• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Used vs new - price and value

Not specifically/exclusively, just that the Boreas seems to be the most economical new composite solo canoe (excepting pack boats like Hornbecks) on the market today. Last fall Northstars weren't much above that, but they raised prices over the winter. At any rate, my original question is whether a 30yr old boat should be valued more than a new one (the market seems to say yes), and as examples of the extreme, I referenced the most economical new one to compare to used boats currently for sale. I will admit curiosity about the Boreas generally however.

Not specifically/exclusively, just that the Boreas seems to be the most economical new composite solo canoe (excepting pack boats like Hornbecks) on the market today. Last fall Northstars weren't much above that, but they raised prices over the winter. At any rate, my original question is whether a 30yr old boat should be valued more than a new one (the market seems to say yes), and as examples of the extreme, I referenced the most economical new one to compare to used boats currently for sale. I will admit curiosity about the Boreas generally however.

Depends on the boat. The right boat in the right condition may be worth it to the right buyer. A close to right boat that is available now as opposed to months from now when there might be a price increase could be worth it. If you just flip boats often in an effort to try lots of them, that’s a losing proposition. But if you know what you want and keep it, maybe it’s worth it.

There’s a saying I learned from the Ruger Collectors - you never pay too much, just too soon. I’ve never lost money on a collectible Ruger. I have broken even once, when I sold too soon for a good cause (Northstar Polaris).

I think that answer ought to be no unless the design is a well regarded one , discontinued and the condition mint. The price sought is not always the price settled on.
There is a bit more to it though. Some of the older boats were more robustly laid up, with more fabric in crucial areas. There seems to be a trend to super light and that requires some sacrifices that may or may not work for you.
Yellowcanoe was built in 1993 and is at 15 feet a dedicated solo. But it comes in at near 39 lbs not 25. The other complicating factor is it was laid up by hand. Now vacuum infusion makes the precise ratio of catalyst and resin possible and also exact placement of that combination.
So the correct answer as all answers in canoeing are.... maybe.

In regards to the Boreas: I use to have both setups and wound up keeping only the pack version. The solo version is setup for kneeling which I find difficult due to issues with my knees. However if you try to sit in that "Solo Version" you will be swimming, trust me I know. However the "Pack Version" is an excellent pack canoe. Light, efficient, good capacity and in the light weight boat market the price point is excellent. I've used it on several pond hopping trips in the Adirondacks. Even carried it 3 miles to a lake I wanted to paddle. I also have a Hornbeck "New Tricks" in their basalt innegra layup, another amazing pack canoe.

Thanks for the info, @adkjoe ! Yes, I've actually found I'm more comfortable kneeling in a canoe than sitting in a kayak these days, so I've been on the hunt for solo canoes that I can kneel in, which unfortunately rules out the Hornbecks and many others. Good to know about sitting in the Boreas - I kneel much of the time but it's nice to stretch the legs out in front a few minutes every hour or so. In my current tandem I really enjoy being able to stand on occasion, and I have a large dog who likes to stand, so sounds like the Boreas would be a bit tender for us....

Thanks for the info, @adkjoe ! Yes, I've actually found I'm more comfortable kneeling in a canoe than sitting in a kayak these days, so I've been on the hunt for solo canoes that I can kneel in, which unfortunately rules out the Hornbecks and many others. Good to know about sitting in the Boreas - I kneel much of the time but it's nice to stretch the legs out in front a few minutes every hour or so. In my current tandem I really enjoy being able to stand on occasion, and I have a large dog who likes to stand, so sounds like the Boreas would be a bit tender for us....
From the sounds of it a Hemlock Eaglet is close to what you are looking for.

Hi there-

I have the Upper Boreas… it is very tender. I have been using it a lot… I would HIGHLY suggest demo this boat first. IMHO

DT

Not sure where you are located… but Hemlock does weekly demo in Canandaigua… and some monthly ones as well. They are listed on their website. I did one of the demo evenings… great folks… fun to try the different designs. SRT is nice as well as the Eaglet.
From the sounds of it a Hemlock Eaglet is close to what you are looking for

Regarding pricing of used canoes - I spoke to 3 canoe makers/sellers on pricing my Min2 in Tuff weave. All were within $200 of each other and my own estimate regarding an asking price. It may seem expensive but a new one is $3800 and my boat is in excellent + condition.

What are the options for a potential canoe buyer - pay retail and wait for a new one; buy a good used boat at what seems to be a high price,; buy a beat-up boat for less than a good used; go to a big box store and buy a plastic boat; or sit at home scrolling the internet waiting for a deal.
The prices of everything are high right now and I guess the only way people can change that is to stop buying things and do without until sellers have to lower their prices.

In my career I saw people my age and younger getting sick and dying or being incapacitated everyday and personally I'm not gonna let a few hundred bucks stop me from living my life and doing what I want to do. I worked too hard for too long in a high stress career to waste time waiting or settling for something that is not what I really want

Yes, prices are high right now. Over the last couple of years more people have been getting into the outdoor scene and that takes equipment, whether it be hiking, camping or canoeing. With supply line issues, manufacturers are producing less. More demand plus less supply equals higher prices. Look what happened to used car prices in the past year.

I agree with kbobb about getting out there and enjoying life now; we don't know when our expiration date is up. If you want to paddle and don't have a lot of cash to throw at your desired boat, keep an eye out for a used, already scratched but solid Kevlar boat that is made for your genre of paddling. I have purchased three nice Kevlar canoes at $400 or less in the last two years; a SR Tranquility, a Hornbeck Lost Pond 10 (my wife claimed this one as her own) and a Sawyer DY Special. They all have been used, have a few scratches, but they still handle as they did when they were just off the showroom floor and you don't have to worry about putting that first scratch on it!

So when a usable, well priced canoe is found:
1. Get on the phone or email quickly.
2. Get the canoe and paddle it.
3. If you like it, keep it. Clean it up and give it some TLC.
4. If you don't like it, clean it up, give it some TLC, sell it and look for another canoe.

You can watch life or be part of it. Enjoy that next canoe.

Back