• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

Sun Hat

No Title

About 10 years ago, my family got me this hat from the "Watership Trading Company" for my birthday.....I to, have a "melon" sized head.....this hat is a XXL and was/is a perfect fit. It has a nice wide brim which is solid enough to not flap in the wind and provides great coverage for the back of my neck. It has a nice adjustable leather chin strap which I usually leave hanging down my back until needed. It is not waterproof, but being waxed canvas, somewhat water repellant.....

Mike

Attachments

• photo6060.jpg
    photo6060.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 0
My daughter bought me an expensive Tilley hat with mesh top sides. It's my go to canoe hat in warm weather. Stays put even without the chin lanyard, is cool and besides it floats! I lost my previous hat in a rapids when it sunk.
Turtle

My wife got me one of those for my birthday last year and I must say I'm quite fond of it. Even when the weather gets down into the low 40's, I'm quite comfortable in it. In warmer weather, as we're known to suffer in North Carolina from time to time, I'm happy to dunk it in the water and put it back on my head for some evaporative cooling.

BONUS POINTS: This hat is available in a Size 8, which I happen to wear. Finding hats that fit my head is an exceedingly difficult challenge, so I'm really thrilled that such a nice adventure hat fits me.

I've used a similar hat as Robin and Odyssey, I can't remember the brand or the model, it is a packer felt hat... A bit warm in the hot summer sun, but not to bad!!

Here's my Tilley hat (lightweight ventilated model) during a Yukon River race. It does get windy on the Yukon, for sure, and there were rare times when the brim would flip up, but the day the temperature was nearing 90 degrees when we crossed the Arctic Circle, this hat was more than welcome and useful. Even in the strongest wind, it does stay firmly attached in place on my head. It will be making its fifth trip north this coming June.

UfnnbDW.jpg

Last edited:
One disadvantage of my Tilley for me was that it took forever to accumulate patina, to not look brand new. For others this may be an advantage.
Turtle

No Title

I'm a fan of the Tilley. As far as I know it is the only hat that comes with a lifetime guarantee, they replaced the one I'm wearing in this photo. It's also insured against loss. I replaced my original Tilley with the "outback" model which is made of waxed cotton and has a stiffer brim.

Attachments

• photo6143.jpg
    photo6143.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 1
My wife and I had Tilleys; I vaguely remember mine. It was the only thing I've ever owned that threatened to outlast me. And it looked brand new, no matter how carelessly I treated it. The rest of me and mine more than made up for the patina it lacked. I suspect I re-gifted it, as I never really liked it's crisp cavalier jauntiness. I'm sure some of you could absolutely rock in that hat, but not me. My wife and I on the other-hand remember her Tilley very well. That's because it went missing, and every time she dons a tripping hat replacement she reminds me of her lost Tilley. I have no idea what became of it, but it's apparently my fault. I didn't keep my eye on her hat when she put it down somewhere, probably on a portage. I did replace it though, with something that resembles a Tilley. It's soft and supple, with lots of character, and a khaki colour. Wrong colour, wrong feel, wrong hat, so I'm told every time we pull our hats out at the beginning of every trip. "Remember my Tilley?!" How can I forget.

^^^^^ Odyssey, It's guaranteed against loss, I think she can get another one for half price. Anyway I hope she didn't have a twenty dollar bill stashed in the secret compartment.

The wives have to have someone to blame. I have gotten blamed for rain in the past.

yknpldr......
How far down the Yukon River does the race go? I was thinking it only went as from Whitehorse to Dawson. Which are nowhere near the Arctic Circle at Fort Yukon or have you paddled the whole river? What was your favorite section? I have only seen the Yukon Territory side from a Super Cub back seat while counting Chinook salmon in the tributary streams at Three hundred feet. I will say that the up river sections are the most scenic. I have power boated the U.S. portion of the Yukon many times, always wore a ball cap and most days a float coat with a hood. Wish when I was younger I had know about skin cancer and sunshine, I would have gotten a bigger hat with a broad brim. These days I have a big Australian Akubra Drover hat, with a large flat brim and a Canadian Mountie/drill instructor crease in the crown. Yes, it does have a stampede strap.

