• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

The Voyageurs

Reaction score
I just found this. What a wonderful "documentary" ...

This short film tells the tale of the men who drove big freighter canoes into the wilderness in the days when the fur trade was Canada's biggest business. The film recreates scenes of the early 19th century with a soundtrack by an all-male chorus.

The Voyageurs

regards
Michael

Last edited:
Very enjoyable to watch, I trip that way these days. Watching from the comfort of my big chair command module sipping hot black tea like the voyageurs of a bygone era. They the long distance trucker of their day.

Great video, very authentic and accurate in detail. I think it gives you a true feeling of what it was like.

Transfigured romanticism is probably out of place here. At least - a lot of hard work - to fill the pockets of others. Just like in modern life.

That was a good one I haven't seen in a while, thank for posting it. Bill mason was one of the camera men and I thought one of the paddlers towards the end looked like it may have been him.

here these are also a great things.

Again The Voyageurs

Where are your Pants? Getting Dressed with a French Canadian Voyageur

There is something positive about the comradery of working hard for long hours within a group, but I bet it also created stress that led to some bad conflicts.
Which is just one reason why I began racing in voyageur canoes in the Adirondacks and the Yukon. Training requirements for 500 miles before racing 500 or1000 miles in the northern wilderness creates a strong comradery.

Back in 1979, Boy Scouts were nearly banned from camping in the Adirondacks by DEC Forest Rangers, due to bad reputations created by all kinds of campers, be they scouts or not. But scouts took the blame because they were the most visible and recognized group from many more regional resident camps than exist today. So a group of outdoor loving caring adult enthusiasts and more than a few caring Forest Rangers, along with a couple of established outfitters, created a training program they dubbed the "BSA Voyageurs". After an 8 day training program geared to potential employees of resident BSA camps who could be certified to be a Voyageur Trek Leader, to lead small groups of scouts and their adult leaders on five day wilderness treks in the Adirondacks either at-large or from established resident BSA camps. BSA National thought so much of the program that they asked the program instructors to create a generalized training document that could be tailored to other BSA treks in other parts of the country. Which we did. I am proud to have been on that instructor team for 30 years.

The NYS outdoor guide's license general test questions were in large part taken from the BSA Voyageur skills program and many graduates to on to receive their state license to guide.

Voyageur program graduates (not everyone passes the tests to graduate and demonstrate the necessary skills and trust to be hired by a BSA camp) are presented in a formal closing ceremony with a custom made wool toque (similar to those as known to have been worn by French Canadian Voyageurs). The toque becomes part of their official BSA uniform, displayed and worn on their belt in warm weather.

1699379086049.png

1699379134593.png
1699378087499.png
1699378749271.png

After seeing this fantastik video I came to the conclusion that this is what I want to find on a jurney with my canoe - maybe together with a friend of mine ...
I hope to find it next coming canoe season here in Germany ore maybe elseweher.

regards
Michael

In late August 1967, I witnessed a group of 10 Voyageur canoes arrive in Pembroke, Ontario on the Ottawa River. They had started out on May 24th in Rocky Mt. House, Alberta, and were destined for Montreal (arriving Sept. 4th) to celebrate Canada's Centennial. They gave us quite a show, some racing, demonstrations, etc.

voy canoe 1967.jpg

Back