• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Tackle kit/fishing equipment

I used to fish using spinning gear. Got pretty good at it. Then I learned to fly fish and got pretty good at fly fishing. I gave my son in law all of my fly rods, reels, fly tying equipment and supplies. Took out one of my old spinning rods & reels and couldn't catch a fish with it if the fish was trying to leave the water. Now I need to get me a fly rod, reel, etc. again to take canoeing. Going to concentrate on catching Grayling.

Another item I will take along are these double bladed spinners I make. Attach a worm or dead minnow to the hook and start trolling. They weigh practically nothing so trying to cast doesn't work well.
View attachment 129766
Killer setup used on Saturday mornings on the remote beaver ponds around New Sharon, New Vineyard and Starks.
My brother in law was the guide with his '66 Rover to "get us close"...

Killer setup used on Saturday mornings on the remote beaver ponds...
Remote Beaver Ponds...Great memories of my grandfather driving us out of Ashland down the Realty Rd. He would stop and let us out at a brook with instructions to follow it upstream to the beaver dam and then start fishing. He would wait in the truck and chain smoke cigarettes. My mother would lecture him every time she caught him smoking so he always volunteered to take us places. Anyways back to the fishing. We would catch a mess of trout, bring them home for the best breakfast ever...trout, beans and overeasy eggs...The Best!

Sorry, got carried away with a great childhood memory.

Nothing more precious than memories of grandfathers and brook trout. I treasure mine, they are seasoned with the scent of Prince Albert pipe tobacco in the air.

Remote Beaver Ponds...Great memories of my grandfather driving us out of Ashland down the Realty Rd. He would stop and let us out at a brook with instructions to follow it upstream to the beaver dam and then start fishing. He would wait in the truck and chain smoke cigarettes. My mother would lecture him every time she caught him smoking so he always volunteered to take us places. Anyways back to the fishing. We would catch a mess of trout, bring them home for the best breakfast ever...trout, beans and overeasy eggs...The Best!

Sorry, got carried away with a great childhood memory.
Sounds familiar...

There was an outfitter on a high altitude lake and they had placed a screen across its outlet to prevent "their" fish from escaping. Every Spring the lake would overflow and the specks would get flushed downstream. This was a typical Canadian Shield stream - black, high tannin water, loaded with beach-ball and larger sized stones. One could walk from one side to the other with a little strategic planning. Mom would drop us off and dad and I would work our way down, checking every pool along the way. We would pack a lunch and eat on "la roche platte" (the flat rock) - a 40'x40' slab of stone sitting right in the middle of the stream. It was great. I tried bringing some friends along one time but they couldn't seem to get past the black flies or the constant snagging of their lines in the trees as we moved along the edges.

Back