My wife got me one of those for my birthday last year and I must say I'm quite fond of it. Even when the weather gets down into the low 40's, I'm quite comfortable in it. In warmer weather, as we're known to suffer in North Carolina from time to time, I'm happy to dunk it in the water and put it back on my head for some evaporative cooling.

BONUS POINTS: This hat is available in a Size 8, which I happen to wear. Finding hats that fit my head is an exceedingly difficult challenge, so I'm really thrilled that such a nice adventure hat fits me.
I picked up a full brimmed hat at my local west marine, cotton, which I spray with silicone for wet weather to shed some rain. I too give it the water dunk on hot days, nothing like cool water running down your back!
Jason

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

yknpldr......
How far down the Yukon River does the race go? I was thinking it only went as from Whitehorse to Dawson. Which are nowhere near the Arctic Circle at Fort Yukon or have you paddled the whole river? What was your favorite section? I have only seen the Yukon Territory side from a Super Cub back seat while counting Chinook salmon in the tributary streams at Three hundred feet. I will say that the up river sections are the most scenic. I have power boated the U.S. portion of the Yukon many times, always wore a ball cap and most days a float coat with a hood. Wish when I was younger I had know about skin cancer and sunshine, I would have gotten a bigger hat with a broad brim. These days I have a big Australian Akubra Drover hat, with a large flat brim and a Canadian Mountie/drill instructor crease in the crown. Yes, it does have a stampede strap.

There is two different races, the Yukon river quest from Whse to Dawson, and then there is the 1000... From Whse to the Prudoe Bay road bridge if I'm correct!!

Thanks for that information, I have been unaware of a canoe race to the Dalton Highway Bridge. I would not like going through the Yukon Flats prior to the finish. The river is wide, full of islands, old sloughs, and slow water. In a power boat you spend all your time stopping to check for current. I haven't been through there since the advent of GPS, which must be a big help. Map & compass back in the day was a slow go. The bugs & bears there were the worst of anyplace I've been.

yknpldr......
Oh you don't know about the Yukon 1000 mile race, do you?

The 440 mile Yukon River Quest finishes at Dawson.
http://yukonriverquest.com
I've paddled the YRQ twice, in 2008 and again in 2013, soon to be another in 2017.

The Y1K
(http://yukon1000.com)
The Y1K goes from Whitehorse to the Dalton Highway Bridge. The first running of the Y1K was in 2009, which I paddled. I raced it a second time in 2011. After 2012 it went to being held only every second year due to low numbers of entries. I don't understand why it has not become more popular. (the YRQ has filled its quota of 100 entries with a long waiting list in 2017) I hope to race the Y1K again in 2018. The challenges and daily race strategy are much different from the YRQ. Are paddlers reluctant to plan for week-long food and overnight camping on the Yukon? (Race rules require mandatory "nightly" 6-hour rest stops, at wherever you happen to be before 2315 hrs, not at any pre-designated campsites) The YRQ has two mandatory designated rest stops, totaling 10 hours, but the Y1K has none, other than to be off the river between 2315 an 0200 each "night".

The Y1K most definitely crosses the Arctic Circle, in the vicinity of Fort Yukon. Both times in it, I completed the Y1K in about 6 days.

it is difficult to pin down my favorite section, as the entire river is spectacular. It all has much to offer. Perhaps the most fun to run is what is known as the "30-mile", just below lake Laberge. Unlike others, I very much enjoy the Flats as well, with the challenge of locating and remaining in the fastest current for best time travel. Deciding which way to go around the islands and whether to take a shortcut out of the main channel or not will win or lose the race for you.

Then again, the area around Eagle is beautiful too. We are required to stop at Eagle during the race for a border crossing check of our passports.

