• Happy Cinco De Mayo! 🇲🇽🎸💃🪅🌶️

spray covers

Reaction score
I'm looking at a 17' NC Prospector that come equipped with a spray cover (North Water I think). Anyone use one? Care to comment on their use?
For my short 1-3 night canoe trips, a spray cover just looks like it would be a bit of a nuisance. I think i'd feel claustrophobic trapped in the seat :).

I do paddle a little WW (have made it so far w/out a cover) and plan to take more larger lake trips, do I have a need for a cover?

JP

Hey Jamie,

Don't have any experience with these -- although like you i'm intrigued. My question is, can you paddle without it i.e. can't you just take it off when you don't want to use it?

The covers are likely easily installed and removed as needed, but once on for a trip your stuck with it, either in use or stored away. I just don't think I'd ever use the cover and it would just be in the way but maybe I'm wrong...

I had a Wenonah Argosy with a cover by Cooke it was excellent for wind and rain but it was a somewhat bulky bag when stored. I think they are great for keeping you dry and warm on stormy days, although I prefer DIY if possible.

I'm making my own right now for my August trip, I just want it for rain and wind protection, it really is nice to be covered up and everything stays dry. It will cost me $35 when done. Very thin nylon so it practically fits in my pocket. No draw cover for the paddler, just a front and back, the back is laying on the horse and needs to be sewn.
Also, one of the header images shows Ted in his Shearwater with his excellent DIY cover.

DSC00973.JPG

Here's another DIY cover I made.

I made a cover for my Hornbeck, using coated nylon from a fabric store, along with snaps and a pool noodle from a hardware store. Total cost was about $24, mostly for the snaps. It is custom fit to go over my backpack, the odd shaped lump you see in the stern. It works great for when I am paddling big lakes with waves.

C4y8ZUY.jpg

On the Yukon River races in a voyageur canoe, we use a spray cover that is held in place with wide velcro. Each paddler has their own section of overlapping fabric. It is loose enough to allow sliding side to side for the "huts" in seats 2-5. The cover is only used for when we are in heavy weather (seems to be the usual case on Lake Laberge), or when negotiating the Five Fingers Rapids, and you can see why we need it there as shown in the photos below (first two photos by Harry Kern, shot from the motorboat seen in the third photo).

3uSVuc2.jpg

fZMcwdd.jpg

Last edited:
I've use them quite a bit, they are nice, but slow down loading and unloading, but add warmth in the cold months and on rainy days. They are easy to get in and out, even during a capsize. But we don't use ours a lot anymore, keep it for long extended trip on river that have no portage and class II-III rapids. The North water spray deck are really well made but quite heavy, they sell for around $700 now a day!!

I'm looking at a 17' NC Prospector that come equipped with a spray cover (North Water I think). Anyone use one? Care to comment on their use?
For my short 1-3 night canoe trips, a spray cover just looks like it would be a bit of a nuisance. I think i'd feel claustrophobic trapped in the seat :).

I do paddle a little WW (have made it so far w/out a cover) and plan to take more larger lake trips, do I have a need for a cover?

JP

Issue solved, I found a Tripper locally at a decent price, no longer considering the NC Prospector. I was going to trade my Esquif and some cash for the Prospector (from a different province) if the deal went thru. Now with the older Tripper I just bought I can keep both the Tripper and the Esquif....

I'd love one for my up coming trip, tomorrow. Never did get one but see the value in having on. I like your idea Robin. May need to make one for my Kevlar Malecite one day. Would love to see how you did that.

Spray covers are a bit of a nuisance, both putting them on and, more especially, taking them off to access gear. Northwater and Cooke use very different systems, and each system has pluses and minuses.

I am not a fan of being sealed up in a body hugging spray skirt. If it is cold or rainy I am dressed for the conditions, and what I have gained by having my lower body sealed up weatherproof doesn’t come close to offsetting the awkwardness of getting in and out of the canoe. Or of accessing gear, whether unloading or simply grabbing something while underway.

