• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

Sun Hat

I use a Helmet, Sun that I got in a surplus store back around 1970. Not plastic. but some sort of molded fiberboard covered with cloth. Tan outside and green underneath. Rainproof so far.

Got Tilley T-3's about 25 years ago. Hope they last forever, as I hear the quality has dropped lately.
3" brim, front and rear straps, floats.
Love the dip and pour over head function, that then allows for evaporative cooling. 2 brass grommets in the crown, which makes it less desirable for winter wind on a balding head, but still gets taken on every trip for sun protection.

The biggest issue I have with hats is they make me heat up tremendously. I put out a lot of BTUs so I need something that won't create even more warmth for my noggin. That being said, I've also had 2 skin cancers removed from my temple area at this point. I've tried a Tilley and other broad brimmed hats and like the sunshade effect but still find them too hot to wear. At this point I've gone to an LL Bean nylon ball cap with a slightly longer brim. The hat has mesh built into it and it's about the only hat I can wear comfortably; I even wear it while xc skiing and snowshoeing during the winter. To offset the sun issue I lather every part of my head that is exposed with sunscreen and will continue to hope for the best; reapplying just about every hour as well.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Snapper,

The biggest issue I have with hats is they make me heat up tremendously.

On a hot day, soaking a cotton hat will help keep noggins cool... this works with a baseball cap and caps with no mesh hold more water for evaporation. A sponge will help draw out excess water from the hat and help cool off the rest of your body if you can't jump over the side to cool off.

Canoeing large lakes when it's blazing hot, it's best to swim every hour or so, but sometimes the shorelines are just too rough or mucky and the cool wet hat helps.

PS... whew... only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the noonday sun... shady rest at 35C...

14693268892_dfae51b6bb_b.jpg

Last edited:
frozentripper - Thanks for the advice. I'm well aware of all those tips. Unfortunately, all too quickly after partaking of them, I'm back to pumping out the heat. My typical winter hiking "outfit" is a long sleeve poly t-shirt, vest and a windbreaker with nylon zip-off pants down below (sometimes with, and sometimes without, long underwear). This is what I typically wear for xc skiing and/or snowshoeing. If I get cold I'll add a lightweight wool shirt on top and that's about it. My kids joke that I "overheat" wherever I go.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Back