Passport check stop at Eagle (captain wearing an Amish style straw hat)
TsPaX3y.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for that information, I have been unaware of a canoe race to the Dalton Highway Bridge. I would not like going through the Yukon Flats prior to the finish. The river is wide, full of islands, old sloughs, and slow water. In a power boat you spend all your time stopping to check for current. I haven't been through there since the advent of GPS, which must be a big help. Map & compass back in the day was a slow go. The bugs & bears there were the worst of anyplace I've been.
As team navigator, I plan the "'fastest" route, especially through the Flats, using Google Earth and GPS. I carry 95 computer printed maps with my route for the entire Y1K, including 793 GPS waypoints for the entire route. Each year I modify the waypoints based on past experience plus the data from other racers, and observed changes in the river channel from newly formed gravel shoals.

I am otherwise a dedicated wilderness exclusive map and compass navigator, but hey, this is a money race and unwinnable without GPS.

The Flats are a hoot. (waypoint label numbers are coded with calculated miles in tenths from Whitehorse, plus turn info)
KVEwrrO.jpg

9j71sn1.jpg

Last edited:
But how do you plan for river course changes for a race that is run just every other year? Very educated crap shoot?

But how do you plan for river course changes for a race that is run just every other year? Very educated crap shoot?

There can be many changes to the river channel, shoals and islands each year. The way-outdated Topo maps are a useless waste of time. Google Earth updates images fairly frequently, and the YRQ( to Dawson) and previous Y1K race web pages publish each race boat's route from SPOT transmissions (SPOT is required on each boat), so from all of that I can calculate segmented distance over time which tells me which route detail is the likely better choice. In 2009, after record flooding, much of the shoreline below Eagle looked as if a giant cheese shreader had scoured the trees on the river bank, ripping them down as it also changed the character of many islands. Those same trees appeared many miles later, in the flats, with root balls stuck on the riverbottom and tree tops pointing downstream like weather vanes. it was like paddling through a giant's graveyard full of broken monuments.

The Garmin loaded map on my Gps is often wrong. In one area of the Flats near Circle, we were paddling on what the map showed to previously have been dry land, but the paper GE map I carried accurately showed water. I run two GPS units side by side at my bow position. one displays the map and route plan, while the other displays compass with distance and direction to the next coded waypoint. Both indicate speed (actual and average) and other data.

There are several areas (such as in the Flats and others) where potential shortcuts out of he main river channel are possible (or not). I have those route segments mapped and planned in my GPS as well, to be determined with on-the-spot decision of reading the current flow upon arrival. Often times it makes no difference which side of the island you choose to go, but for those that do matter you had better make your choice as much as a half mile upstream, before the current diverges and you get caught on the wrong side, unable to paddle hard enough to get into the other current. With experience you learn a lot about reading surface ripples indicating current convergence and divergence. Understanding Helicoidal flow surface current on big meandering river bends such as theYukon is a big deal. Get it wrong and you are swept away into a much longer path than you had intended, with not enough available paddle power to resist.

At one point in the flats when we were a bit too complacent and we noted we were being overtaken by a competitor, he stayed in the main channel, while I noted we were at a preplanned potential shortcut. "Team, we are taking the shortcut", in good current saving a couple of miles, we did not see that other canoe again until after we beat them at the finish 2 days later.

After the wicked flooding in 2009,in another area of active cut-bank, the current was no doubt fastest near the active cut-bank, yet there was active undercut happening, with earth and trees falling all around us, causing large waves and generally being a dangerous place to be. The same place was calmer in 2011, but still the fastest way to go.

Yes, in the end it is an educated experienced crap-shoot.

Last edited:
Great information on a race that I didn't know existed. I'm going to call the sports guy at the Fairbanks Daily News Miner newspaper and the TV sports guys to request some coverage in the future. The Yukon Quest Sled Dog Race is finishing up with a winner Matt Hall finishing yesterday and as of last night and this morning five others have finished the racel. I follow this race and the Iditarod carefully from the comfort of my armchair and radiant heated floor in my sun room. With the Spot Trackers on each sled you can follow all the race action.

I have followed the Yukon Quest in the past, but forgot it is going on now. The last time I was in Fairbanks (after a Y1K canoe race), my team met (by chance) and had dinner with Lance Mackey at the Alaska Salmon Bake. Nice guy.

I think sun hats and the Yukon has hijacked this thread.. The Yukon and all aspects of canoeing it deserves its own thread!

Back