Dan Cooke made me partial covers for two of our tripping canoes (soloized Penobscot and Wenonah Wilderness). Those are bow and stern covers that leave a large open “cockpit” that allows room for a utility sail thwart in front and space behind the seat to store/access convenient gear while underway.

Dan designed those partial covers with a flap of fabric incorporating a sewn-in foam stay that pops up like a splash screen when the covers are snapped in place. Those partials cover more than half of the open space between the gunwales, and so shed much of the rain and most of the wave splash.

CCS sends a piece of transparent mylar large enough to cover the canoe and instructions for fitting it over the gunwales and marking desired locations for snaps, paddle pockets, lash tabs and other accessory options. I added two extra Velcro paddle shaft straps so that I could secure all of the usual suspects on the bow cover; double blade, single blade, furled sail.

For my purposes those partial covers are exactly what I wanted. On trips with awkward landings or hard to access campsites I sometimes use only the bow portion. That front cover helps cut oppositional wind (my body blocks most of the stern opening), shades my food barrel so my chocolate doesn’t melt, UV protects feet and ankles and, most importantly, provides a place to secure paddles and sail. At really tough landings being able to secure the paddle in seconds and jump out is beyond advantageous, it’s dang near a safety issue.

Using the bow cover alone provides some rain and haystack splash protection, and paddle drips from a double blade or sit and switching transfer roll off the cover instead of into the canoe. Or onto my feet and then into the canoe.

At tough landings I can unload the stern without cover occlusion and then manipulate a now-lighter canoe to unsnap the bow cover and disgorge the gear below. The heaviest piece, the (shaded) blue food barrel, is nearest to center and I can get it out with two unsnaps, and with a little reach-under even the gear furthest in the stems doesn’t require undoing all of the snaps.

More often I use both bow and stern covers. If I find myself at a really awkward site landing I will just load the canoe, paddle downstream until I find a coble bar or sand bank and then install the covers. Although if the next landing is of unknown accessibility I may have screwed the pooch again.

Using just the bow cover has it’s advantages.

When using both bow and stern partial covers it occurred to me that I needed only one more simple piece to fully cover the open hull area while in camp, and Dan made me the piece to snap in place.

That small storage cover piece works like a charm and allows me to keep all of the paddling gear dry and secure in the canoe. That is a huge boon, especially if camp is a quarter mile from the landing or I am base camped and day paddling. I had a sail stolen from a boat at a populated site, and having the sail, paddles, PFD (oh my, what a nice unattended knife on that lash tab….I may have had a knife stolen from the canoe as well), compass, map case and other paddling gear hidden from prying eyes is a comfort.

All of which is to say that canoe covers require considerable design forethought.

I am a big fan of covers, given an honest assessment of how and where I would likely use them. Full or partial covers, snaps (Cooke) or hooks (Northwater), Poly (Northwater) or Nylon (Cooke). Gear portal openings, one, two or three piece covers? Cooke and Northwater offer a variety of designs, options and accessories.

http://www.cookecustomsewing.com/canoecovers.htm#

http://northwater.com/products/canoe-spray-deck

Sewing-skilled DIY folks could look at the differences and multiplicity of options on those proven designs and customize a cover according to their desires. I just talk to Dan in the off-season about what I have in mind and listen to his advice.

Northwater may be just as helpful; I’ve never used one of their covers.

No Title

When I had my Clipper canoe built this winter I thought it was the perfect opportunity to get a Northwater spray cover made at the same time, as the two companies are very close in location in B.C. After hearing all the positives and negatives of spray covers I put a lot of thought into how and when I would use it. This would factor greatly into which model, options etc. that I would choose. I had found that most people that didn't like spray covers most likely had a one piece cover that was either "on" or "off" and needed to be off to load, unload, and portage. So with this in mind and with my canoe a solo 14' prospector, I went with a 3 piece cover. I also went with the web ladder attach system as Clipper was willing to install it along with everything else prior to shipping the canoe. They did an excellent job on everything and that way I didn't have to worry about drilling holes correctly in my new canoe.

