• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Vacuum bag sealer system users speak out.

Removing humid air from fresh food before freezing prevents freezer burn. I get that. But, is vacuum bagging and freezing dehydrated food over kill? (I can think of funner ways of practising my kissing skills.) Won't properly dehydrated stuff last indefinitely?

Thanks for the link, YC. Now I'm glad I store dehydrated stuff in the freezer.

Thanks for that link yellowcanoe; the freezer looks to be the most practical and safest storage for dehydrated food.

I bought one of the cheapy (Glad? Zip-loc?)vacuum sealers and bags from the grocery store. I use it to store one meal portions of the big cans of freezs dried food I buy from Sportsmens Guide after opening them.Lots cheaper that way.
TURTLE

I have a Foodsaver that is 10+ years old now and it has served me well. The bag rolls are the priciest part of the whole proposition. If you are vacuum sealing dehydrated stuff keep in mind the sharp edges of dried food can and will poke through the plastic. I recall using a sheet of papertowel around something dehydrated once, then vacuum sealing and that seemed to help.

Oddly enough I use it more now for portioning food from the grocery store. I will buy a bulk pack of chicken or something and divide and seal then freeze. Not sure if the time I spend portioning it out and the cost of the bags makes me ahead of the game money wise or not, but it makes me feel like I am, and to be honest, that's all that matters.

Back