• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

The Advantages of Screwing on Gunnels !

I used cherry for my outwale and sassafras with a black walnut strip for a little more depth, and to reinforce my scarfed joints for the inwale. Didn't have any solid plan in mind, just thought it would look good. I didn't have any ash and I had plenty of cherry. The outwale I made about 11/16 wide and an inch deep, so I could cover part of the strip below my shear strip, I thought it would be more structurally better.

Here's what I was thinking about screwing instead of glueing. This is my opinion: When you drill or punch a hole thru a strip of wood, you are now weakening that piece in that spot. You will be displacing or removing wood to make the hole, and also displacing the wood fibers. With glueing you are adhering that whole piece, intact, un-fractured, un-compramized and now it has become one with your canoe, laminated.

Roy

I had an old fg Wenonah race boat which just had cedar inwhales, which were quite thin, probably 1/2". Amidships there was an additional piece of some other (darker) wood for reinforcement. The gunnels were glued on, and the aluminum thwarts were through-bolted on with escutcheons on the outside. I know it's not a stripper, but.....

How many times do you think that canoe has had it's gunnels replaced ?

To the actual question, I’d say at least twice so far, that may be the reveal for the third regunwaling. The extra holes at the stems could be from pop riveting vinyl deck plates. I’ve had a couple derelicts come through the shop looking like that, ready for a 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] set of gunwales.

It would be fun to know the actual history of that thick, old school RX canoe; it’s hard to rot off vinyl gunwales. Could be someone destroyed a set of aluminum insert vinyl or wood gunwales, redid it with wood and subsequently rotted those off.

Whatever its story I expect there was some history of storage mistreatment necessitating multiple gunwale replacement, and screws at least made that unfastening easier.

Dealing with the array of 150 existing holes along the sheerline, not so much.

Back