• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

One canoe to rule them all?

Reaction score
You could buy a 16' Prospector tandem and never have to buy another canoe. You and your wife/girlfriend can take it down that class II+ river one weekend, paddle Labyrinth Canyon, the following week, and paddle it solo by paddling backwards from the bow seat, the weekend after that.
Sometimes I wish that's what I had done and sometimes I think I should sell all my boats and get a Prospector.
But that's not what I did and probably not what I will do. My feeling about the Prospector has always been Jack of all trades, master of none.
I wanted the best tool for the job, not a Leatherman.
The problem is I've probably got over $25,000 invested in boats and paddling related gear and I can't park in my garage.
Where do you fall on this?

Just for a real life comparison, It's a lot cheaper to have multiple canoes than multiple wives. $25 g's is only a year or two of alimony. So if you feel the itch for change, buy the sleekest, lightest, most attractive composite wonder canoe, take it on some wonderful adventures, and if you grow tired of it, sell it and buy a new one. Repeat until all of your itches are scratched.

I am an advocate for the prospector. I have a 15 foot Chestnut Prospector and it has been ( by far ) the best canoe I have ever owned. I paddle day and Wilderness trips. Empty and loaded, in current or flat water, wind, … this has been the best canoe I have ever owned. That said, I can no longer paddle kneeling and just can not put a seat in that wonderful canoe so I do not paddle it more than day trips now. That said, the 15 foot Prospector is ( in my opinion ) the best canoe I have ever paddled. It tracts very well with a decent J stroke, is extremely maneuverable, good in wind from any angle, lively yet stable and even though a bit wide still has a good turn of speed. As a rubber necking day boat, fishing canoe, tripping canoe it simply is the best boat I have ever paddled. Mine is rigged as a humongous solo to paddle with my 65 pound dog. I am 6’2” and about 220 Pounds.

Bob.

You could buy a 16' Prospector tandem and never have to buy another canoe.

What 16' Prospector?

About 12 years ago on the former solotripping.com site, I researched and found almost 30 then-current canoes bearing the Prospector name. They varied wildly in specs. There may be more now. I no longer have that research because that site went defunct, but I do recall nominating the Stewart River 16' Prospector as the most faithful wood/canvas canoe to the 16' Chestnut Prospector Fort paddled by Bill Mason, and the Nova Craft being the closest composite in specs.

In subsequent conversations with Alex Comb at Stewart River he told me that the 16' and 17' Chestnut Prospectors varied in shapes and specs over time as the forms got deformed or replaced. Thus, he doesn't claim that his Prospector is a faithful reproduction of any of the several Chestnut Prospector models.

Of course, you can buy or restore an old Chestnut Prospector and paddle it the various ways you describe. But I wouldn't want to carry a canoe that heavy on long ports, especially as I've aged.

I don't think a 16' long, 15" deep, rockered Chestnut Fort would be the kind of canoe I would enjoy soloing on lakes, particularly in wind. I've paddled the 16' Nova Craft blue steel model on a river; it handled okay but was a somewhat large canoe for an empty solo day paddle.

In short, my opinion is that there is no one canoe that can do it all, but there are several canoes that are reasonable candidates for the "do-it-all-okay" crown, including my original Mad River Explorer.

Instead, I've always operated on the principle of getting the best specialized canoe for the significantly different niches of paddling waters and paddling techniques, and then learning how to paddle them properly. The consequence of that philosophy, as mentioned, is a large investment of money in several canoes (and kayaks) and needed storage space.

Fortunately, canoeists can enjoy the hobby with just one canoe, or a few, or many. It's not really that expensive a hobby, amortized over a lifetime, compared to many other hobbies or obsessions that folks engage in.

As one without a ton of storage space, I tend to gravitate towards the generalist hulls. Also, I'm cheap, and don't buy boats just to buy boats, even though I am lucky enough to have the funds to do just that. So, I have two Mad River Explorer 16', one Kevlar for most of my paddling needs and one Royalex for when I know it's going to be a beat-down run without any portages. I have an 18'6" Kevlar Mad River Lamoille when my wife and I want to go fast with a lot of gear and a dog. A Hemlock SRT, which is a great solo boat for everything I do, when I don't want to bring the tandem or if my wife doesn't want to paddle. A no-name Dacron skin-on-frame lightweight solo canoe when the wife wants to come with me but wants to paddle solo. And three river touring kayaks for the rare times we decide a kayak is the boat for the job.

Sure, that's more boats than most folks, but I don't really have the room for more. And these boats do everything I have ever needed them to do.

-rs

I tend to gravitate towards the generalist hulls . . . .

. . . and then divulges that gravity has attracted eight boats to his collection. Well, "generalist" doesn't have a fixed meaning either. Although I've never met RS, it was his pictures of his Hemlock SRT about 15 years ago that got me interested in buying mine.

It's also interesting that RS has invested in two MR Explorers, a Royalex one being my first canoe purchase 43 years ago. Here's my daughter paddling it from the wide centralized seat I installed on North Pond (Oxford County), Maine, in the mid-1980s.

Kelly North Pond Mad River Canoe.jpg

I believe @PaddlingPitt has owned and paddled both a Mad River Royalex Explorer and a Royalex Wenonah Prospector extensively on his many Barren Lands canoe trips. I'd be interested in his evaluation of the two canoes as river and lake boats.

[QUOTE="Glenn MacGrady, post: 157

I believe @PaddlingPitt has owned and paddled both a Mad River Royalex Explorer and a Royalex Wenonah Prospector extensively on his many Barren Lands canoe trips. I'd be interested in his evaluation of the two canoes as river and lake boats.
[/QUOTE]

I’m not anywhere near an expert on canoes, Glenn, not even on the canoes that I have owned and paddled. Kathleen and I bought our first canoe in 1987, a 17.5 foot Clipper Tripper from Western Canoeing in Abbotsford, BC, a little east of our home at the time in North Vancouver. Marlon, the owner of Western Canoeing asked what kind of canoeing we had in mind. When we said lake, he recommended the Tripper, as a fast boat with excellent primary stability.

Two years later we did our first river with our canoe club, and decided we wanted to focus on rivers. We went down to the canoe store in Vancouver, where the guy recommended a Blem Mad River Explorer. We did no investigation of other models or makes. But we loved that Explorer. Was it fast on lakes? Probably not. Almost certainly not. But we have never been in a hurry on wilderness trips. After all we were there to enjoy ourselves, not to race the clock.

People say that the Explorer can’t handle water above Class 2. I say to them, “Don’t always believe what you think.” In 1990, with two other couples, Kathleen and I paddled the South Nahanni River in the NWT, starting from the Moose Ponds, which included 50 km (30 miles) of virtually continuous Class 2-4 whitewater. Our group scouted the first rapid, but then just ran. One of the other couples was also in a Royalex Explorer. Despite being fully loaded, our boats handled well in all the rapids. No problems, even in Class 3 and (maybe) Class 4.

In 1997 Kathleen and I paddled the Seal River down to Hudson Bay in northern Manitoba. I read Hap Wilson’s article in Kanawa about his trip down the Seal. The second paragraph stated “We had just finished running Nine-bar Rapids, a notorious 3.5 km long hair-raising roller coaster ride classified as a Class V rapid by Parks Canada.” Hap noted that there are inherent problems in river classification ratings, but wrote that “Everyone we talked to said that we would have to portage Nine-bar rapids, but we ran it in all its gruesome entirety.”

Kathleen and I scouted the first half of Nine-bar Rapids, but once back in the boat, we just ran to the end of Nine-bar Rapids. The fully loaded Explorer had no problems.

We have spent a lot of time and distance on tundra lakes in our Explorer. Often battling strong winds. We have been completely satisfied.

About ten years ago we bought a Royalex Wenonah Prospector. Our Explorer had suffered 37 cold cracks all the way through the hull, and the nearest canoe store, three hours away in Regina, didn’t carry Explorers. We have not tripped in challenging rapids with the Prospector, but have paddled on large lakes, including the East Arm of Great Slave. It probably has similar speed to the Explorer, as in not much. It is more rockered than the Explorer, so likely handles white water a little better. I did find it a little more difficult to turn, to clear points in strong side winds. But that could have been due to our not so perfect trim, or perhaps because of the greater rocker compared to the Explorer.

That’s about all I can say, other than “Give me a canoe and I will paddle it.”

Last edited:
Two years later we did our first river with our canoe club, and decided we wanted to focus on rivers.

I seem to recall a picture of Kathleen in a solo whitewater canoe in your BC club years. Am I remembering correctly? If so, what were you paddling when she was in that canoe?

I seem to recall a picture of Kathleen in a solo whitewater canoe in your BC club years. Am I remembering correctly? If so, what were you paddling when she was in that canoe?

Here, @PaddlingPitt, is your post with Kathleen in a Mohawk XL 13, except I can't see the picture anymore, likely because it wasn't uploaded to our server or it didn't survive the vBulletin-to-Xenforo migration. If you want to go back and fix the picture, pm me.

I have a 17’ Chestnut Prospector which I picked up for future canoe trips here in Maine with my daughter and family. When my son in law and his oldest son tested it last year up at Deboullie in northern Maine they found it very tender or tippy. They are both over 200lbs, the canoe was empty so I’m going to drop the seats some. I soloed it without any issues, but I prefer my 16’ Chestnut Cruiser solo.

20220805_152113_Original.jpegIMG_3706.jpeg

As a former toolmaker, my coworkers (all of us highly trained and experienced) and I used to say "Anyone can do the job with the right tools, but it takes a skilled craftsman to do the job with the tools at hand."

The same for canoes and paddling...
While I'll concede that there are grossly unsuited hulls for certain situations (Olympic C1 on class II, dedicated whitewater playboats on open lake crossings) I'll say that many compromise hulls can be just fine with sufficiently adapted technique. Ideal? No, but the deficiencies can mostly be overcome.
Kinda like the alpine skiers that insist on 5 or 6 pair of skis to precisely match the conditions. Hogwash, I say! Develop on your ski technique to utilize non-optimum skis in various conditions.

With all that ranting out of the way, I'll admit that I believe that solo paddlers should use a solo boat, and tandem paddlers a tandem hull. So, in my humble, and jaded opinion, a dedicated tripper needs two boats, and that's it.
A solo Kite, and a lighter version of a Sawyer Cruiser. Done!

You’re correct, Glenn. Kathleen was in an administrative position at the University of British Columbia. During a period of work stoppages, she was required to put in a lot of overtime. When the larger than usual pay cheque arrived, we briefly discussed what to do with the extra money. “Well,” I said. “It’s your money. Do whatever you want with it.”

“I want to have a Mohawk XL13, like Peter.”

So that’s the solo whitewater canoe you saw her paddling, on the Seymour River in North Vancouver. I then started soloing our Mad River Explorer.

Prospectors are hard to beat, but I have never paddled one. They are scarce in the West. The two canoes that make me warm and fuzzy are the old Sawyer Charger in kevlar at 18 1/2 feet and 15 inches deep and the venerable old OT Tripper 172. Sometimes I just want to paddle a Tripper.

I am an advocate for the prospector. I have a 15 foot Chestnut Prospector and it has been ( by far ) the best canoe I have ever owned. I paddle day and Wilderness trips. Empty and loaded, in current or flat water, wind, … this has been the best canoe I have ever owned. That said, I can no longer paddle kneeling and just can not put a seat in that wonderful canoe so I do not paddle it more than day trips now. That said, the 15 foot Prospector is ( in my opinion ) the best canoe I have ever paddled. It tracts very well with a decent J stroke, is extremely maneuverable, good in wind from any angle, lively yet stable and even though a bit wide still has a good turn of speed. As a rubber necking day boat, fishing canoe, tripping canoe it simply is the best boat I have ever paddled. Mine is rigged as a humongous solo to paddle with my 65 pound dog. I am 6’2” and about 220 Pounds.

Bob.
So you've paddles a real prospector and not some poser.
Can't say I have.
I feel you about the knees. I won't even kneel for a day paddle.
Around these parts you can sell a used prospector about an hour after it goes on Craig's List.
I kind of liken it to ethnic food. I may like Italian, you might like Mexican. Both of us are right.

What 16' Prospector?

