• Happy Birthday, Liberace (1919-87)! 🤵🏻🎹🕎

Sticky stuff sack situation

G

Actually a sticky compression stuff bag situation. We have several compression stuff bags, in different sizes, from different manufacturers. Some have a waterproof barrier on the inside of the stuff bag. All are stored loosely in a box in a humidity controlled environment.

One of the WP barrier coated compression bags is now excessively sticky on the inside. By which I mean it feels like it was coated with honey. It is not delaminating and does not smell funny, but it gross to the touch and would be sticky sided heck to stuff anything into. And danged if I want my clothes or sleeping bag to come out of a bag honey sticky.

For funsies I tried a Myrazime bath, which, as I expected, did absolutely nothing. Before I move on to a ??? wash any suggestions?

Vinegar and water? Dawn? DougDs miracle cleaner mix, whatever that was?

Ah ha! This explains the smelly clingy coated condition of my old Chlorophylle tarp. Corn starch powder sounds like a good idea, thanks for that.

Last edited:
I've had this happen with a few stuff sacks over the years and when it does, I just line the sack with an appropriately sized plastic bag. Not a great solution I'll admit but it works for keeping my items dry and away from the sticky substance.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

Just scrap and buy/make another!

For compression sacks I prefer to use a non-waterproof design and then store in an outer waterproof bag.

Apparently the new PU coatings use a different lamination process so don't turn sticky like this.

Just scrap and buy/make another!

For compression sacks I prefer to use a non-waterproof design and then store in an outer waterproof bag.

Apparently the new PU coatings use a different lamination process so don't turn sticky like this.

I seriously lack the sewing skills to make a compression bag, and would hate to buy another just because that one is sticky on the inside. It is one of our Sea-to-Summit compression bags which, because of their end cap and compression strap design and construction are my favorites. Like these, but older models:

https://seatosummitusa.com/products/...=7896100995100

That massive 30L compression bag is only useful for the giant zero degree Wiggys bag, which came with a really poorly designed compression bag. It is amazing what a difference design can make on a compression bag.

All of our S2S compression bags have a PU coating on the inside and all were a little sticky right from the get go; only that one, the 30L, developed the severe sticky icky, maybe from lack of routine use. It oddly did not have the vomitous smell that degrading PU coatings usually develop, and a simple Mirazyme rinse did nothing to alleviate the stickiness.

I did not need the PU coating, I store all of our stuff bags inside dry bags, it was more of a design and construction choice at the time, with a bit of belt & suspenders desire thrown in.

unscented baby powder?

I have unscented talc (not corn starch) and will try that on one of the less sticky S2S compression bags.

I've had this happen with a few stuff sacks over the years and when it does, I just line the sack with an appropriately sized plastic bag. Not a great solution I'll admit but it works for keeping my items dry and away from the sticky substance.

Years ago we sometimes lined the plain nylon sleeping bag stuff sacks with a plastic bag. Still do on some trips where we do not have enough coated compression bags.

The garbage bag liner made stuffing a little more difficult, but the sticky inside of that winter bag compression sack might actually make that easier; I think the garbage bag will stick like the dickens to the inside of the compression sack.

I really like those S2S compression bags, and use various the smaller sizes on every trip for clothes and other squishables. I would hate to see them go the stickyicky way of the 30L.

This may turn into yet another shop experiment when I have time. Garbage bag liner, talc, some DWR spray or rinse?, maybe a wash/rinse in a solution of ???

Last edited:
You could try something like 303 Protectant or other silicone spray to provide relief from the stickiness. But otherwise there comes a point for me when the time spent trying to come up with a cure outweighs the cost of a replacement. I guess you could try contacting S2S directly, maybe they will replace the bag.

You could try something like 303 Protectant or other silicone spray to provide relief from the stickiness.

I like the 303 idea. Or maybe some Teflon Dry-Film lubricant, that stuff is really handy.

http://www.tmcindustries.com/product...SABEgIDcPD_BwE

And one with plain talc. Sounds like an experiment, with things I already have in the shop.

Edit: Unlike the out in plain sight cans of silicon spray and WD40 I hide the can of Teflon Dry-Film so that it is not used unnecessarily. I learned that trick after a full roll of Nashua 357 duct tape was used to wrap up waxed cardboard going to the dump.

I do not use that Teflon spray very often, and I hid it very well. Even from myself.

Last edited:
A couple of my Thermarest stuff sacks developed that very sticky but not smelly condition. I tried soaking in a warm concentrated solution of Tide detergent. I think one I just washed that way which significantly reduced the sticky feel and then after drying coated with talcum powder to take care of residual stickiness. On another I did more scrubbing in the Tide solution and most of the coating came off leaving a plain nylon sack. Since my use is primarily for abrasion protection and not water protection the loss of the coating was not a big deal.

303, Teflon dry film spray and (not) talc

It would have been nice to wait for a sunny day to try spraying the sticky compression bags, but that is not in the forecast for the rest of the week.

I sprayed the big sticky one with Teflon Dry Film and a small less sticky one with 303, leaving the Teflon film in place to dry and wiping down the more sodden 303ed one.

I will see what they are like to stuff in a few days.

No talc. Because I had no talc left, and body powders are now made with corn starch. I search high and low for more plain talcum power to no avail. I am not sure it is sold in this country anymore.

