• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Spring has Sprung!

Reaction score
Happy first day of Spring. We'll be paddling in the fields soon enough.

Attachments

• photo11179.jpg
    photo11179.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo11180.jpg
    photo11180.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo11181.jpg
    photo11181.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 0
the sun is high.. the snow is settling and evaporating ( its not much above freezing). The icebreakers are on the river. Less than a month to the first big canoe race.. Should be powered by lots of snowmelt.. Still feet of snow northern Maine.. a foot or more here.
And tomorrow.. more snow.

The signs we see first of spring are land mines.

We're a couple weeks ahead of you. Went from tons of snow and abnormally cold for March to a long stretch of abnormally warm and sunny in the last 1 1/2 weeks. Some crazy flooding going on down here. River is open but still lots of ice on the lakes (and dead fish under the ice from a bad winter kill).

Love the hip roof barn!

Unless this is like the pickerel/walleye thing between the US and Canada then the correct term for that roof style in gambrel.

Alan

Central NYS is pretty much devoid of snow as of today but more is predicted to be on the way for tomorrow night into Friday so it looks like a typical spring for our neck of the woods. The smaller streams are all open but there are still large sections of the Susquehanna that are still incased in ice. Will need a lot more warm temperatures before all the ice is gone and the paddling options open up for the season. That being said, it all has to start somewhere so as much as I enjoy winter, I'm looking forward for this continuing so I can get back into my canoe.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Unless I miss my guess the strangers I irresponsibly chat with in gas stations and stores all secretly agree with me, that while we complain about the cold and snow we actually love the season. But just as I was getting used to all that charade the winds shifted and the days grew longer. It was a dalmation day yesterday driving home from work. Fluffy white clouds spotted the sky, and slushy white snow dotted the forest floor lending an allover speckled complexion to the landscape. I slowed down and pulled off the highway onto a back road to continue my sojourn into spring, and for the first time in ages I drove with my windows down all the way home, breathing in deep the sharp fresh air. A skein of geese banked in the sky like a synchro squadron doing a flypast, aiming for a secret little pond that lies just beyond a woodlot behind a weathered grey barn. I wondered how many generations had skated on that pond in winter, and swam it's cool murky waters in summer. There was still a hazy film of rotting ice covering it, and I tried to follow the geese in their winged maneuvers from my rearview mirror, but the twisting road demanded my attention instead. From my moving window I caught snatches of songs, Robin, Sparrow and Jay, and high overhead I spied a Sharp Shinned Hawk and a Red Tailed Hawk both kiting over their chosen territories. American Kestrels will soon be seen on the wire, and Bald Eagles are already nesting nearby, so the change of season is already well underway here.
The view from my kitchen window isn't so cheerful. The snow has given way to mud. Now on an evening when I turn on the tiny sparkling Christmas lights sprinkled through a backyard tree they don't look so joyful. The winter cheer is gone. Whereas for the past many months the family dogs traipsing in the back door have been caked with glittering snow, now they come in with sticky muddy paws. Not quite the same feel good vibe, but we roll with it. And the same goes for the seasons; we change our attire and our attitude, and get on with the change. I can hardly wait for things to green up.

dang! You got me there Alan. You are correct, of course. But around here, everyone refers to that genre of barn as “hip roof.” They also refer to snowshoe hares as bush bunnies. And ruffed grouse are partridges. And American goldfinches are canaries. And dinner is supper. You already know about pickerel and walleye. Did you know that northern pike is actually called jackfish? I could go on a long time. I have learned a lot of colloquial synonyms in the ten years since moving to Preeceville.

dang! You got me there Alan. You are correct, of course. But around here, everyone refers to that genre of barn as “hip roof.” They also refer to snowshoe hares as bush bunnies. And ruffed grouse are partridges. And American goldfinches are canaries. And dinner is supper. You already know about pickerel and walleye. Did you know that northern pike is actually called jackfish? I could go on a long time. I have learned a lot of colloquial synonyms in the ten years since moving to Preeceville.

A lot of people around here refer to barns having hip roofs as well. We also eat supper at 6:00. Dinner is interchangeable with lunch at 12:00. And Canada Geese are Canadian Geese.

Alan

Canada Geese
Suppah
Pothole season(well underway)
Maine Maple Weekend
Mud season ( oops that already started)
The only bad roof is concave.

Sounds like you all have warm
temps. We still
get down to single digits and up to low singles c

Alan,

Do the Canadian Geese need passports to enter the U.S.?

The noon meal here is always dinner. Lunch refers to snacks/meals other than breakfast, dinner or supper: meals after a funeral or church service or wedding or concert.

We still have snow here in Preeceville, but I put my skidoo away two days ago. I use it primarily to pack trails for skiing and running the dog. Daytime highs are around 8 C (45 F), but overnight remains below freezing, and is predicted to be so for the next two weeks. Trails are slushy in the afternoon, icy in the morning. An unpleasant set of conditions.

Colloquial terms are a cute regional thing I am sure. Regional differences are a favourite Canadian topic amongst us up here, and are either a source of admiration or disdain, it depends on the story, but the east vs west, north vs south, everybody vs central, that kind of socio-economic-political thing is always a constant. There's nothing that gets a Canadian more hot under the collar than regionalism; well, that and hockey. Ha.
But I bet you all can relate to this...getting ready for spring.

Click image for larger version  Name:	sprouts.jpg Views:	1 Size:	65.5 KB ID:	91000

Note: The dancing penguins in the window are leftovers from Christmas. Their goofy hip swinging tuque and scarf clad bodies cheered me up on even the greyest days of winter trudging up the snowy front sidewalk. Hey, if they can get jiggy with it so can I. They will be retired to storage once the seedlings are hardened off and heading into the warmed up garden. But May is still a long way off, so they've got a fair bit of dancing to do yet.

Last edited:
Colloquial terms are a cute regional thing I am sure...................toque and scarf clad bodies

Speaking of regionalisms! No one down here knows what a toque is and I still have to stop and think to remember how it's pronounced.

Alan

Sweatshirts with a hood are called "bunny hugs," even by manly kind of men. Mule deer are "jumpers." Quaking/trembling aspen is "white poplar."

Gotta go walk the dog now, before the trail gets too slushy.

Sweatshirts with a hood are "hoodies". Lunch is lunch, Dinner is Dinner. Pickerel is pickerel, Northern Pike is Northern Pike.

Not just regional but peoples too.

The next week low single digit plus'. The flood forecast here is not good.

Back