• Happy Tear the Tags Off the Mattress Day! 🛏️✂️🏷️🚔🚨👮

Silver Rilver Florida or It's still midnight.

Reaction score
Day trip on the Silver River near Ocala Florida that started with getting up at 3:45 am. The first thing I heard when the alarm went off was Its still midnight. This was the wife as she turned off the alarm. Luckily Rays Wayside Park is assessable early via a self pay station. Dawn was 7:15 AM we launched at 6:30 AM. With lights on our heads we started up stream towards Silver Springs. As the dawn came it was a wonderful world unfolding around us. First was the owls hooting and the gators grunting. Then as the dawn came and went the the birds woke up sang and started flying. When the birds were done the monkeys were just waking up. Limpkins were very noisy, almost screaming. We were alone on this often over crowded river. It was great even wonderful. The flora and fauna was just about at full leaf out. Cypress trees were about the only trees not fully leafed out. Swamp lilies and wild iris are just starting to bloom. The water cleared up about half way up stream and became the famous clear water it is known for after the nights rain. A few less fish than there used to be and algae was more evident than used to be the closer you get to the head springs. Once up to the springs the Fort King trail is open to every one now. Not just the glass bottom boats. The caged animals are all gone now and the old attraction structures are falling down but it was still a nice side trip. Their is a launch near the head springs now that the state has taken over. This is also were we encountered the first other paddlers. As my wife put it we owned the river for a while. The old canoe launch is still there and you can stop at it just not launch at it unless you are camping in the near by camp ground. As we neared Rays Landing to take out four and a half hours later the motor boats started appearing along with more paddlers again. A welcome sight greeted us . About twelve canoes loaded to the gills were putting in to go tripping on the Ocklawaha river that the Sliver river feeds into. Many kayakers and a racing canoe were also putting in. Not to mention the boaters lining up to use the ramps. Its the story of our canoeing life. We are usually taking out just as every one else is putting in. Was getting up at 3:45 am worth it. Yea, we owned the river for just a little while.

Florida has monkeys?!?

Sounds very nice. I always mean to get up and out early but rarely do. It's always a treat when it happens though.

Alan

That was a serene sylvan morning on the water cflcanoe. I really enjoyed that, thanks. The gators and monkeys would unsettle me.
I've never risen quite so early as that. It would be nice to see the sunrise from the water.

Escapees from when it was a tourist attraction

I might have to get down there to see that. Things that aren't "right" really bother my dog. I always thought monkeys in the trees would completely blow her mind.

Are they successfully breeding or just living out the rest of their lives? If breeding are they making efforts to control the population? If so I'd think it would be pretty controversial.

Alan

The monkeys are breading (we saw a mother with her young last time) and yes it is very controversial. Used to be a trapper controlling the population. Last I heard they had him stop. Have personaly sean three different troups. After some very long debates my family has reluctantly decided not to take our dogs out in canoes any more. Too many gators that think of them as snacks. Do please come down in the spring or fall Alan. Many great day trips and a few tripping opportunity's down here. Maybe you dog can visit mine while you canoe. An ABCA boarder collie and a half collie lab mix.

Now on to a couple of things I should have added to the post. The Silver River is high and at almost flood stage. As are most of the central Florida rivers. Current is at about three miles per hour. This river is suitable for canoes that do not turn easy. Not that twisty at all. Dogs can launch at Rays Wayside park but not at the State Park.

cflcanoe, we just missed each by a few days. My wife and I launched @ Rays. Decent current and high river. Not too difficult to paddle up river, though much easier on the return. We did not launch as early as you so we had many others out and about. Still an enjoyable trip. My wife loves the monkeys.

Rivers are very high in Fla. Suwanee was flooded and over the banks the day I cycled there.

From what I have heard/read the monkeys have been there a long time and yes are breeding well. They will throw stuff at you and threaten to jump in your boat.

Is it possible to launch private craft from the State Park launch at the end by the lagoon? I know its a lot more expensive.

It is eight dollars to get in Silver Spring state park and four dollars once inside to launch. Have not launched from the State Park do not know distance from launch to car. Just talked to a park ranger and the rental agent from the water.

Sorry to have missed you Balto Charlie. Drop us a line. May be next winter will see you. Have learned that when on a popular canoe runs/trails during weekends early birds get the river. If we even get our normal rainy season my feeling is most rivers in Florida will flood this summer.

From what I have heard/read the monkeys have been there a long time and yes are breeding well. They will throw stuff at you and threaten to jump in your boat.

Is it possible to launch private craft from the State Park launch at the end by the lagoon? I know its a lot more expensive.

There is now a launch at the head spring. Here it is in November 2014:

DSCN2387.JPG

You can drive your car to within 10 yards of the boat ramp for unloading and loading, but then have to park it about 75 yards away in the attraction parking lot.

I was staying overnight in Silver Springs State Park, so my entry to the head spring and launch was free. I don't know what the day fee is. The new launch at the head spring does give access to about a half mile of back channels that were formerly reserved for the tourist boats.

Actually, the next time I would continue to put in at Rays Wayside Park and paddle upstream first. Paddling downstream and then back up seemed much more tiring.

I heard the monkeys were originally introduced when Tarzan movies were filmed at Silver Springs. Speaking of which:

No Title

I ask because this chemo thing may prevent me from paddling upriver. I have paddled the Silver several times from Rays and agree its more convenient.
Last year I went down all the back channels but this one got me yelled at. Seems the old boats are an attractive nuisance and the lawyers have made this area off limits.

Attachments

• photo1879.jpg
    photo1879.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 0
Yellow: They also have a dock @ ~ 2 miles down river if you feel bad. I saw some folks launch from there but have no idea if they were down and back or started from there. I think they started from there. Also many paddlers from SR launch paddled down to Rays and were shuttled back. Not certain if they paid for the shuttled or organized their own. I will say I was tired at the end of the day. My wife did not paddle much as I was trying to see how I handled the boat alone. Long day nonetheless.

cflcanoe: I'll let you know next time ...probably next winter.

Back