About 12 years ago on the former solotripping.com site, I researched and found almost 30 then-current canoes bearing the Prospector name. They varied wildly in specs. There may be more now. I no longer have that research because that site went defunct, but I do recall nominating the Stewart River 16' Prospector as the most faithful wood/canvas canoe to the 16' Chestnut Prospector Fort paddled by Bill Mason, and the Nova Craft being the closest composite in specs.

In subsequent conversations with Alex Comb at Stewart River he told me that the 16' and 17' Chestnut Prospectors varied in shapes and specs over time as the forms got deformed or replaced. Thus, he doesn't claim that his Prospector is a faithful reproduction of any of the several Chestnut Prospector models.

Of course, you can buy or restore an old Chestnut Prospector and paddle it the various ways you describe. But I wouldn't want to carry a canoe that heavy on long ports, especially as I've aged.

I don't think a 16' long, 15" deep, rockered Chestnut Fort would be the kind of canoe I would enjoy soloing on lakes, particularly in wind. I've paddled the 16' Nova Craft blue steel model on a river; it handled okay but was a somewhat large canoe for an empty solo day paddle.

In short, my opinion is that there is no one canoe that can do it all, but there are several canoes that are reasonable candidates for the "do-it-all-okay" crown, including my original Mad River Explorer.

Instead, I've always operated on the principle of getting the best specialized canoe for the significantly different niches of paddling waters and paddling techniques, and then learning how to paddle them properly. The consequence of that philosophy, as mentioned, is a large investment of money in several canoes (and kayaks) and needed storage space.

Fortunately, canoeists can enjoy the hobby with just one canoe, or a few, or many. It's not really that expensive a hobby, amortized over a lifetime, compared to many other hobbies or obsessions that folks engage in.
That was exactly my point in a response to someone else's post. Not only are there a ton of boats, with varying degrees of rocker, etc. bearing the name prospector, but there are a number of boats that could be called prospectors, but aren't. I liken it to calling a vehicle a pickup. A Chevy might not be exactly like a Ford but you can look at both and everyone would agree they are pickups. Prospectors vary but they are similar enough that when someone says prospector you have a good idea about what you are talking about.

As a former toolmaker, my coworkers (all of us highly trained and experienced) and I used to say "Anyone can do the job with the right tools, but it takes a skilled craftsman to do the job with the tools at hand."

The same for canoes and paddling...
While I'll concede that there are grossly unsuited hulls for certain situations (Olympic C1 on class II, dedicated whitewater playboats on open lake crossings) I'll say that many compromise hulls can be just fine with sufficiently adapted technique. Ideal? No, but the deficiencies can mostly be overcome.
Kinda like the alpine skiers that insist on 5 or 6 pair of skis to precisely match the conditions. Hogwash, I say! Develop on your ski technique to utilize non-optimum skis in various conditions.

With all that ranting out of the way, I'll admit that I believe that solo paddlers should use a solo boat, and tandem paddlers a tandem hull. So, in my humble, and jaded opinion, a dedicated tripper needs two boats, and that's it.
A solo Kite, and a lighter version of a Sawyer Cruiser. Done!
A white water solo a flatwater solo a white water tandem a flatwater tandem, a white water kayak and touring kayak, an inflatable kayak,
There's seven.
Then there are the in between rivers. You could paddle your banana boat through Ruby-Horsethief, but it would be slow and frustrating, or you could take your Wenonah, but it would probably take on a lot of water and you might crack the hull.
Or, get one 16' prospector.

I have a road bike, a few in fact, but I put slicks on my gravel bike and use as my main road bike. If I want to go off road I use my MTB. But I could get along pretty well with just the gravel bike. Slicks for road, and fatter knobbies for off road.
But I'm at a disadvantage on group rides, where everyone else is on Specialize Tarmacs and the like, and I'd never do the White Rim with it.
There's a difference between getting by with one bike and one bike being the best option for every situation.

I've soloed in Nova craft Prospectors when I've had to. NC is supposed to be close to the original Chestnut. Our school club had some original16 foot cedar canvas Chestnut Prospectors, and I have soloed in those too. The bicycle analogy is a good one. Sure, I could peddle across Canada on a Mountain bike with fat tires, but I would much prefer to do it on a dedicated road bike. Same goes for solo canoe trips. I enjoy the advantages of a dedicated solo, ranging from lighter weight on portages to generally faster paddling in diverse conditions.

Back