• Happy National Bugs Bunny Day (1938)!❓⬆️👨🏼‍⚕️

The Incredible Righteousness of lightness

It's too bad we don't live closer, we could drop a puck and a couple beers.

Brad I'm from Iowa and don't know what that means. I hope that's not like dropping the soap in the shower. I guess I should clear a few things up. I love you guys. I also loved my dog when he was alive. However, I was not physically attracted to my dog if you get my meaning. Latter, Dave

Note to self; If I ever go tripping with Brad and Mem brig soap on a rope.

Last edited:
Ok Christy, now I know you might have accidentally seen me having a leak behind the shed this summer, but calling me a gram weenie is pretty low:eek:. And I'm certainly not cutting anything off of that thing to save weight, Jebus, lately I can hardly find it in its normal state!

Stripperguy, I like your line of reasoning with the Maryjane for weight savings. Only problem is I hear that stuff is hard on the memory, goodness knows, mine is terrible already. If I smoked that stuff, I'd probably spend an hour each morning looking for the keys to the canoe!

Rippy, I always knew you were normal, and at least you're not a gram weenie, so you can pee in the woods with pride, instead of slinking off to the the backdoor of Mordor so people won't catch a glimpse!

Ok, maybe I've gone too far this morning. Gotta go snow blow before work and dream of open water!

Rippy, you're perfectly safe with me on a trip. Just don't mention any trigger words, or combinations thereof. You can print them, send them, even think them. Just don't say them. Otherwise I go fruit loopy nut bar swinging in the trees over the edge. Words like "Was that the last of the toilet paper?", or "Oh, sorry Brad, I think I just ate all the bacon", or "I'm a bit of a gram weenie so I rooted through your stuff and left behind your Scotch, socks, and bug spray." Rippy, you can stop reading this post right here.

Okay, the rest of you folks...I'm not buying Rippy's "normal" routine for a second. He's a nice guy and everything, but all his talk about chain mail and Middle Earth makes me think he's into fantasy re-inactments. We have a whole buncha books at home here about dragons and wizards and stuff, and the complete DVDs of Lord of the Rings etc, but Rippy is making me nervous. I'd still canoe trip with him, but I'm just afraid I'll step outta my tent one morning and into this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yka2v1l3Tlc
If we're ever in camp and he pulls a chain mail shirt and a plastic sword out of his pack and says "Let's play a game", I won't be responsible for my actions. I'm gonna kick his Hobbit arse back to the Shire.
And if you catch me laughing hysterically and acting like an elf, feel free to kick mine too.

Back to the OP. Red Langford sums it up perfectly in post # 14. I'm still deciding what is important to me on portages and in camp. Different trips do mean different gear. Easy trips mean camp comforts, harder trips mean gram weenie thinking. Christy, we have a "heavy" propane Coleman stove, and love the ease of using it. It goes on our slo mo trips. This winter I'm intending to dehydrate, and rethink our kitchen gear. Yes I'm wandering into gram weenie territory, but I'm more interested in saving pack space than weight.
I hate bulky items (says the man who needs to shed a few pounds).

I'd rather paddle and carry a wood canvas canoe and look at wet canvas packs all day than go light weight, but that's just me.
I test paddled a friends rental one time in Quetico, it was a clear Souris River solo with a double blade, you could see the water line through the hull. Very lightweight, bobbed in the water, very fast, aluminium gunnels, got him from point A to point B very fast and easy, but just didn't cut it for me.
I was glad I'm not hooked on weight or cutting weight.

16' Pal with canvas packs on the Rivere Noire

Robin, until I started hanging out at Solotripping.com and now here, I didn't know anything about wood and canvas canoes. The only W/C canoe I had ever seen until recently was in the museum in Kenora, right beside the birchbark canoes. Mihun graciously showed her beautiful canoes to me when I went to Warren, so now I get the deal about W/C canoes. BTW, the Morris is the most aesthetic canoe shape that I have ever seen. The reason you W/C canoers insist on taking these canoes is that you want to travel in a real canoe instead of a tin can or a plastic or epoxy shell. Same with the rest of the gear, the packs, the paddles, the tent etc. You require the real thing instead of "fake" stuff. In the picture of your outfit - it all fits, it belongs in the frame, no gaudy orange pack, no ugly bent shaft paddle, no tacky coloured canoe, but real wood ribs and real canvas packs. I like it.

As for double blades, no thanks, I don't get that at all. They seem to work for some, but not for me.

