• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Northwind Solo river performance

Reaction score
Hi all, new here!
I tried to search the topic before posting, but didn't quite find what I was looking for.
I have a Northwind Solo in IXP and I'm wanting to do some day trips/overnighters with class I/II(+). I know Northstar describes it as a 'lakes and rivers' option compared to the Phoenix 'rivers and lakes,' but I'm curious what experience others have had with it in those conditions.
Cliff Jacobson's review of the Phoenix suggests up to easy class III (with a spray cover) is possible for the boat with symmetrical rocker and and a higher volume bow. This makes me think maybe I'm being too optimistic.
Also, I have no desire to damage the boat, but what else is the IXP for if not for use like this? I wet entry/exit, am mindful of potential hazards, and generally baby it under all other conditions, so when using it like this it makes me wonder why I didn't just get a lighter layup.
All thoughts welcomed!

I am debating between a Northwind Solo and Phoenix IXP I just sold my Blackfly Octane 1 I want to reduce my fleet and try have a boat with more uses that is why I am thinking of the Phoenix . I have a MR Caption setup solo and and Outrage X and a Wenonah encounter. I am think of eliminating one or two of these boat. Plus I have other boats

Hi all, new here!

Skepaddle, welcome to site membership! Feel free to ask any questions and to post messages, photos and videos in our many forums. Please read Welcome to CanoeTripping and Site Rules! Also, please add your location to your profile, which will cause it to show under your avatar, as this is a geographic sport. We look forward to your participation in our canoe community.

I'm wanting to do some day trips/overnighters with class I/II(+). I know Northstar describes it as a 'lakes and rivers' option compared to the Phoenix 'rivers and lakes,' but I'm curious what experience others have had with it in those conditions.

Whether a canoe can handle class 1-2+ water is far more a function of the skill of the paddler than the shape of the canoe or the material it's made of.

I have no experience in the Northwind Solo, but I ran up to class 4 whitewater for 20 years in the 1980's through the early 2000's in a variety of canoes. A strong intermediate to advanced whitewater paddler could certainly paddle class 1-2+ rapids all day, in virtually any canoe, and never touch anything—assuming the river isn't boney. On the other hand, I've seen paddlers without moving water experience, even certified ACA flatwater instructors, be completely out of control in class 2 rapids, and hence likely candidates to bash, wrap or destroy their boats.

While the Northwind Solo is not as deep as a dedicated whitewater canoe, its specs and descriptions suggest it can be paddled in class 1-2+ rapids, IF THE PADDLER HAS THE REQUISITE WHITEWATER SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE. If the paddler is marginal or if mistakes are made, the IXP layup will give a greater margin of error against damage than a lightweight layup, but no composite hull can recover from a complete wrap as Royalex can.

If I were solely a flatwater paddler who always wetfooted and was careful with my hull, I personally would always get the lightest weight layup I could afford.

In any event, you have a very nice compromise solo canoe that has a lot of potentials.

If you are unsure of your whitewater proficiency, take formal instruction from the ACA or a whitewater club. Or practice a lot in class 1 water until you are completely comfortable doing back ferries, front ferries, eddy turns, and eddy peel-outs, both on-side and off-side. Then do the same practice until you are completely comfortable doing all those things in class 2 rapids. All of that with companions who can rescue your or your canoe if you dump.

I hope there are other members here who have personal experience with the Northwind Solo itself.

Hi all, new here!
I tried to search the topic before posting, but didn't quite find what I was looking for.
I have a Northwind Solo in IXP and I'm wanting to do some day trips/overnighters with class I/II(+). I know Northstar describes it as a 'lakes and rivers' option compared to the Phoenix 'rivers and lakes,' but I'm curious what experience others have had with it in those conditions.
Cliff Jacobson's review of the Phoenix suggests up to easy class III (with a spray cover) is possible for the boat with symmetrical rocker and and a higher volume bow. This makes me think maybe I'm being too optimistic.
Also, I have no desire to damage the boat, but what else is the IXP for if not for use like this? I wet entry/exit, am mindful of potential hazards, and generally baby it under all other conditions, so when using it like this it makes me wonder why I didn't just get a lighter layup.
All thoughts welcomed!
I have a North Wind solo in Blacklite. It is perfect for stuff like Upper Missouri, Labyrinth Canyon, Stillwater Canyon, Meander Canyon.
Last time I did Loma to Westwater, which has some easy rapids, there was some guy launching a North Wind in Blacklite with the expensive carbon rails. He has more guts than I do. I didn't think the North Wind was available in IXP. If it is, then I think my big worry would be water coming over the sides. I think you need a little deeper boat for class II. I'd be more inclined to get the Phoenix if I are planning on doing class II.

