• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Shelta Hats

I have to say I'm pretty happy with my Shelta Hat. My only complaint is that the XXXL size come in a color I wanted. Very comfortable and I love the stiff brim.

Attachments

• photo12904.jpg
    photo12904.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 17
  • photo12905.jpg
    photo12905.jpg
    410.5 KB · Views: 17
  • photo12906.jpg
    photo12906.jpg
    379.5 KB · Views: 17
I only tried a tilley style hat once, and I seriously disliked it. Has anyone else had the experience where you throw the canoe up on your shoulders to port, and the back brim of the hat gets wedged in the yoke, pulling the hat off your head, causing all kinds of portage ruckus?

I know that many hard core canoeists love them, so don't get offended by my next statement, but Tilley hats make me feel like I'm a conformist, and a member of some uberchique group of posers. The kind that show up at the portage with a fleece paddle sock, and look like Martha Stewart dressed them, and refuse to canoe camp if there is no thunderbox.

I come from the baseball hat, cigarette smoking, beer swilling line of canoeists. We might stink, and dislike the concept of washing, but we can get er done.
A few of my chums. Notice there are no Tilley hats.
NQP8Gs4.jpg

never owned a tilly brand and was a baseball hat guy hat into my late 20's, still wear them now and then, but primarily wide brims for the past few decades due to sun protection. I've put my dermatologists' kids through college and keep his wife in a new mercedes every year.

Funny arse post mem, if I ever find myself up your way we're gonna' swill beers and run chainsaws while shooting guns from a gas powered freighter canoe...

Ha ha. Ever the outspoken one my friend, and I can't argue with that, but I am sure others can.
Let the great hat debate begin!

I am in the middle of a Marie Kondo fest at home right now and glad it hasn't reached my hat collection. Step away from my ball caps and nobody'll get hurt. My current favourite is a Lund trucker's my uncle gave me.
My silly Tilly-like chapeau resides in the back of my van just in case, cause ya never know. I have had sunburnt ears and that ain't funny.

Last edited:
CAUTION! Thread drift!
I don't know when or how I ever became a hat guy, or maybe I'm just dreamin hats suit my ugly mug, but I do have a few. A very good friend brought back a tweed cap from Ireland for me. Beautiful, but it doesn't fit. I really should get it tailored. A daughter brought me another also from an Ireland trip that fits perfectly. Trouble is they feel a little weird, aesthetically/culturally speaking. My father was a big fan of flat caps. After he passed I searched for his caps but they'd already been discarded. Dammit. I wanted so much to see the world from under one of his hats. But now I've got a couple of my own, I just have to get used to wearing them. Not quite ball cap, not quite brimmed hat. Not terribly practical. But the tweed sure is warm and fashionable in an old country way.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_cap

Last edited:
That used to be my canoetripping hat for a couple of years. I inherited one from my Grandfather when he died, so I wore it on every trip as a remembrance. Wool is pretty hot in the summer, and it developed quite an odour after a while. Not sure what happened to it, but pretty sure one of my wives threw it out.

58461479_347891386074649_8314616695721295872_n.jpg Over the years I have had to wear many hats...literally. Berets are my least favourite, second only to a steel helmet. I have had many different incarnations of the bush hat but my Tilley is the ultimate in uber chic poserness. A small tilt and a rakish angle draw adoring glances at every put in...for the hat, not me. Mine is not the classic Tilley but more of an Indiana Jones style, which obviously suits me perfectly. I may need to start carrying a whip. And a cystal wine glass to sip tepid chianti from...." I say, porter, how much farther is it ? "

...but Tilley hats make me feel like I'm a conformist, and a member of some uberchique group of posers. The kind that show up at the portage with a fleece paddle sock, and look like Martha Stewart dressed them, and refuse to canoe camp if there is no thunderbox.
LOL, I just spit out my coffee! I'll never look at floppy hats the same again.

Shelta Hats are awesome!

I have used a Seahawk since getting into canoeing a few years ago. I tried the Condor model too, and returned it. It was just too wide of a brim. The Seahawk is a great size.

I wear the Seahawk while on the water, and I bring a baseball cap for around camp.

I have owned floppy army/navy surplus hats in the past, and didn't like them. With the stiff brim up front, Shelta Hats are a much better design, in my opinion.

Last edited:
I always hated Tilley hats. In fact I was never much of a hat guy in general. Baseball caps… meh. I tend to only use them when I wear ear muffs for example when running the weed eater. But as I got older, my parents’ generation and now my friends are getting little pieces cut off by the dermatologists. To be fair, when has a dermatologist not cut a piece off? When you’re a hammer everything looks like a nail! Anyway, now I’ve got a couple Tilleys, and am happy to keep the sun off. One of my colleagues also use a hooded sun shirt with a hat on over that. The hood covers the ears and back of the neck. Excellent sun protection!

I only tried a tilley style hat once, and I seriously disliked it. Has anyone else had the experience where you throw the canoe up on your shoulders to port, and the back brim of the hat gets wedged in the yoke, pulling the hat off your head, causing all kinds of portage ruckus?

I know that many hard core canoeists love them, so don't get offended by my next statement, but Tilley hats make me feel like I'm a conformist, and a member of some uberchique group of posers. The kind that show up at the portage with a fleece paddle sock, and look like Martha Stewart dressed them, and refuse to canoe camp if there is no thunderbox.

I come from the baseball hat, cigarette smoking, beer swilling line of canoeists. We might stink, and dislike the concept of washing, but we can get er done.
A few of my chums. Notice there are no Tilley hats.
NQP8Gs4.jpg
I hear you .... and you'll never see my canoe on top of a Subaru either!! :ROFLMAO:

I hear you .... and you'll never see my canoe on top of a Subaru either!! :ROFLMAO:

I had a Subaru for a while- until our family outgrew it with the first set of twins.

It was an Outback 2.5XT with the 5-spd. What a fun car to drive! That little turbo was amazing.

I just got a shelta hat and love it! I ordered to late for my allagash trip which was okay because when I dumped in rapids the only thing I lost was my cheap, floppy, boonie style hat. Good riddance.

Back