• Happy Sea Serpent Day!

Strip canoe as home decoration!

Reaction score
I have a high-end client in my building company who has a contemporary home with a 2 story cathedral ceiling family room. As a former canoe racer (flatwater), he decided to use one of his canoes as a "trough" in which to hide indirect lighting sources with which to light his ceiling! I thought some of you guys would enjoy seeing this strip built canoe mounted in a suspended overhead canoe carrier... It has some interesting details in the construction of the 'football', as well as a sabot at the stem/bottom junction point, and the way the strips join the sabot.

The owner indicated that it was used as a plug for building composite boats, and eventually was acquired by Wabash Valley for their use. I don't think this actual boat as built was ever raced.

Maybe I should have included these pictures in the Overhead Canoe Storage post?

In the first picture, the purple extension in the wall with the sliding wood door is a balcony from the master bedroom overlooking the family room. He can look directly along the bottom of the boat from here.

Click image for larger version  Name:	XRhu3K3HTTaCd933HFQ%CA.jpg Views:	0 Size:	139.0 KB ID:	111556Click image for larger version  Name:	+GT%i2xeT8KqYekSBDgdjw.jpg Views:	0 Size:	150.2 KB ID:	111557Click image for larger version  Name:	S%0erdcjQq+NA42YlHIIqg.jpg Views:	0 Size:	149.0 KB ID:	111558Click image for larger version  Name:	vLfUPg%XRDC2TD%6yyFHiA.jpg Views:	0 Size:	177.0 KB ID:	111559

Reaction score
That is pretty Sweet Clint !

Wish I had a ceiling like that ! I'd have at least one canoe up there ! Maybe 3 :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Pretty cool. I had a Wabash Valley X-Cell. Hard to tell from the pics but it's possible it's the same hull.

Alan

Reaction score
WNY south of Buffalo (closer to Turtle than he rea
Several years ago on a Columbus day weekend trip to the Adirondacks I saw a beautifully done cedar strip canoe in the Old Forge Hardware. I fell in love but at 12' length it was way too small for me. But it was small enough to hang on the 16' high wall in our great room. I managed to convince my wife that it was a piece of art and would blend nicely in our rustic home. Then she flipped the price tag ... :eek:

Reaction score
It takes a big space to accept a canoe like that without taking away the feeling of openness. It's a very nice light fixture.

Reaction score
Definitely looks Wabashy with those vertical stems--friend had a Wabash solo racer--all 18 pounds of it!

Reaction score
Oh, it's definitely a big space and easily accommodates the canoe. I think it's around 18' long. That canoe has been up there for 25 years since I was involved in the original construction of the home. The owner is now selling the property, and intends to let the canoe go along with the house as a fixture! Kills me to think that someone who doesn't care about canoes will acquire this beauty.

Here's a link to the property listing... I'm surprised that the realtors didn't include a picture of the canoe in the listing!
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/220-Hunting-Hill-Ln-West-Chester-PA-19382/178211648_zpid/