• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

Shore Lunch

Great short film of time well spent on a northern lake.
That last view looking across the lake from your shore lunch, back against the gunnel, is a stunner of a shot.
Thanks Robin.

Nice video, definitely sets up the coming season. I can't wait to get out

I was killing some time too on a rainy Sunday and brought youtube up on the big screen TV. Right there in the recommended row was "Shore Lunch." Fresh from the editing room and a joy to watch.

Right away your video reminded me of a good friend, that was along with my youngest son and I, in the BWCA. We packed up one morning, and he was solo, and got an earlier start, heading to the next camp.

By the time we caught up to him, around noon, He had stopped, and fried up his morning catch.

I've never actually done a shore lunch. Always took my catch back to camp and shared with others, besides my gear was there.
I'll plan a shore lunch this year, if the fish cooperate !

Thanks Robin ! I enjoyed it !

Jim

Hey Thanks for the nice remarks, this time of year is really tough for me and I'm glad this video was well received.

Nice video, Robin. Looked very relaxing and set my mind to reminiscing. My favorite part of the day is often stopping for lunch. In the morning there's the hustle and bustle of breaking camp and thinking about the day's route. In the evening there's the search for a good campsite and then setting it up before cooking dinner as the bugs begin to descend. But the lunch stop is nothing but relaxation. No need to find a suitable campsite and no need to unload all the gear from the boat. Just find a nice slab of rock and build a crackling fire to cook on at the edge of the water while you relax after a morning of hard work. It's usually after the noon meal as I sit overlooking the lake/river when I get a little chill and really appreciate what a special place I'm in and how lucky I am to be there.

How do you like tripping in those Bean Boots? What's traction like on the wet lichen covered rocks up there?

Alan

I watched this just before bed...should make for some happy dreams. I love the carefully measured coffee, and yes, tobacco is the right thing to do there.

Nice video, Robin. Looked very relaxing and set my mind to reminiscing.

How do you like tripping in those Bean Boots? What's traction like on the wet lichen covered rocks up there?

Alan

Thanks for the atta boys.

Alan, when the boot's sole is fairly new they provide pretty good traction. As they get older and the bottom smooths out you need to take care in slippery situations.
I use them year round and walking the dogs on pavement probably wears them smooth faster
But, you can send them back to Maine and get new bottoms sewn to the leather uppers.
I have never had a pair that didn't eventually leak where the rubber is sewn to the leather, Sno Seal helps. I prefer them on a portage, no worry about mud suckin' them off and I have never had an issue about ankle support.
At night I take the sole inserts out wipe the inside dry and by morning if the day looks dry I might use dry socks, otherwise damp socks go on.

A shore lunch makes for a great way to relax, eat and sometimes dry out ones feet. I know you like your walleye fillets fried straight up. We powder ours with a touch of bisquick. Agree that one doesn't want to take away from the flavor of the fish.

Back