• Happy National Limerick Day! 🅰️🅰️🅱️🅱️🅰️

Second hand book store finds........

Reaction score
A couple of weekends ago, my wife and I were in Columbus, Ohio visiting our son and after lunch we hit a coffee shop in his neighborhood and saw a used bookstore next door.......naturally we had to stop in. It was one of the better used bookstores I have ever been in. It took up two store fronts and didn't have a bare shelf in the store. Not only were the shelves full of books, but the books lined up on the shelves had more books wedged into them to the bottom of the shelf above it. The floors were lined with boxes of books, in most cases stacked high enough to cover the bottom 2-3 shelves on the book racks. Fortunately they didn't take plastic, cash only, otherwise we could have very easil come home with a couple boxes of books........those of you from the East coast may be familiar with the authors of the first book...Fast forward a couple of weeks and we found ourselves back in Columbus and stopped at the bookstore on the way home and I found 2 Sigurd Olson books that I hadn't read yet......One was an early edition from 1973 and the other was a reprint from 1991....I paid $11.00 for the two of them, both in great shape..... Mike A.

Attachments

• photo5942.jpg
    photo5942.jpg
    326.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo5943.jpg
    photo5943.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 0
  • photo5944.jpg
    photo5944.jpg
    436.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
A good used bookstore is a thing of beauty.

My favorite is the Unicorn in Easton MD on the westbound side of Rte 50.

http://www.unicornbookshop.com/

The entire expansive back wall is the “Boats and Nautical” section, and mixed in that mass of boatbooks I have always found a canoeing treasure or three.

That back wall is so intriguing that I have only recently begun to explore further into the stacks ISO specific out of print books and authors and have been rewarded there as well.

Rte 50 in Easton MD. I regret all the years I just drove past.

You have a real treasure trove there in Ohio. Nice finds and at silly low prices too.
Most of my books are second hand. I can't remember the last time i walked into a "new" bookstore. Perhaps for a coffee and a glimpse at the trinkets and gifts, but not likely for the books. Nothing against new books of course, there's new titles revealed all the time I want to ponder, but used book stores are as much about the exploration as the treasured finds.
Congrats Jatfomike, and thanks for sharing. You also jogged my memory. My NC brother borrowed my Lonely Land last summer. Or was it two summers ago? I might have to jog his memory too. Maybe with a friendly brotherly note...tucked inside the front sleeve of a used treasured find sent across the miles.

Anyone who enjoys a good old book but doesn't have a decent second hand bookstore anywhere close (and rejects Amazon as the supplier of record) try ABE Books, they seem to operate as a consortium for finding and shipping second hand books of nearly any vintage and interest (seemingly from 100's+ independent bookstores all over the country).

I have had great luck with buying from them and have picked up several great titles that folks on CT recommended.

amazon bought abe books nine or so years ago -- still a great service that I prefer more times than not...

Thankfully second hand book shops are still common in upstate NY but I do purchase my "new" books from Edward R. Hamilton: https://www.hamiltonbook.com/

Their catalog is pretty extensive and they also sell CDs & DVDs. The best part, shipping is only $3.50 regardless of how big your order may be. Typically the books you'll purchase will be 25% of the original price so the savings can be significant.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

I recently found a book by LL Bean from the 30's it was titled "Hunting ,Fishing and Camping." I doubt that there are many copies of it out there, as he recommends ripping out the pages that are pertinent to your trip and taking them with you for reference.

A couple of weekends ago, my wife and I were in Columbus, Ohio visiting our son ..... Mike A.

Our daughter is a student at Ohio State but studying abroad this semester. Maybe next August I will stop by that store and leave my credit card in the car. Is your son a student there or just lives there?

Our daughter is a student at Ohio State but studying abroad this semester. Maybe next August I will stop by that store and leave my credit card in the car. Is your son a student there or just lives there?

He graduated last year and while job hunting, found a full time job on campus.....he now gets free tuition so he is back in school....he loves Columbus! He lives in Clintonville which is just North of Campus on High St......The bookstore is around the corner from him, but the name escapes me at the moment......I am out of town for the weekend, but will dig up the name for you when I get home...

Mike

Karen Wickliff-Books
3527 N. High St.
Columbus, Ohio 43214
(614) 263-2903

I'm meeting my son in C-bus onSunday to attend the big fishing show downtown......I have a feeling i may wind up back at the bookstore........

Mike

"A good used bookstore is a thing of beauty."

Couldn't agree more!

As I travel my go to in any city are used bookstores and used record stores. Love the sensory overload you get from the look, feel and smell of a good one.
The special ones are those with well organized shelves- and boxes of yet to be sorted books on the floors...

A few faves north of the border: Edmonton Bookstore in Old Strathcona Edmonton, canoeing books are in the adventure and Travel section, excellent selection of Military History books too ( my other love) and very knowledgeable staff. https://edmontonbookstore.com/

Aquila Books in Calgary specializes in Canadian history, with special emphasis on Western Canada, Native and the North. http://www.aquilabooks.com/

In Kinsgston Ontario, Wayfarer and Berry & Peterson downtown near the harbour are always worth a look...And Brian's Used Records a little further up Princess Street is an unsorted mess but still love it 35 years on! ( Last time in there found a copy of Southside Johnny's "At least We Have Shoes" Album that i'd been after for years!)

Glad i'm not the only one with this gene defect...

Bruce

I have had great luck at our local Value Village and Goodwill stores for canoeing books. I have found Hap Wilson's: Temagami a Wilderness Paradise, and Kevin Callan's: Top 50 Canoe Routes, Killarney and the French River, Ontario's Lost Canoe Routes, Quetico and Beyond, Cottage Country, Gone Canoeing, The Happy Camper, and A Paddler's Guide to Weekend Wilderness adventures in Southern Ontario. Some of these I found in duplicate for friends as well. All were less than $3.00 each Canadian. (What is that like .50 cents U.S. now?)

I have had great luck at our local Value Village and Goodwill stores for canoeing books. I have found Hap Wilson's: Temagami a Wilderness Paradise, and Kevin Callan's: Top 50 Canoe Routes, Killarney and the French River, Ontario's Lost Canoe Routes, Quetico and Beyond, Cottage Country, Gone Canoeing, The Happy Camper, and A Paddler's Guide to Weekend Wilderness adventures in Southern Ontario. Some of these I found in duplicate for friends as well. All were less than $3.00 each Canadian. (What is that like .50 cents U.S. now?)

3 bucks a book? Three Canadian dollars a book?! If you weren't such a nice guy, I'd hate you.
Nice find. You have an instant paddler's library in one discount store visit. He shoots! He scores!

Last edited:
Being on the doorstep to Ontario's cottage country has some perks. I picked up one yesterday called Alaska to Nunavut, The great Rivers by Neil Hartling, It makes me want to go North this summer badly!

I just found two at my local Goodwill store. " A Narrative Of The Life Of Mrs. Mary Jemison Who Was Taken By The Indians In 1755" I thought two bucks was pretty good for a book with such a long title.

Three bucks got me "A Voice In Our Wilderness". It's a book of short articles written by John Husar, a columnist for the Chicago Tribune.

They were so cheap I almost felt guilty taking the 10% senior discount.

Here in Connecticut is the Book Barn in Niantic. They've gotten so big that they opened three annexes. One of the annexes has a wonderful maritime section with a selection of canoeing titles. I've been told that there is also an outdoors-camping-section that I keep running out of time to find.
I know I could just look it up, but does anybody know if the Strand Bookstore is still there in lower Manhattan?
Mowgli

Back