• Happy National Bean Counter Day! 🫘🔢🧮

Tent Pole Problems x 2

Reaction score
I need advice on buying a new tent I can rely on.

While preparing for a recent trip, I set up my 14 year old tent to reseal seams in the fly. While waiting for the seam seal to dry, one of tent poles split. The poles run from one corner of the base of the tent to another -- pretty standard system. The poles are about 3/8 in o.d. with a male fitting that fit into the unreinforced female end of the next pole. The split occurred in the female end of one of the poles . It was not a windy day. I had used the tent for a total of about 25 nights.

I'd just earned some extra money on a research contract, so I did a web search and read the reviews and went out a bought a new tent. Same size poles, same male end fit into the unreinforced female end, similar bent pole system to give the tent its shape, different manufacturer. Set the tent up in the backyard before leaving for the trip--easy set up -- nice tent. On our first day of the trip, I started to set up the brand new tent and had exactly the same failure to the female end of one of the poles -- I had not forced or abused the pole in any way, no wind. Fortunately, I had brought Gorilla tape and popsicle sticks just in case. That system worked for the seven nights we were out. When I got home, I returned the tent and got my money refunded.

So now I'm looking for a new tent that won't break. I think either I had really bad luck or the almost identical pole systems of both tents is bad design. In addition, because both tents are essentially small domes completely covered with a rain fly, they both had poor ventilation.

I'm considering a Eureka Timberline. I was reminded of them because we saw two different organized groups using what looked like, from a distance, those tents.

So folks, what do you think? What do you use that is reliable, has decent ventilation, and keeps you dry?20220723_093416.jpg

I’ve had a pole crack there on the tighter bent poles around the door that supported the fly. It was the first night of the trip so I repaired it by wrapping the pole with dental floss, just like whipping the end of a line. It worked great and I continued to use the tent on several other trips till I got wet, then I replaced the tent and repurposed the poles.
Jim

I sure love my BA Copper Spur 3 - for one or 2 people. I like my Timberline Outfitter 4 - but nearly 4 times the weight - so only use it when not traveling on foot. (Looking for a solo in the 1 1/2 pound range.)

There are so many decent tents. Many of the models are no longer in production. You don't say, Fritz, what size tent you want or whether you want a two, three or four season tent. There are also tents an many different weight and price points.

I have several tents, which were all acceptable and probably all no longer in production. My latest one, and probably my favorite for a combination of light weight, good height, very good roominess, lots of venting and screening, and two large vestibule areas, is the Nemo Losi 3P, but it's not made anymore. Yes, I like to solo in a three person tent. I like ROOM at night and if I'm cooped up in bad weather.

I have had several dome tents.. None have had any pole splits. They all have alu DAC poles. Looks like your poles were alu.. Fiberglass is never to be trusted.

You don't say, Fritz, what size tent you want or whether you want a two, three or four season tent.

To clarify, I'm looking for a three season tent with generous space for one person--this probably means a tent rated for 3 or 4 persons. I'd like to be able to sit up in the tent and look out a door or window during wet or buggy weather. Both of my previous tents were rated for 2 people, but were barely big enough for me and my gear even when using the vestibules. That said, I'd like a tent that is light enough for trips with portages.

I also want a tent with good ventilation. On this last trip, night time temps were generally in the mid-60s with high humidity, but inside the tent was warmer and more humid and most nights were uncomfortable because of that.
I have had several dome tents.. None have had any pole splits. They all have alu DAC poles. Looks like your poles were alu
Yes, both tents had aluminum poles that look like the ones shown when I did a internet search for DAC poles. Perhaps, I had particularly bad luck as both tents were from reputable manufacturers -- MSR and Mountain Hardware.

In any case, I'd love to get specific recommendations on tents that people have used and loved.

They’re not for everyone but pyramid style tents may be worth a look. I have three of them. They take a little practice setting up but they have some notable features. They have very light weight to space ratio and you can stand in the middle to change clothes in many of them. They are modular so you can decide on taking just the inner or outter piece. They only use one pole, stick, paddle, or can be hung from a tree branch or ridge line. You could even just take the inner mesh tent and suspend it under a tarp just before turning in to get dual function out of your gear.

Good luck,
Barry

I had my eye on a Tarp Tent Double rainbow when i was shopping for a tent, thier line may be worht looking at

Brian

If not already under warranty, you can buy high quality aluminum (DAC, Easton) aftermarket poles and replace what you have (and even larger diameter). I don't have a link at the moment --a long way from my computer.

Fritz, I’ve been trying to buy that “ unicorn “ tent for a while. Light weight is delicate and costly as you’ve probably seen already.
So I picked up a lightweight Big Agnes tent for my portage trips ( few these days).
I picked up an Alps 3 person from REI for those base camp trips. Think 8 lbs, takes up space but so far so good. Under $200 with their discount days. Check out that link posted a bit back.
But I do like the timberline and one is for sake near me on Craig’s list. Then I need the vestibule.
Some new tents have the vent flaps.
Be well.
How was your trip? Going to the jo Mary’s next week.