Skepaddle, welcome to site membership! Feel free to ask any questions and to post messages, photos and videos in our many forums. Please read Welcome to CanoeTripping and Site Rules! Also, please add your location to your profile, which will cause it to show under your avatar, as this is a geographic sport. We look forward to your participation in our canoe community.

Whether a canoe can handle class 1-2+ water is far more a function of the skill of the paddler than the shape of the canoe or the material it's made of.

I have no experience in the Northwind Solo, but I ran up to class 4 whitewater for 20 years in the 1980's through the early 2000's in a variety of canoes. A strong intermediate to advanced whitewater paddler could certainly paddle class 1-2+ rapids all day, in virtually any canoe, and never touch anything—assuming the river isn't boney. On the other hand, I've seen paddlers without moving water experience, even certified ACA flatwater instructors, be completely out of control in class 2 rapids, and hence likely candidates to bash, wrap or destroy their boats.

While the Northwind Solo is not as deep as a dedicated whitewater canoe, its specs and descriptions suggest it can be paddled in class 1-2+ rapids, IF THE PADDLER HAS THE REQUISITE WHITEWATER SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE. If the paddler is marginal or if mistakes are made, the IXP layup will give a greater margin of error against damage than a lightweight layup, but no composite hull can recover from a complete wrap as Royalex can.

If I were solely a flatwater paddler who always wetfooted and was careful with my hull, I personally would always get the lightest weight layup I could afford.

In any event, you have a very nice compromise solo canoe that has a lot of potentials.

If you are unsure of your whitewater proficiency, take formal instruction from the ACA or a whitewater club. Or practice a lot in class 1 water until you are completely comfortable doing back ferries, front ferries, eddy turns, and eddy peel-outs, both on-side and off-side. Then do the same practice until you are completely comfortable doing all those things in class 2 rapids. All of that with companions who can rescue your or your canoe if you dump.

I hope there are other members here who have personal experience with the Northwind Solo itself.
Thank you for the warm welcome! Great points on the skill front. There are some class 1-2 stretches that I know well enough to run neatly essentially every time (not necessarily utilizing all of the above skills), but there aren't many like that yet. Will definitely be working to paddle with better paddlers to learn from and hoping to do a swift water rescue course this summer. In the meantime, I may try to work up to class 1 in the NWS, or just not, hah! I have a pretty knackered Mohawk xl13 that can help me scratch the bigger water itch.

I have a North Wind solo in Blacklite. It is perfect for stuff like Upper Missouri, Labyrinth Canyon, Stillwater Canyon, Meander Canyon.
Last time I did Loma to Westwater, which has some easy rapids, there was some guy launching a North Wind in Blacklite with the expensive carbon rails. He has more guts than I do. I didn't think the North Wind was available in IXP. If it is, then I think my big worry would be water coming over the sides. I think you need a little deeper boat for class II. I'd be more inclined to get the Phoenix if I are planning on doing class II.
I'm inclined to agree with you on needing a deeper boat, I was definitely hoping to get lucky and hear examples from people convincing me otherwise. The Blacklite boats are gorgeous, enjoy!