First off I will say that personally I like spray covers as I also kayak/ whitewater kayak so I'm use to covers / skirts. I also like the spray cover as I mostly solo in moving rivers and various sizes of lakes, so conditions can change fast. After using the cover so far this year, there is no doubt in my mind that my canoe can handle much more with the cover on, plus I find it a lot better in the wind. They are also good for storing loose items in the canoe on shore when tripping. I also have a web lashing system inside the canoe, so between it and the cover, everything should stay together if I have a spill. With the three piece cover and the other options, there is so much versatility in how I can use it. I find that the front and rear pieces are almost always on the canoe. The middle section is sometimes on or sometimes off or sometimes rolled partly forward.

Mine also has a zippered / Velcro cargo hatch on the front section so it makes it very simple, fast and easy to load / unload. The only regret I've had about the cover is that I maybe should have also got a cargo hatch put on the rear section. It can be easily added, so if I want, I could send the rear section to Northwater and get it added in the off season, it's an option. I only have to undo 2 straps on one side and 1 strap on the other to get my largest pack out of the rear, which takes a few seconds each. So I don't find it a big deal and I'll see whether or not I add it. If the cover is fully on, I only need to unlatch 3 or 4 straps on each side of the middle section and roll it up. Between this and the cargo hatch I can remove everything, install my yoke, and portage with the cover still on. So with my setup, it does not add much extra time at portages. The only thing I have found is getting out of the center of the canoe in some locations can be a bit challenging depending on the shoreline. This is not really the fault of the cover but more the reality of a loaded up solo canoe.

As far as Northwater spray covers go, I feel they are the best when it comes to designs, options, materials, workmanship, etc. and for me I'm also supporting a small Canadian company. As far as dealing with them, I only had limited contact with them when I was inquiring about purchasing and had questions about options. They were excellent with the limited dealings. My dealer that I purchased the whole package through had Clipper looked after ordering and installing the cover. Everything was done exactly as I had asked and after seeing the prices on the website, I realized just how good of a deal I really got from the dealer by purchasing everything together. Very happy with this big purchase as the canoe and cover should give me many years of enjoyment and will probably outlast my aging body.

A half dozen photos of the spray cover.
Perry

Attachments

• photo1881.jpg
    photo1881.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 3
  • photo2662.jpg
    photo2662.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 3
  • photo2664.jpg
    photo2664.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 2
  • photo2665.jpg
    photo2665.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 2
  • photo2666.jpg
    photo2666.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo2667.jpg
    photo2667.jpg
    373.3 KB · Views: 2
When I had my Clipper canoe built this winter I thought it was the perfect opportunity to get a Northwater spray cover made at the same time, as the two companies are very close in location in B.C.

One of the boats that came through the shop 10 years ago was a Clipper Prospector 14 solo. That’s a helluva boat, especially for smaller folk carrying a gear load, who don’t need to drive an excess of waterline.

That 14” solo is 21” deep at the stems and 15” deep at center. Unless you are hauling lead ingots it is enough boat.

http://www.clippercanoes.com/14-foot-prospector/

A small statured friend ended up with that Prospector 14, and ordered a Northwater spraycover. He has been the envy of his friends when paddling in foul weather ever since. Maybe tunnel spray skirts work better with wee folk.

As far as Northwater spray covers go, I feel they are the best when it comes to designs, options, materials, workmanship, etc. and for me I'm also supporting a small Canadian company. As far as dealing with them, I only had limited contact with them when I was inquiring about purchasing and had questions about options.

Someday, on the right boat, I may have to consider a Northwater cover. I have never installed a Northwater and have no basis to compare and contrast with CCS. In any case it would have to be customized to afford my paddling peculiarities.

A half dozen photos of the spray cover.

Nice!

I just got a North Water one piece spray deck for my UL layup Wenonah Wilderness. Because of the thin Kevlar hull it was strongly recommended that I use the loops on patches and the lace line method of attachment. The vinyl patches on the inside of the hull spread the load out better than the pop riveted strap for the web ladder attachment system. That required drilling 22 holes in the hull of an expensive Kevlar canoe. The first hole was hard! The rest were easy! One down side is it weighs 7 pounds which is a significant addition to a 32 pound canoe! Installation was easy. I have paddled with it twice with no load and it does reduce windage quite a bit by smoothing the air flow over the gunwales. How much will I use it? Time will tell.
Regards,
Dave

It is easy to tell who the expedition paddlers are. Great photos by yknpadlr. I hiked to Bennet Lake once at the headwaters.

