• Happy Birthday, Gary Cooper (1901-61)! 📽️☝🏻🕛

Twig stove

I found no real advantage of a double wall stove on such a small scale, maybe if you get into the gallon can size it might start to make a difference but at the 3" or soup can size I found no real advantage

I can verify anecdotally that a double wall is amazing on a much larger contraption.

I had a bunch of small stumps and trip protruding roots to remove at a friend’s property. At home I have used a 5 gallon metal can with holes in the side and the bottom cut out to burn locust stumps down to ground level, feeding in sticks and twigs to keep a fire going and build up a bed of coals atop the stump.

I couldn’t find a 5 gallon metal can there. What I did find was a 3 foot length of double walled stove flue.

I set that over a stump, filled it with wood and fired it up, adding more wood to keep it filled. It was unimpressive at first, and then, quite suddenly, it took off, pouring flame 2 feet out the top.

I began to run out of downed wood as I moved on to other stumps, so I tried firing it up and dumping a in a bucket of pine cones. Nothing, nothing, nothing. . . . .and then a freaking jet engine of blue flame as the inards superheated enough to ignite the resiny pine cones.

Thanks for the pics of the nomad stoves, I didn't realize that is what they were called.
I did a little more experimenting and cut another section of tube that is an inch longer than the original tube. I also took the advise from earlier and drilled some holes near the top. The bottom of the original was solid and version two I drill some 1/8" holes, I went solid first because I didn't want live embers falling through. Live embers do not fall through the 1/8" holes either and I now get a total burn, nothing but white ash that blows away. Version one always had charcoal left. So holes will be added to version one. I did a side by side test same kindling, same wood and version two got underway faster, burned hotter and completely.

image_zps1yq6dhrz.jpeg

I boiled another quart of water with version two and I used a lid. So new stove and a lid, not very quantitative, but the time to first bubbles, and rolling boil dropped down almost by half. I also feel the times could be influenced by the size of the twigs, smaller ones burning hotter and faster.

Still some playing around to do and I'll let you know the developments as they come about. I am intrigued by the idea of a small production run just for the Canoetripping forum, anyone interested? Ten would be the max I would want to make at least to start. Price still to be determined, among other details depending on interest.
Jim

I'd be interested in seeing what your price would turn out at, as well as what further refinements you come up with. I've built one or two out of tin cans, and could probably do a close duplicate of your current design, but sometimes the finished product is cheaper than the materials, especially if you only need one, and someone else is doing a dozen....

This thread makes me want to dust off my back country boiler and emberlit. I really like the looks of your setup.

I like using stick stoves at home, but on my short (1 week or less) trips, it turns out that a pocket rocket is way quicker and just about the same weight. And after paddling or hiking all day I'm just too lazy to mess with the sick stove!

Back