I have been flip-flopping between a Wenonah Wilderness and a NW Solo for the same uses. I had a comment from Charlie Wilson about the seaworthiness issue because I thought the same (wilderness 14" deep vs 12.5" for NW Solo) he mentioned the shouldered flare on the NW Solo making it a better choice. If you look at the profile of the NW Solo it flares out (which deflects water from entering the boat) way higher up the side of the boat than most general purpose tumblehome solos. Charlie said it performs like a much deeper boat because of this. Right now I am still on the fence. If I order one it will be a NW Solo in Blacklite. I am going with the NW Solo because I paddle and portage upstream and back on my river trips. There are a couple of guys around here that paddle blacklite Phoenixs down river on up to class II (III). They are extremely experienced, don't do much playing, and are selective about water levels and what they run vs, portage but they do it. The one guy mentioned his boat was 7 years old and I would have guessed he had only gotten it earlier that month. I tried a Phoenix out and it definitely felt like a river boat, rockered, turns on a dime, requires dedicated a dedicated correction stroke. I haven't paddled a NW Solo (yet) but I am hoping for a lake boat that can be made to turn more quickly than my Prism. If I don't order one it will be because I found either one used in great shape...lol

Hi all, new here!
All thoughts welcomed!
perfect for West Branch from Seboomook Roll dam and on down Chesuncook for starters
Class 2 doesnt pertain to height of waves but does as far as maneuvering required
I would think it good for Ozark Rivers too
The Grand Canyon according to B Foote is class 2 also but obvuoisly much bigger waves
Boats are a partnership and the paddler counts probably more than the specific boat

perfect for West Branch from Seboomook Roll dam and on down Chesuncook for starters
Class 2 doesnt pertain to height of waves but does as far as maneuvering required
I would think it good for Ozark Rivers too
The Grand Canyon according to B Foote is class 2 also but obvuoisly much bigger waves
Boats are a partnership and the paddler counts probably more than the specific boat
Haven't had a chance to try the West Branch yet. Have been paddling it in the tidal Saco and practicing in eddy lines below the dang. Was thinking the Ossipee would be a reasonable trial? Will see if the mood strikes!

Haven't had a chance to try the West Branch yet. Have been paddling it in the tidal Saco and practicing in eddy lines below the dang. Was thinking the Ossipee would be a reasonable trial? Will see if the mood strikes!
The Ossipee is more technical in a few spots than the West Branch.. But I don't think you will harm your IXP layup.. I had an embarrassing ejection near the start at Kezar Falls in my Argosy..I was grateful for company to help me up the bank. I never did have the nerve to run Limington Rips.

skepaddle,

Happy to help in building additional whitewater canoe skills. Best classroom is at Limington Rapids on Rt. 25 on the Saco River. Need to wait until late May, early June for water levels to drop and water temperatures to rise. Good levels are 1,300-800 cfs.

I can provide a tougher than snot canoe for you, you provide your own paddle, helmet and pfd. Leave the composite canoe home. Let me know if you’re interested in having a great day on the Saco. As an open boater, I’ve been paddling for thirty five years plus at Limington and not ever a less than great day has been had.

Dirigo 🛶

skepaddle,

Happy to help in building additional whitewater canoe skills. Best classroom is at Limington Rapids on Rt. 25 on the Saco River. Need to wait until late May, early June for water levels to drop and water temperatures to rise. Good levels are 1,300-800 cfs.

I can provide a tougher than snot canoe for you, you provide your own paddle, helmet and pfd. Leave the composite canoe home. Let me know if you’re interested in having a great day on the Saco. As an open boater, I’ve been paddling for thirty five years plus at Limington and not ever a less than great day has been had.

Dirigo 🛶
Hey Dirigo, sorry for the slow response, got married, went on a honeymoon, and had a bunch of work/family commitments after! I would be excited to take you up on your offer if it still stands. Always appreciate learning from someone with so much familiarity with the area. (I can bring my Mohawk xl13 and all associated gear). Looks like the gauge is showing 4000, still have a ways before it drops?

Hey Dirigo, sorry for the slow response, got married, went on a honeymoon, and had a bunch of work/family commitments after! I would be excited to take you up on your offer if it still stands. Always appreciate learning from someone with so much familiarity with the area. (I can bring my Mohawk xl13 and all associated gear). Looks like the gauge is showing 4000, still have a ways before it drops?

Hi all, new here!
All thoughts welcomed!
I have a North Wind solo, but the only river trip I've taken with it is Labyrinth Canyon.
Having just taken a tandem canoe down a class II river, I can't picture taking my North Wind down a similar river.
It's a little shallow and slow to turn.
I'm not saying it can't be done, with float bags or spray skirt, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

Back