• Happy Leif Erikson Day! ⛵🪓🛡️

Something like a Bell Yellowstone

Joined
Mar 3, 2020
Messages
192
Reaction score
459
Location
Saskatchewan
Had a bit of a Marketplace score the other day, so I guess I’m going into canoe building mode soon. I really enjoy my wife’s Bell Yellowstone, can anyone recommend a model with plans that’s similar?
Unreal, they’d been using the planks for shelves for the last 50 years, not a knot in the pile, full1”x12”x16’&14’s
IMG_5265.jpeg
 
I think I can still put my hands on the digital plans for this boat. When I was designing it I had a composite Wildfire available and compared measurements as a sanity check now and again. It's not a copy but it's in the same ballpark. Mine, as I recall, has more volume.


Alan
 
You might consider the Osprey. Osprey and Yellowstone have similar capabilities; both have good handling and very nice cruising efficiency for maneuverable boats. I sold my composite Yellowstone because I prefer the Osprey. I recently bought a (blue) Swift Cirrus; it has similar characteristics as Osprey and Yellowstone and does not give up performance but somehow Yost gave it extra stability.

20260912_122326.jpg

20260826_173154.jpg
 
Last edited:
I second the Osprey. Great boat.

This prior thread links to several other options.


Monel
 
based on the looks of that garage door, perhaps you raised hockey players.
Yup! The two seasons around here - hockey and paddling! They still shoot in there lots so I’ll have a 5 month window to build during ODR season.
I think I can still put my hands on the digital plans for this boat. When I was designing it I had a composite Wildfire available and compared measurements as a sanity check now and again. It's not a copy but it's in the same ballpark.
Thanks Alan, that’s definitely a candidate, 14’ or less is kinda where my mind is at, I have other boats for tripping, this one will be my local paddlecraft on the small twisty river I frequent. Speed isn’t a main priority.

IMG_5268.jpeg

Thanks Gumpus and Monel! I will consider the Osprey and appreciate your feedback!
 
I'm a kneeler and have paddled both Royalex and composite Yellowstones so not sure which is your reference. Anyway, just to be clear I'd take the Osprey over a composite Yellowstone for twisty rivers every time because it's definitely more maneuverable than Yellowstone and also more playful. Osprey leans more easily and has less secondary stability. Yellowstone stern has little rocker and feels skegged.compared to Osprey which has a whole bunch of rocker (pic). Osprey is my all time favorite for J or C stroking (or whatever I do) because the boat is so responsive. Just wanted to be clear about Osprey. Wildfires are nice on twisty stuff too.
20250530_165821.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom