• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

The Lowly Whistle: Critical Gear

In river rescue training I received my memory was 1 whistle blast was to halt the group and 3 whistle blasts signal distress, help needed.
I have witnessed and read about a variety of whistle signal formats used by various whitewater groups and associations so it is always best to have discussed before the event what various whistle signals mean.

The two signals that seem to be nearly universal are one long, loud blast, and three loud, long blasts. One blast serves as a "head's up" signal indicating that there is something that requires attention. This most often will be an indication for boaters to hold their position at least until the situation can be properly assessed.

Three long blasts indicate somebody is in distress. This might mean a swimmer or some sort of entrapment scenario. It is not an indication that everyone should start charging downriver to provide assistance. Those who are in a position to accurately assess the problem and are prepared to provide assistance should do so. Others should stay put.

There are some other signals that have been used by some groups. Some will include a two blast signal. Others avoid two blast signals because they can be confused with three blast signals when boaters think they might have missed the first blast. When two blast signals are used they are generally an indication for the group to halt and maintain position.

Some will also include a short, one blast signal to indicate an "all clear" after another signal has been given earlier.

Last edited:
The Fox 40 is not supposed to have a pea. I bought the Fox 40 micros for me and my kids for our PFDs. They are LOUD! And a nice flat form factor.
Got it to work. Takes a stiff blow. I’ll try the sonic blast model. Plenty of places to store one. I’m testing them wet. I’d say only needing a small amount of wind to work is an asset. Image bobbing around in a big lake, exerting energy to right your canoe. I’d likely have trouble with a lot of hard blowing,

Last edited:
The listing below is another option for a similar price,

Benson

We've always carried them on our PFDs. I gave the kids additional ones for day hikes. When you think about it whistles are an ingenious hands-free device for signaling in an emergency. IIRC they are a required piece of kit here where I live and play. I never thought about comparative whistle shopping. I might do that in time for next season. Would make a great Christmas stocking stuffer.

Another NYSDEC officer told me a story about wearing a whistle. While on a SAR incident with others, one of the searchers went missing himself. A short search time later he was found stuck on top of a brush and log pile with an injured leg, unable to get up from where he fell to land immoble flat on his back. He did have a whistle, but it was absolutely unreachable, being buried in his backpack that he was laying on top of. Lesson learned, always carry your whistle attached to a front pack strap where you can more likely always reach it when it is most needed.

Required by the rules during Yukon River races, a whistle, among several other emergency gear items, must be carried in an integral pocket or otherwise affixed to your PFD.

We've always carried them on our PFDs. I gave the kids additional ones for day hikes. When you think about it whistles are an ingenious hands-free device for signaling in an emergency. IIRC they are a required piece of kit here where I live and play. I never thought about comparative whistle shopping. I might do that in time for next season. Would make a great Christmas stocking stuffer.
yup,IIRC, In Canada it's actually the law to carry "A 'sound signalling device'.
A spare (2nd) oar, paddle, or anchor with 15m of line- if you're paddling tandem (the second paddler's paddle counts as a spare)
Suitable pfd's or lifejackets for every person, a waterproof flashlight (signalling, night paddling).
And either a minimum 750ml bailer or bilge pump , the bailer can be a 1l vinegar or bleach bottle or similar with the bottom removed and the lid "secured" (glued on)" sponges don't count but it's a good idea to have one- I jam one of those "peanut" car wash sponges into my bailer.
Interesting fact- inflatable pfd's only count as one if actually worn at all times unless you're in an enclosed cabin, and must be worn inflated until the cartridge and seal are replaced.

I have witnessed and read about a variety of whistle signal formats used by various whitewater groups and associations so it is always best to have discussed before the event what various whistle signals mean.

The two signals that seem to be nearly universal are one long, loud blast, and three loud, long blasts. One blast serves as a "head's up" signal indicating that there is something that requires attention. This most often will be an indication for boaters to hold their position at least until the situation can be properly assessed.

Three long blasts indicate somebody is in distress. This might mean a swimmer or some sort of entrapment scenario. It is not an indication that everyone should start charging downriver to provide assistance. Those who are in a position to accurately assess the problem and are prepared to provide assistance should do so. Others should stay put.

There are some other signals that have been used by some groups. Some will include a two blast signal. Others avoid two blast signals because they can be confused with three blast signals when boaters think they might have missed the first blast. When two blast signals are used they are generally an indication for the group to halt and maintain position.

Some will also include a short, one blast signal to indicate an "all clear" after another signal has been given earlier.
many groups commonly use two SHORT blasts for "hold and monitor" to differentiate between them and the standard 3 long SOS blasts to prevent confusion.

Back