• Happy Star Wars Day! 🌇🚶🏼‍,👑👊🏼🔙

That’s one way to regunwale a canoe

That's some nice work. I like the styrofoam blocks under the seat, adds support, flotation and maybe even store some beer in there.

​That is upsetting ! I only wish I lived close enough to buy !

I wonder what Merrimack model it is (was)?

11 feet seems awfully short for a tandem. Merrimack made a 13 foot x 39 inch Sport canoe, the Osprey.

Please God. No. It's too close. I would be shot. I don't have the talent to fix Merrimacs.
I could get it within 70 minutes

Aaaagh! My eyes! They bleed! Oddly enough, the rest of the hull looks like it would not be all that bad to salvage, though.

What in the world was going through his head?

I have never seen anything like that......ever. It's really bad, but one has to admire the determination of the person that did that. Just not enough determination to find out how to do it right, or follow the example of how it was originally done. It sounds like the seller was throwing in a board to do it right, so that's good.
Jim

It sounds like the seller was throwing in a board to do it right, so that's good.

For the price the inclusion of a 16 foot 1x6 of mahogany board makes it almost attractive. If only it was any other vintage Merrimack, a Pennichuck or Prospector , a Souhegan or even a Squirt.

A 13 foot long x 39 inch wide canoe is dang near a coracle.

Last edited:
No Title

Actually that is similar to what the Mad River Courier I bought several years ago looked like when I got it. One small section on each end and the same on the inwale as well. heck, it even came with plywood seats screwed into the side of the hull! But I only paid 75$ for that!

dougd

Attachments

• photo4870.JPG
    photo4870.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 0
I hope whoever buys it knows how to steam bend wood if they try to use that mahagony.

The Osprey was only 13 feet long, but 39 inches wide, so not only is there is a lot of ( ) going on in a short distance, but it also has 10+ inches of stem rise, 11 ½ inch center and 21 inch bow and stern.

I hope whoever buys it knows how to steam bend wood if they try to use that mahagony.

The Osprey was only 13 feet long, but 39 inches wide, so not only is there is a lot of ( ) going on in a short distance, but it also has 10+ inches of stem rise, 11 ½ inch center and 21 inch bow and stern.
I was thinking more along a mahogany table top..! uh except we do need to steam bend mahogany for an old Robertson anyway

This is what the canoe should look like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZTFL_y8WoM

Last edited:
I was thinking more along a mahogany table top..! uh except we do need to steam bend mahogany for an old Robertson anyway

This is what the canoe should look like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZTFL_y8WoM

OK, I have to admit, that is the most attractive beanpod Sport canoe I have ever seen, even with a keel.

Come on Kim, you know you want it. 70 miles away. . . . . .

In all seriousness it might be worth passing the link along to some New England canoe restorer. Your commission could be the mahogany plank.

I know DougD is anxious to try his hand at steam bending. Better move quick.

EDIT: I am curious. As a Craigslist seller can you tell how many times your ad has been viewed?

If so, the seller, who seems honest, forthright and reasonably priced, must be wondering WTF just happened.

Last edited:
Actually Mike I don't think you can regunwale a canoe like that unless its for ornamental purposes only.

Can't imagine what they were thinking/drinking.

Then again on a closer look, it appears to have seen water after the "repairs".

Last edited:
I know.. I will have dreams. Nor ornamental dreams.. I suspect that someone did not have a steam box. And did have the mahogany which defies bending easily. And wanted to paddle and jury rigged to allow.. We'll be going to WCHA Assembly in two days to pick minds.. might come up with gutter steam box. have no idea.

The hull is glass and cut off its bonds ought to revert to its swelt coracle shape.

We can always go cherry out and spruce in but that is cheating, no?

Robin is not much further away than I...

Considering what I've seen online mahogany can be steamed but I'll never try it. I'm sure like you said Kim there are other woods that would work as well. I'm sure you'll get some answers at WCHA. I'm a novice when it comes to steam bending, in fact don't even want to try it despite the fact that I have 95% of the materials to make one. It's an interesting hull but not for me right now. I hope somebody goes for it!

Back