistic it will perform as expected.

Yay!

I ordered a Thermodrop, too. I had a dickens of a time gettting the keychain on. I’m waiting anxiously for spring so I can use all of it!

The quilt is rated to 20F. My hope was that it would keep me warm at 30. Last night I used it wearing only base layers and a knit hat and the quilt kept me warm at 29F. I'm sure I'd have been fine had the temps dropped lower, and definitely sure if I'd have added more layers and a Nalgene with hot water. I'm very happy with the quilt's performance for weighing only 1.75 lbs.

As for the Thermodrop... I remember having trouble with the keychain ring, too. One thing you may have noticed, and one you may not have... The darn thing is so sensitive that as soon as you touch the body of the thermometer, the temp reading starts to rise. I either look at it without touching it or hold it by a mini carabiner that I've attached to the keyring. What you may not have discovered yet is that it can be fooled if placed outside under a clear night sky. Radiant heat gets sucked away. If you want to get an accurate air temp reading you need to put it under something to protect against radiant heat loss.

I’ve been very pleased with the quilt I got a couple of years ago. I got and Enlightened Equipment quilt a number of years ago, and that’s when I found that I really like quilts.They were more optimistic about how warm a person might be in their quilt, though. Hammock Gear seems pretty realistic. I’m a fan.

I look at the picture of the Thermodrop, on someone’s jacket, and think that’s not going to be remotely accurate. Years ago I had an analog thermometer on a key chain, and tried attaching it to my jacket. It gave me A temperature, not THE temperature. I think I attached it to the zipper on my fanny pack and found that to be more accurate. I’ll keep in mind that I need to be very careful about where I put it while camping, or I won’t get an accurate answer.

Enjoy your new stuff!

Back