• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

Sponge ??

I think I will make a cover for a few sponge with some old t-shirt, they absorb moisture well and they are free!!

I did a quick search and found that the Micro fiber is pretty reasonable https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics...d=1494594146&sr=8-6&keywords=microfiber+cloth
I've got my eye on my wife's sponge she uses for wall paper and I have one of the MF cloths in my rag drawer that I've been setting to the side thinking this is too nice for wiping up oil. I might order some of the cloths and put a grommet in the corner for wiping my hands when I'm fishing too. I've got to get my arse in motion to keep up with the Ideas.

I just use a Sham Wow in the bottom of the boat, they hold a lot of water, are cheap and useful for a lot of water moving chores.

Brian

Who knew canoe sponges were this complicated

Seriously, this could be another ground cloth innie or outie.

I predict that Boatstall’s cloth cover experiments will prove that the vast majority of ordinary, decent, right-thinking people are sick and tired of being fed up by the wrong-thinking cloth coverers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxhaunU2AxY

And chunky peanut butter is better at home, but creamy is better when tripping (easier to spread, add your own nuts and dried fruit to taste and fiber needs)

Could be a case of over-engineering the sponge to the point where it no longer picks up mud and gravel efficiently? Here's a joke, may or may not be relevant, about overzealous engineers...

EXECUTION DAY

[FONT=&quot]Three men were sentenced to be executed in public by guillotine; a priest, a rabbi, and an engineer. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]First was the priest and he asked that he face upwards so he could look at Heaven and his Creator at the moment of his death.

His wish was granted and the blade fell, but suddenly stopped half an inch from his neck.

The crowd gasped in amazement. The executioner said since the guillotine spared him, so would his life also be spared and he was allowed to live. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Next was the rabbi and he also asked that he be allowed to face upwards to look to his creator before his death. Again the guillotine stopped just short and his life was spared as well. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The engineer was last and he too asked to face upwards given what happened with the first two. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]As he lay there, he looked up at the guillotine mechanism and said... "Aha, yes... I see the problem!".[/FONT]

I've used a microfiber covered dog bone sponge with attachment loop, like the NRS one posted earlier, for about 10 years. I also carry a separate small microfiber towel with attachment loop. I like to dangle them from the thwart or slotted inwales so they can dry out after use.

6WDnIXHnHpv8ggG2ZXqdHZ95xwGfODcosB2hbLmrUl4pr87z-O3lMguKog8iIBkC4xyMAAaMpa_cdYtsBfbjVNcgWN2zNP42HRERhfG7N_EjBygsgqqB5FBVSsils_VEvaXAuBIY8GqFkRKB6m4qXcs5Oo4HfJtAoZiFOX6xxewhPReYOH7MakpDgzqlU24inyFRd4p9Q9OdkUzCD2MucEbHRHFlQXPXeokveYkmJlMmyiAPwOL0J3pjztyyY2onCnmqMwK5znf24HTRGm1zPFJNXnnZQpJbI-eJ8nc8kXZCla45j3uig9RtIf16aczfzriaKeC4wFwSRyw6pCro6IvlTGCZ1pGPc9iwHJHVvd0n-sbdi6vyrBgOAy0U7gMnSvmMedVHkYE0_QK7QNDV1jIuI-3zYMvR_skLcYC2r1rggY5EAvlozf_eORUo2Md6Xx4ILTLvnJhHmYYDRdFbj6ZjyX6-0NFvc2yaC2hs_G5_r7MjvhVi5V_zPhN5GLg5E4ijL31taIOt9756YLeuo9JqCoz7ytO3EWJvQKoGj5XjcJLPW1M0NXFJJxbCWFoOnFT9SHNfha5BH3YVGPGtsGuvsNhAfkea8pqVKq2H6VHNsWl8C9uY=w661-h613-no

Could be a case of over-engineering the sponge to the point where it no longer picks up mud and gravel efficiently? Here's a joke, may or may not be relevant, about overzealous engineers...

EXECUTION DAY

[FONT=&quot]Three men were sentenced to be executed in public by guillotine; a priest, a rabbi, and an engineer. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]First was the priest and he asked that he face upwards so he could look at Heaven and his Creator at the moment of his death.

His wish was granted and the blade fell, but suddenly stopped half an inch from his neck.

The crowd gasped in amazement. The executioner said since the guillotine spared him, so would his life also be spared and he was allowed to live. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Next was the rabbi and he also asked that he be allowed to face upwards to look to his creator before his death. Again the guillotine stopped just short and his life was spared as well. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The engineer was last and he too asked to face upwards given what happened with the first two. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]As he lay there, he looked up at the guillotine mechanism and said... "Aha, yes... I see the problem!".[/FONT]

Sounds like some of the engineers I had to deal with.

I just use a Sham Wow in the bottom of the boat, they hold a lot of water, are cheap and useful for a lot of water moving chores.

Brian

Late to this thread.... SHAMWOW! Its a lot faster at water absorption than a fabric covered sponge, it also doubles as my camp towel too... great for drying off dirty feet before camp shoes go on, it also picks up debris in the canoe much better than a spinge.

Jason

Natural sponge tends to be much more thirsty than synthetic junk. My Subaru dealer gave me two terry-cloth covered sponges that have worked well for me. Not sure what the innards are made from.

I use a cheep-o sponge from a my bathroom grout job. I stuff it up under the deck, unless it's raining, where it then just lays on the floor.
It's a good feeling to wipe out the sand and mud after a day of tripping.

Back