I just got a North Water one piece spray deck for my UL layup Wenonah Wilderness. Because of the thin Kevlar hull it was strongly recommended that I use the loops on patches and the lace line method of attachment. The vinyl patches on the inside of the hull spread the load out better than the pop riveted strap for the web ladder attachment system. That required drilling 22 holes in the hull of an expensive Kevlar canoe. The first hole was hard! The rest were easy! One down side is it weighs 7 pounds which is a significant addition to a 32 pound canoe! Installation was easy. I have paddled with it twice with no load and it does reduce windage quite a bit by smoothing the air flow over the gunwales. How much will I use it? Time will tell.

We test fitted the CCS bow cover from my RX Wilderness on friend Willie’s spanking new KL Wilderness. It didn’t fit worth a dang. The composite version is a bit longer of course, but at some point I’d like to compare the gunwale widths along sheerline between those two boats.

The Northwater attachment system makes a lot of sense on a KL layup. But 7 lbs? Is that just the cover or the does it include all of the patches and loops?

Now I’m curious, I need to weight my Wilderness covers. I’ve got enough spare male and female snap rivets and washers to get a full installation weight. That cover is the heavy duty coated nylon version, not sil-nylon.

With the bow and stern cover pieces, stuff bag and snap rivets/washers the food weight scale calls it just under 2 lbs.

Actually a bit less, since the pop rivet mandrels would be gone after installation.

That reminds me, I need to get Dan to make a center storage cover piece for the Wilderness. This winter, when he has time for some off-kilter custom work.

Mike,
The patches etc weigh next to nothing. The cover itself weighs 7 lbs. I didn't opt for the lighter material (more $$) and regret that decision now. I also got the built in cockpit cover that has an extra zipper and flap of cloth so that increases the weight a bit.
The RX Wilderness is a completely different canoe in my opinion. Tumblehome is so different that there is no way the cover would fit.
Regards,
Dave

The RX Wilderness is a completely different canoe in my opinion. Tumblehome is so different that there is no way the cover would fit.

I regret not having gotten a kevlar or tough weave Wilderness, but it was a canoe for a “Pimp My Ride” piece for C&K, so I danced with what they brung me.

That is a very early RX Wilderness, one of the first off the line, and the seat is positioned awful far forward (the front of the seat is two inches back of center), especially for a guy with some front porch overhang. Kneeling in it would be absurdly bow heavy.

It also oil cans a bit, which is to be expected in an RX boat built that light.

Fortunately it works well for my younger skinnier son, so he got a nice fully outfitted canoe out of it and I haven’t moved the seat back (which would also interfere with the stern spray cover).

I have the CCS covers and also the cover made by the Bag Lady for my RapidFire. It is similar to Mikes set up but there are tent pole hoops that run in front of and in back of the cockpit to make the cover taut , allow runoff and encourage water to go elsewhere other than the cockpit.
Sue Audette made the covers based on a template she already had for the boat. To my dismay the cover was an inch too narrow. This led to an educational experience. We took the boat and cover down to Sue's and one icky day measured the actual dimensions. The covers she had made for the RapidFire were for wood gunwaled boats and mine was the first she had a request for with infused gunwales.

Wood gunwales tend to straighten the curve of the boat to narrower.

BTW Dan Cooke is on the Kazan.. I'm jealous.

To my dismay the cover was an inch too narrow. This led to an educational experience. We took the boat and cover down to Sue's and one icky day measured the actual dimensions. The covers she had made for the RapidFire were for wood gunwaled boats and mine was the first she had a request for with infused gunwales.

Wood gunwales tend to straighten the curve of the boat to narrower.

The size and depth of the gunwales likely had a bit to do with the covers from my RX/vinyl gunwale Wilderness not fitting on the Kevlar/aluminum gunwaled sibling.

Back