• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Thinking about a Quetico trip starting at French lake - need a little help.

Reaction score
Looking for info - especially assistance getting permits from Dawson Trail Ranger Station.

Should I pick up permit in Atikokan, stay in town and drive to put in - keep truck at camp ground? Pick up at Ranger station in Dawson Trail and keep truck ... not sure what to do and what is best option. Also - what is best (safest) place to leave truck for a short 5-9 day solo?

Any info is welcomed - thanks in advance.

Bob.

I think park at and pick up permit at Dawson Trail if that's where you want to enter the park. Could camp there night before if necessary.

that is what I was hoping for - not sure that was allowed if I was not camping there the entirety of my trip. Thanks Bill.

I was in Atikokan a few years back. Stayed in a hotel with no AC and no screens on the windows. Worried about bedbugs the whole night. Think I’ll camp next time.

There is a parking lot exclusively dedicated to paddlers for parking and putting you boat in. Everyone parked at that French Lake lot next to the campground is out on 7 to 10 day trips. It's safe. I left my vehicle there with the other half dozen or so and came back a week later. There are hot showers at the campground as well. If you stay in town in Atikokan a lot of folks like the Quetico Inn or the Otter ( hotel) . I've only stayed at the Railrod inn (b&b) . All 3 are good. Just an FYI.

Back