I have what I have, and am what I am, and there is no right or wrong when it comes to weight or gear.

Happy tripping.

Hobbit my azz, Brad it figures you'd fancy your self an elf. You might be a Wood Elf at most.

Last edited:
I already commented early on. Having grown up in a canoe and on the lakes/ponds of the Adirondacks, it is probably no surprise that I have similar thoughts as other Adirondack paddlers. Perhaps one of the most famous being George Washington Sears aka "Nessmuk", who wrote, "Go light; the lighter the better so that you have the simplest material for health, comfort and enjoyment."

I have his books and have read them many times. Nessmuk spent allot of time being entertained as a "guest" in other's camps. Probably because they noticed that he didn't bring much with him.

I have gone ultralight and enjoyed it, don't get me wrong. When i was into record breaking, I routinely took almost nothing with me. Tiny tent, small sleeping bag, very little food, no stove, no water filter, no axe, pretty much nothing, not even booze. I paddled and portaged from dawn till dusk, and i loved it. I'm older now, and in no-where near the condition I used to be in, and ironically, I now go a lot heavier. When i was capable of moving big loads quickly, I took small loads. Now when i'm less capable, I take big loads. But it's not about covering as much territory as possible in the shortest amount of time now. I'm trying to slow down and savour the experience. I think part of that experience might be savouring more traditional aspects of canoeing too, hence my new build of the chum as my new solo. I paddled asymmetrical canoes for a long time, and they were efficient, but dang were they ugly!

I have his books and have read them many times. Nessmuk spent allot of time being entertained as a "guest" in other's camps. Probably because they noticed that he didn't bring much with him.

Assuming facts not in evidence. ;)

Assuming facts not in evidence. ;)
I had noticed while reading his adirondack letters he writes of staying at Inns and in bark camps quite a bit. In fact in his writings he gives reviews on most of the Inns he passes on his journeys. Doesn't mention much about setting up his own camp does he. I do enjoy reading his writings about once a year.

I see storm clouds approaching. I know that Rippy (aka Balinor, Frodo dodo or whatever his name is http://www.myprecious.us/name_generator.php) is just looking for a can of elven whoopass. No takers here. I checked some old posts. He's waay bigger than my hobbit size. I'm backing down, to swill ale and smoke pipe weed another day.
As far as this growing grumbling difference of new/old, light/heavy/, mod/trad opinions...I'll paddle in both worlds if I can. Yes, I was smitten by Robin's photo of his Chesnut on the Noire, and I ponder if it might be worth it to me to trip with that beautiful craft and gear. I'm still pondering.
Some enjoy slowing down and savouring the whole experience (Me now). Others get thrills from challenges and physical exertion (Once upon a time, but not me anymore). Here's something you might find interesting. http://brentrun.me/what-is-the-brent-run/
Ugly asymmetric? I disagree. I find the slim lines and lowered stems of these canoes attractive. Hopefully if I'm up to Geraldton or Warren, or over to Conn. some day, I'll be given the privilege of test paddling one of these older/heavier/traditional canoes. That might just turn my head around, and plunk me down into a whole new-old wooden world.

No storm clouds here Brad, I enjoyed your post. And Duct Tape I mean no offense, I just read his letters differently is all. Maybe I read wrong, it wouldn't be the first time. Peace out.

I'm 57 now as of this month. Sort of an old 57 at that with lots of aches and pains. I am working on that with a goal of some day being a young 60. I am not in a hurry and normally only cover 10-15 miles a day on lake travel depending on the wind. Wind has a bigger affect on me being I'm paddling solo. I am more into smelling the roses than racing past them to get to camp. My outfit serves it's purpose and works well for me. When I can't portage anymore I guess I'll pick some easy river trips.

I am 63 be 64 in a month, I paddle a 72lb MRC Duck Hunter, doesn't give me any trouble at all. Of course its better when my son goes with me, let him carry the heavy weight HAHA!!! That's what make canoeing interesting.

No Title

Bring it all I say, at 61 I have to keep testing myself. But... in summer months, I go light, because I don't stay in one spot for long. 15' w/c canoe. Hennesey Hammock ( best sleep ever ). Titanium twig stove, Ramen, dried fruit and granola.

Picture - 20' OT, gear for two old Men for a week. ( 2 complete canvas tent / woodstove Kits)

Attachments

• photo1298.jpg
    photo1298.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo1299.jpg
    photo1299.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 0
Back