• Happy National Zipper Day (pat. 1913)! 🤐

Any plans for the April 8, 2024 solar eclipse?

I think I'll settle for my 3m 20 s of totality in my backyard. Can't deal with traffic for the max of another 18 seconds.

Earthquake, eclipse, cicadas...I'm getting my rapture go-bag ready. It's definitely rapture time.

Yes, we felt the New Jersey earthquake here in NW CT at 10:23 this morning. I had no idea what it was, at first thinking it was roaring wind vibrating the house or our dryer falling apart. Didn't know what it was until I saw the news.

I was in a bigger earthquake in northern California in 1981. Shook the building I was in, and I knew right away what it was. Grabbed for my cigarette pack in my shirt pocket, but I had just given up cigarettes that morning. Having survived an earthquake without the cancer sticks, I've never had one since.

I felt it in Forestport at 1025. More like the almost familiar sound of the snow sliding off my camp roof as it has been doing lately. But definitely something quite strange about it. My wife, at home15 miles away said the house shook like jelly and it was loud.

I remember several years ago, gettting ready to go to work in the morning at our house in Rome not far from Grifiss AFB. I said to her: "gee that B-52 taking off is surely unusually way off course" The sound was that loud and memorable.

Last edited:
Well, my plans are all off. ALL off. No eclipse travel. No paddling. No skiing. No biking. No nothin’. Broke my wrist last week. 😭 Waiting to see whether I will need surgery, because it moved a little while splinted. I see the doctor again Tuesday, and hope to find out then whether I’ll just get a cast or hardware and a cast. sigh…….

JCH, if you don't mind saying, how did you break it? Us older folks always have to on the lookout for such things.
The old classic “slipped on the ice” routine. We’d gotten a bunch of snow for a couple days, then it got up in the 40s the next day, then froze solid that night. That was the day I decided to go into town and run some errands. Hit a patch of practically invisible ice right outside the window of the place I was taking the dog to have her nails cut. 3 more steps and I would’ve made it to the door. Life changes pretty dramatically in a split second sometimes.

So Glenn, how's LG? I was almost going to come up and do a little stream paddling near L Luzerne but decided against it. Need to be home by 3 for the women's NCAA and get ready for early trip tomorrow.

Eclipse craziness has taken hold here in totality lane. All the seasonal restaurants and stores are opening ahead of usual. Village is filled with cars. They should of put up the parking meters rather than wait till Memorial Day as usual.

Attachments

• PXL_20240407_180030344.jpg
    PXL_20240407_180030344.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20240407_180023476.jpg
    PXL_20240407_180023476.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 9
So Glenn, how's LG?

I'm in the hotel in Lake George now, just about to go for dinner. The big electric signs on the NY Thruway and Northway all warn to leave early and stay late for the eclipse tomorrow because of traffic.

Factoring in needs for food, warmth and bathroom facilities for our aging bones, we are going to try for a particular brewery/restaurant with a clear view of the sky in Plattsburgh tomorrow. Brought two full size bag chairs, binoculars, eclipse glasses, some snacks, and a full tank of gas.

I'm curious: If you're in town, won't the street lights come on & it will just look like you're there at night?

I've decided to head east instead. One of our dealers needs a sample (stupid work ethic). Enjoy.

I heard this on the radio this morning, “you’re so vain” by Carly Simon

Well I hear you went up to Saratoga
And your horse naturally won
Then you flew your lear jet up to Nova Scotia
To see the total eclipse of the sun

I heard this on the radio this morning, “you’re so vain” by Carly Simon

Well I hear you went up to Saratoga
And your horse naturally won
Then you flew your lear jet up to Nova Scotia
To see the total eclipse of the sun

The mystery has always been what man in her life was Carly Simon writing about in that song.

We live in the path of totality and are staying put.

We watched the 2017 eclipse from boats in a lake in Kentucky. Amazing experience. However the drive home was terrible!

I had heard the Beatty thing, and I also heard music guy David Geffen.

My BIG problem is finding the receipts to JoAnn's for the cost of those
glasses. Clouds moved in so I'm getting my money back.

I have a degree in physical geography. An eclipse happens every 18 months or so on the planet somewhere, just not in the US. I would not travel 40 miles to see one.

I will be spending the afternoon, teaching kids to ride horses. It is the Boys and Girls Club Summer Camp. We will get kids horseback for the first time in their lives. It is a big deal and it will happen Mon, Wed and Fri.

First warm enough day to enjoy sitting on deck, waiting for the eclipse. Some clouds. Wondering if Churchill was right that never have so many waited so long for so little.

Back