• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Cedar Strip Basket Case: Advice Sought

Reaction score
So I was walking my dogs near the boathouse and noted a derelict cedar strip canoe with multiple issues. Got it legally released and home to the garage. What a beautiful craft. Can't tell if kit built or store bought but it is 15.5' long, flat bottom 14' 5" and 3' 1/4 at midship gunnels. While I went to wooden boat building school ( about the time of Noah), I have only done fiberglass repairs on Sunfish and Kevlar canoes in recent years. Of course I would like to retain as much beauty as possible without breaking the bank, but the main issue is hull integrity and watertight. I usually use Total Boat epoxy but am open to Forum suggestions on glass type, weight, and epoxy. First issue: Large rip in side-About a foot long from gunnel to small hole. This is amidship. Just home from Maine and the wonderful folks at Greene Marine in Falmouth gave me some mahogany 1/8 th inch veneer that one might use a a patch on the inside of the major rip that you don't yet see below. How to best repair this rip is my main concern. Whether to fit the tear together, then glass in and out, then make a doubled veneer patch on the inside, and glass over that. One also might drill to fix small brass/bronze fittings from the outside into the veneer. Epoxy over that. Second issue: Rip in bottom about 4' long- small separation of glass from hull. Other issues are rotted gunwales, a small hole, and rotted stems. These are not large issues for me. I should add, I have a retired shop teacher up the road with a pretty good shop that I can use. Can't keep the boat there but use his tools and some advice. Pictures will not load on this page. They are from iPhone and loaded on my computer. Not sure how to fix but will be back when figure it out. Thanks for your patience. Bill

Awesome job of repairing what most see as (almost) disposable boats. Every scratch tells a story and that one appears to have lived a long, full life. Thanks for extending that life a bit longer.
Howdy,

Thanks for appreciating the concept of saving the craft for a new/longer life. I think I have finally (at 78) learned the lesson that it is the doing, learning, solving, making mistakes, fixing them and completing a project that is of personal value. When I came home from NAM I was into Mercedes, bought an old one and had it professionally restored. In the end I determined it wasn't my car but that of the restorer. Lesson learned. Thanks for jumping in! Bill

In the end I determined it wasn't my car but that of the restorer.
Yep. I know many people that own classic cars. There is a distinct difference between those that did the work themselves and those that paid someone / bought the restored car. Given that you appreciate this difference, you may want to consider building your own stripper. Lots of moral / vicarious support here and a great winter project... I doubt that you'd regret it.

Back