• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Tortured Ply canoe

So this one is all done, so to speak. Finished up a pack canoe that I started last fall, which took a lot longer than expected, and day before yesterday I decided to get the gorewood ply canoe out of the basement to fiberglass. It emerged from my basement window all eager to go2548D69F-B702-421D-8862-6F6D66CD2DF2.jpeg

Put it on a couple of sawhorses in the back yard and proceeded to sand the rough spots around the stems and the darts along the side. I was pretty pleased with how little sanding was involved - after about 20 minutes with the ROS I was almost done.

Then disaster - one end slipped off the sawhorse as I was tipping it to do the inside. It hit the ground from about 3 feet up and completely snapped one of the lightweight gunnel pieces, while popping the adjacent gore.

0BDFD992-B2FE-4A54-87E8-1C7CB6C3D87F.jpeg

2ADD72AE-4E63-408C-A0F8-1467255E3776.jpeg

It was a clean break with almost no damage to the hull itself - very repairable. I was tempted to clamp it up with some thickened epoxy and add a thin ash strip along the whole length of the inwales to beef things up. It would be an invisible and effective fix.

But in the light of day (as opposed to the dead of winter when I first decided to try this out), the excessive rocker I had created by not being careful enough in my cutting (5 inches at both ends, on a 14 foot canoe) was just too much for me.

I decided not to spend the time and fibreglass/epoxy$ on a boat that deep down I knew I wouldn’t use very much, if at all. So here it sits, waiting for garbage day.

E43B233D-32B7-4F08-A3E1-BFF0A30F3096.jpeg

I am out about $100 for the plywood and maybe another $25 for miscellaneous stuff. Still, money well spent - kept me entertained for a while and I do like the ease and speed of construction. I might try it again, as I can’t shake that divynicell core earworm. I know it is June, but Winter is coming ….

In the mean time, after trashing my rickety old strongback last fall after 4 builds, I am putting the finishing touches on a shiny new one in my garage (my wife is convinced I need professional counselling).

727270D8-3F89-4CF9-B654-68CAFD76578E.jpeg

Thanks all.

Tony

Last edited:
Sorry about that Divinycell earworm...even more regrets for your fatally damaged almost-canoe.
But, as you said, it did keep you entertained...

I had a buddy that I helped build a wood stripped 327 pro boat in, uhmmm, 1980?
He didn't want to spend the extra money for epoxy resin, so he bought some cut rate polyester resin. It had a strong green tint to it, which he decided would be barely noticeable in a 6 oz cloth wet out. I tried to convince him otherwise, to no avail.
He glassed the entire outside and his girlfriend/wife/exwife saw it and screamed "It looks like a Labatts bottle".
So he stripped off all the glass and was sanding the hull clean when the hull slipped off the forms. Fell to the garage floor. Split just a strip or two from the middle. From stem to stem. Yup, two complete halves.

Another buddy and I convinced him to not scrap it, and we helped him glue back together. This time he used very clear epoxy resin. He paddled that hull for ten years, before he tired of the constant rolling and twitching and built a comp cruiser.

Maybe it's not to late to salvage some of that hull. A very short square back? Some fancy bookshelves? Maybe part of it attached to a shade tree, to look like a tornado driven impaler?

I like the impaled tree idea - bow on one side and stern on the other. Or maybe just the bow in lieu of a moose head hanging in my garage.

WOW ! So Sorry !
Even though you don't have the canoe, you have the knowledge. My first stripper, is was such an education ! Comparing it to what I build these days ? It's night to day difference !
Counseling ? Get back on the horse ! What you have done so far is nothing short of amazing !

Good luck on the new !

Thanks for taking us along on the journey !

Jim

Back