• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Sealing/Waterproofing Plywood

Reaction score
I have built 2 teardrop trailers mine which is about 8 years old now. And one for a friend that’s 4 years old. The friends one came back to me this weekend because they noticed mold on the wall. After lifting the mattress up there was mold under it. So I told them just to bring it to the shop so we could figure out what was going on.

Long story but water was weeping in on the end grain of the plywood floor along with a leak around the a/c unit.

When you get to destruct something you built because it fails makes for a good learning experience. We have the a/c problem fixed. I am replacing the floor with exterior grade plywood and I am wanting to seal it with epoxy or CPES........ so all that to ask everyones opinion/experience with epoxy and wood here. This will be on 3/4" exterior grade plywood. I was thinking of sealing the bottom and around to the top about 6" in. I have been looking at Raka 127/608 kit also MAS PES kit. I know very little about either.

Questions:
Which one would you recommend?
If I went with epoxy do I need to lay glass down with it?
I was planning on putting a rubberized top coat on the bottom to try and protect it from rocks and such. Good/Bad?
Go with a different system than what I have mentioned?

Epoxy does a good job of sealing the end grain on plywood. A few years back I used it to seal all the frames on a skin on frame decked canoe. I also used it on the plywood seat risers on my most recent build. You might want to do 2 coats to make sure it's sealed, maybe add a little thickener on the second coat especially if there are any voids. You might be fine doing one generous coat on the face of the plywood, but using glass would be unnecessary. I would use whichever epoxy is least expensive.

Mark

Thank you alsg and dogbrain for the replies. I am going to order the epoxy and go for it. Soak the edges and coat the bottom.

Back