20220811_091520.jpg20220811_091520.jpg
I have always been a timberline fan, but was unsure of the new ones. Timberline have always been a single wall, but now they have screen on the top. Anyway, my six man one was worn out, so I got a new 4 man. It's a very nice tent. I'm actually in the bush at this moment waiting for people to get up, just took that Pic. The 4 man has lots of room, I can almost stand up, it's the perfect size for my wife and I. If you buy it, get some quality pegs. Pegs are a necessity for this tent and they include the crappiest bargain store pegs.

I used a North Face Rock 22 tent for around 10 years and probably 200 nights. It was bomber, but ultimately succumbed to a split pole end, just like the OP’s. Shopping for its’ replacement, I took a flyer on a Teton Sport 3-man. How good a tent can it be for $140? I’ve spent ~40 nights in it, including some severe wind events, and it so far has held up. Aluminum poles. About 8 lbs. It has some trick vents that are minimally useful, but you really need to leave the fly open for decent air circ.

Uncle Phil’s Wabakimi Project used Eureka Canada Outfitter Timberline 4 tents exclusively. He probably used them before he started the Project when he operated his guiding business, Canadian Wilderness Experience.

Anyway, he told me an interesting story about TL tent poles. He replaced his tents as they wore out. With some new ones he began to notice pole failures that he had not experienced with previous versions of the tent.

On a WP trip he came across three German guys who had suffered an upset and lost their food pack the day before. While preparing food for these hungry guys he learned two of them were metallurgical engineers. He told them about his problem with tent pole failures and they offered to look into it for him. Since they were ending their trip early he offered the use of his house in Thunder Bay for a few days while they awaited their flights home.

He told them to take one each of extra poles he had at his house - one of the older poles (aluminum color) and one of the newer poles (kind of a light amber color as I recall.) They told him they would take them home and analyze them when they returned to work. He kind of doubted he would hear from them again.

Several months later he received a package from Germany. In it was a full report on the analysis of the two poles. The newer light amber colored poles were made of a weaker and cheaper grade of aluminum than the older poles, hence the failures.

I live in Racine Wisconsin and Johnson Outdoors (corporate owner of Eureka, Old Town, among other outdoor equipment companies) is located here. The CEO is Helen Johnson-Leopold, a member of the family which owns SC Johnson, makers of many household consumer products - Raid, Off, Zip-loc bags, etc. I mentioned this to Uncle Phil and he asked me if I would arrange for him to meet the CEO. I explained that I was a retired civil servant and she was a multi-billionaire from a family of multi- billionaires and that we didn’t really run in the same social circles.

But Phil was surprised and pleased when he came out of the bush after that season and found that the Germans had stocked his house with plenty of booze to thank him for his hospitality.

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions. I decided to buy a Eureka Timberline 2 with vestibule. While it seems like the cracked pole problem is infrequent for domed tents, my experience with two tents within a month of each other and reviews of otherwise highly rated tents indicates that split pole ends happens from time to time. I'm not willing to take the risk of that happening again.

The 1/2 inch diameter poles on the Timberline likely mean that broken poles will happen rarely. The tent also is roomier than most of the other 2 person rated tents, though with the larger diameter poles and the greater size it is somewhat heavier than most modern design dome tents.

I'll post a report for our late July trip on the W. Branch of the Penobscot shortly.

Last edited:
I just contacted the maker of my old tent, the first one to have a split pole, and was directed to a company named Tent Pole Technologies:

They were out of stock on poles of the correct diameter to replace my split pole, but they had pole repair sleeves of the correct size, so I bought four, which with postage cost me $12.05. This means I now have a back up and loaner tent.

Old thread, but I am interested in replacing the shock cords in my Eureka Alpenlite.

Searching shows me Quest and Tent Pole Technologies in the above threads. I want to send my poles in for cord replacement and it appears TPT offers that service.

First, has anyone had this service through TPT, and if so, was it a positive experience?

The basic tent design is solid - wasn't really concerned with upgrading the poles themselves - this handles wind and snow with no issue. However, I do feel the shock cords should have held up better - losing some elasticity.

I have never done this before. Any input on the company, thoughts on a good or bad quality cords, or any other tips or tricks would be appreciated.

Thank you!

@Keeled Over , what is the diameter of the cord and the length of the assembled pole? I have rolls of a couple of different sizes of strecth cord and if I have the length you need, I'll mail you what you need. Eureka often uses a small washer and knot in the cord ends to secure the cord (the washer keeps the knot from getting pulled into the pole). If yours has washers, are they still there?

Lance

First, has anyone had this service through TPT, and if so, was it a positive experience?

I have never done this before. Any input on the company, thoughts on a good or bad quality cords, or any other tips or tricks would be appreciated.
Keeled,

I have dealt with Tent Pole Technologies several times, but then I'm local to them, live "across the river" (even though it's about 30 miles between us), so I've driven there and one time had them do the job in front of me, other times they would need more time, so I left my poles and they mailed them back when done. I've had them work on Mtn. Hardware, Sierra Designs, and North Face tents, maybe others. Good people, know what they're doing, and as long as they know what they're getting into, you can accurately describe the problem, and they know from that that they can fix it, there should be no problem at all. The North Face tent pole set they worked on was totally bad bungee cord all the way through. They told me that the supplier to the main manufacturers all ended up with bad product and the problem was showing up from all over the place. That could be your problem. I'd call them and explain your problem if you can.

Good luck.

Back