There is billiards talc, and wetsuit powders, not cornstarch based, but pricier and unavailable in the places I shop.

I did find 250g cans of Perfume and color free talc on Amazon. Vegetarian Society Approved too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BYNM58C/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank goodness for no-cost Prime shipping. I did not realize the tacl was coming from England. I was wondering why it had not arrived and looked at the tracking info.

Ordered July 20
Arriving between August 2 and August 17, shipped via Royal Mail.
Guess I will not be returning it.

What about contacting S2S and see what they say? maybe they say they will replace them....

It may be possible to remove the old polyurethane coating. Water supposedly loosens the old coating and causes it to peel away from the fabric. I've tried this with mixed results. Sometimes, just running the object through the washer causes the coating to peel off, sometimes not. I've seen articles around the web detailing how to remove the old coating and replace it with silicone.

What about contacting S2S and see what they say? maybe they say they will replace them....

If the compression stuff bags were only a few years old I would not hesitate to contact Sea-to-Summit. But those bags are 10 or 12 years old, maybe more. I may still contact S2S with the results of my anti-sticky efforts.

Which after a day have produced the following results:

The stickiest bag, sprayed with Teflon Dry film, is now largely unsticky. I can visibly see (and feel) the places I missed or sprayed too lightly and will spray that bag again.

The less sticky bag, sprayed with 303, is no less sticky than it was pre-spray. I guess I will be seeing how Teflon Dry film spray does over 303.

And then see how long the Teflon dry film spray lasts against the sticky-icky in use.

Last edited:
I like the idea of contacting the manufacturer. I had a similar event take place on my NF Windy Pass tent fly that I had forever. Gave them a call and they gave me a new tent at I think a 50% off retail discount. Applied the same to accessories as well. It is for that reason I have the NF Big Fat Frog with footprint for my solo trips. If they didn't stand behind it I was going to experiment but no need in the end.

Further results. DO NOT treat sticky PU coated stuff bags with 303. The small compression stuff sack I did with 303 did not get any less sticky and, sadly, still did not get any less sticky when sprayed a week later with Teflon Dry film spray.

I have that Teflon dry film in the shop for use on rudder pedals. Those sliding foot pedals are an application where dirt and grit attractant WD-40 or silicon spray are a bad idea, and a lot of folks swear by using nothing. But the thin, dirt-repelling, chemical-resistant coating of Teflon spray has worked well for me.

https://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Non-St...ubricant&psc=1

That still-sticky 303ed bag will get a shake of (English, imported) talc powder to see how that fares.

https://www.amazon.com/Sutherland-Pu...utherland+Talc

The two larger bags I did only with Teflon dry spray have remained unsticky, even in absurdly humid conditions. I am calling them good to go.

I like the idea of contacting the manufacturer. I had a similar event take place on my NF Windy Pass tent fly that I had forever. Gave them a call and they gave me a new tent at I think a 50% off retail discount. Applied the same to accessories as well. It is for that reason I have the NF Big Fat Frog with footprint for my solo trips. If they didn't stand behind it I was going to experiment but no need in the end.

I have had similar customer service from several different gear manufacturers. I may, at the least, send Sea-to-Summit an e-mail with a message about the success of Teflon spray and a link to this thread.

Last edited:
I may, at the least, send Sea-to-Summit an e-mail with a message about the success of Teflon spray and a link to this thread.

I did so, and received a prompt e-mail response. Sea to Summit (I corrected the thread references to them as Surf to Summit, whose gear I like a lot as well) did not offer to replace the bags. Nor did they need to.

The Teflon dry film spray worked wonders, and as a finishing touch I sprinkled a little Sutherland 100% pure talc into each bag and shook a tennis ball around in it to thinly distribute the powder. That worked well even on the still sticky 303ed bag.

Sea to Summit did suggest putting a silica desiccant pack in the PU coated compression sacks during storage. I had ordered a supply of silica packs a month ago (and saved a bunch more from various packaging) to stick in with some of the little used tents, and tossed one in each PU coated compression sack before putting them away.

Those silica desiccant packs come with dang near everything; there was a big one in the box with the wifes new iron.

I had never thought about reusing them gear storage use. Even with the gear room kept at 50% or less humidity those silica packs are still cheap insurance, especially when free and otherwise destined for the trash. Worth sealing up in a repurposed spice jar or Ziplock bag.

Gawd I love reusing little spice jars for storing things best kept tightly sealed and air isolated, including relabeled for sundry camp spices and additives. I keep those little spice containers when empty. That said, I do not recommend making Provencal Pasta from what is in the jar of McCormick Marjoram in the shop office.

Rambling. . . . .There is a McCormick spice packing plant 20 miles from my home. While driving past the scent of whatever they are packing that day is pervasive even with the windows up. I would not want to live downwind, but it is fun to try to ID the days spice scent. Ummm, basil, with a hint of bay leaf.

Rambling. . . . .There is a McCormick spice packing plant 20 miles from my home. While driving past the scent of whatever they are packing that day is pervasive even with the windows up. I would not want to live downwind, but it is fun to try to ID the days spice scent. Ummm, basil, with a hint of bay leaf.

It's all fun and games until they are packing the Old Bay.

Back