• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Breaking up Freeze-dried Packages

Reaction score
Due to circumstances beyond our control, we ended up with a lot of 2-person freeze-dried dinners. I am going to use them on this summer's trip, which will be solo. I add to my dinners optional fruit leather, bits of chocolate.

I don't think I can eat a whole two person freeze-dried meal. That means leftovers and figuring out what do to with them. I don't want to attract animals. It also means carrying twice the volume and weight of food.

So, I am thinking, What if I packed with each freeze-dried package a ziplock bag big enough to hold half of the food. I could mixed the freeze-dried food thoroughly, pour half into the ziplock, then use the other half for dinner (using half the water, or course.) That one would be eaten out of the bag.

The second night I could put the leftover dry food into a pot, pour over boiling water, cover and then have it for a meal the second night, eaten out of the pot. More cleanup, of course. But better use of food, weight, volume, etc.

Does this sound reasonable? Does anyone else do this?

Thanks, Erica

That's probably what I'd do except that I'd split the meals in half and repackage before the trip.

I've never eaten freeze dried meals so I'd try a couple of the halved meals before the trip to be sure they came out ok (maybe all the seasonings are packed in one corner and wouldn't be shared properly).

Alan

I would do it splitting meals as you go. Otherwise that is a lot of wasted plastic. The downside is you have a dupe meal the second night. Usually it is easy to shake the dried meal thoroughly once you have opened it.. Just let some air in and close it and shake

I read this on another board and tried it and it worked well. Pour contents into a mesh strainer over a piece of paper. Put half of solid bits in each packet, and divide powder into two and put half in each packet. Works for things like the noodle side dish packets in grocery store. Suggestion was use a coffee filter for the powdery stuff. Also worked well to fold and pour. I think it's a better divide. ymmv or you may not care if saucy one night and more solids the next.

I repackage freeze dried meals into ziplock freezer bags in the appropriate portions so that I can rehydrate and eat them directly from the bag. This saves space and allows for convenient preparation and cleanup.

I repackage freeze dried meals into ziplock freezer bags in the appropriate portions so that I can rehydrate and eat them directly from the bag. This saves space and allows for convenient preparation and cleanup.

I'd do the same and for the same reasons. I don't like doing kitchen work in camp, I don't want anything to do with pots or pans, all I want to do is eat. And right out of the bag is fine.

I use meal in a bag for most of my trips, the average calorie count for the ones I use are in the 550 to 650 range (total) and that is supposed to be two servings. Half of that is totally insufficient and I already loose significant weight eating a whole bag only (fortified with other stuff).

I don't understand why anyone would repack unless you like a cool/cold meal, the bags they come in will keep your dinner warm/hot much better than a regular ziplock while you wait to re-hydrate.

I use meal in a bag for most of my trips, the average calorie count for the ones I use are in the 550 to 650 range (total) and that is supposed to be two servings. Half of that is totally insufficient and I already loose significant weight eating a whole bag only (fortified with other stuff).

After I wrote that I'd repack at home rather than in camp, I wondered why I had never actually repacked anywhere and and had always eaten and finished everything in the commercial foil packages. It's that, as recped's post reminded me, the so-called two-person commercial meals I used for breakfast and dinner were only sufficient for one of me.

If I were dehydrating at home in quantities that I knew matched my needs, I would obviously pack each meal in separate bags of some sort. Are empty foil zip bags available?

It's been a long time since I last used freeze dried meals but what I remember most is that what was advertised as being a 2 person serving ended up only feeding one. A 4 person meal actually served 2. Like I said, I haven't used them in a long time but I'd be leery about halving a two person meal and then finding it to be enough; especially after a day of paddling.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

PS - The last time I used a 2 person meal, luckily my wife and I were staying at a campground while traveling. After "dinner" we went into town and found a diner. Enough said...

When Brad was preparing for a backpacking trip he learned some ziplocks will take boiling water.

Thanks for all the comments.

Recped, I suspect you burn more calories than I do. I don’t paddle as hard as I used to.

Are empty foil zip bags available?

I'll answer my own question—Yes:

After I wrote that I'd repack at home rather than in camp, I wondered why I had never actually repacked anywhere and and had always eaten and finished everything in the commercial foil packages. It's that, as recped's post reminded me, the so-called two-person commercial meals I used for breakfast and dinner were only sufficient for one of me.

If I were dehydrating at home in quantities that I knew matched my needs, I would obviously pack each meal in separate bags of some sort. Are empty foil zip bags available?
Yes the foil bags are available (probably Amazon), there are two types, those that have a zip closure and the more common that you need to heat seal. They work (retain heat) because they are multi-layer, usually poly, foil, poly. Make sure to buy ones that explicitly say "food grade".

On a trip starting this weekend we will be using FD vegetables which come in bulk pkgs so will be using them as needed over a few days per pkg. I see
that the pkgs are re-sealable.

biggest problem I think will be making sure the ingredients are evenly split between the two meals..
we are canoeing, there is plenty of water for cleanup. I wouldn't hesitate to do the pot meal. My wife dehydrates meals for us and we prepare them in a pot, the cleanup is not onerous.

like many other guys here, one two-person packaged meal is not enough for my dinner.. my Garmin claims I burn about 2800 calories a day during office work with a little light jogging at lunchtime. So 5-600 calories for dinner doesn't quite do it on an office work day, never mind while portaging and paddling. We have a BWCA trip coming up, will be interesting to see what the Garmin reports then..

We tend to eat "real food" whenever we can. And we sometimes start with off the shelf freeze dried meals and augment them but we mostly put our own meals together for when the fresh food runs out. We buy bulk freeze dried foods, dehydrate some things and also use a lot of off the shelf grocery store foods to put together meals.

In fact, as we rarely try a recipe for the first time on a trip our dinner tonight is a sort of Thanksgiving themed meal of freeze dried diced turkey, stuffing mix, gravy mix, and freeze dried corn, and sweet potatoes. And since we used almost all the freeze dried broccoli I had on hand to pack other meals for the next few months, we'll toss in the last of the broccoli. And I'll likely add some dried cranberries, too.

20230820_153255.jpg

20230820_153305.jpg

Hmm, I should have tossed in some freeze dried mushrooms. I'll have to get some from the basement......

After dinner we'll make and needed adjustments to the ingredients and/or quantities and file the recipe away for future reference. If the dried cranberries are worth repeating then the next time they will get their own little plastic bag placed in the big bag as they have more moisture than I want the rest of the ingredients exposed to.

Regarding using freezer weight zipper lock bags:

While I'm sure that other brands of freezer weight zipper lock bags will handle the heat of boiling water I do know that Glad freezer weight bags have been tested as both being safe and adequately strong for re-hydration with boiling water and to be used either boil-in bags or to be used in steam cooking (as in the Backpacker steam oven). If you are using a steam oven to cook something fatty (like a pot roast) it is strongly advised to use an oven roasting bag as none of the freezer type bags like long exposure to hot fats.

We used to process our own critters when we had our farm in New York and I kept a good bit of the associated equipment when we "retired" to our North Carolina place so we have both a Foodsaver style vacuum sealer and a commercial chamber vacuum sealer that can seal liquids, too.

The best source I'm aware of for the waffle style bags for Foodsaver type vacuum sealers is:

Lisa B., the owner, is a good person and her service is top notch.

If you are not vacuum sealing your bags you can seal them with you regular vacuum sealer if it has a seal-on-demand feature, use an impulse sealer or use a household iron.

We buy our gusset bottom bags, our long term mylar bags for the chamber sealer and our oxygen absorbers, moisture absorbers etc from:

Pack Fresh also has a pretty good FAQ with info on when, how and why to use the different types of bags and things like moisture absorbers, oxygen absorbers etc.

I'm not aware of any waffle type mylar bags but you don't generally want to vacuum seal those anyway. If you are not going to store your meals for months (or up to many years) you won't need the mylar bags. All you need is a bag that provides a good oxygen barrier and Pack Fresh has them at a fraction of the mylar bag price. As long as they will be used in the next month or so they are all you need whether you use an oxygen absorber or not.

Freeze dried meals need not be frozen but it's a good idea to freeze prepackaged dehydrated meals until your trip as they still have some moisture in them and some bagged dehydrated foods can spoil at room temperature.

And, for storage at home we transfer dehydrated and freeze died foods to glass canning jars and seal them with the vacuum sealer using a jar sealing attachment. As long as the item stays in a fairly cool location vacuum sealing them pretty much stops the clock on any degradation. About the only exception is home dehydrated ground beef and similar items that get vacuum sealed in a jar and placed in the chest freezer.

20220717_073141.jpg

20220717_073239.jpg

In the back of the cabinet you can see sealed mylar bags of freeze dried fruit and veggies from my favorite supplier of such items.

I've been teaching outdoor cookery, trail meal planning and packaging etc for scouts, school outdoor programs, church youth groups and assorted adults off and on for over 35 years. I'm thinking that it's time for me to post some threads on our thoughts, tips, tricks, sources, planning etc.

We have six trips of at least five days each planned between now and the third week of October so it'll likely be a while to get to that though.

Best wishes to all.

Lance

Back