• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Roy's Mystery Wood Canoe

Inside has just been finished. I reinforced the seats with a layer of 6oz cloth and 3/8 strip of walnut underneath. I'm confident there will be no issues with breakage. One other issue... I've noticed this before, (see picture) but it didn't look this obvious. I don't believe this scale. I leaned it on the it's side where the thwart is.

Attachments

• photo17228.jpg
    photo17228.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo17229.jpg
    photo17229.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo17230.jpg
    photo17230.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo17230.jpg
    photo17230.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 0
Inside has just been finished. I reinforced the seats with a layer of 6oz cloth and 3/8 strip of walnut underneath. I'm confident there will be no issues with breakage. One other issue... I've noticed this before, (see picture) but it didn't look this obvious. I don't believe this scale. I leaned it on the it's side where the thwart is.

65 lbs is the design weight.

The idea is to fill those gaps with thickened epoxy before glassing. But if you've glassed and epoxied, the light showing through the gaps is just cosmetic. I have a couple of spots on mine.

Thanks for the reassurance alsg. I am certain these voids have been filled with epoxy. I was expecting 70+ pounds because of the heavier wood I used. I guess I have been expecting something to break and fail. I'm glad you and others have built the same thing. I find out next week how it does, and if I'll ever build another.

Looks great! Don't worry about the spots where the sun shines through, it's all good. The weight is good too! Hope you take pics when you put it on the water!

I have more than a couple (probably a dozen) of light spots shining through on my canoe. One thing I know for sure is that the canoe has not sunk yet. This is an area I would like to improve on during my next build but just like memaquay and Al said it is all aesthetic. Don't worry about the light shining through. Just as long as she floats!!!!

I modified the seat back from my other canoe. My wife likes the back rest. The canoe handles great, and tracks very well. I am very pleased with it.

I want to say Thank you all for your help, support and advice. I don't think I would've done it with out you all.

Roy

​​​​​

Attachments

• photo17319.jpg
    photo17319.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 2
  • photo17320.jpg
    photo17320.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 2
  • photo17321.jpg
    photo17321.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 2
That's awesome! Looks great on the water.

People think wood strip canoes are unique and you have a unique one among them.

Alan

Thank you Alan. My wife notice the spots where she could see light through the hull. She asked but didn't appear to be to overly concerned about it.

I've had several people stop at our camp site and ask about it. One lady in a pleasure boat stopped and said she could smell the new varnish.

My wife wants me to build her a small canoe.
​​​​​

Beautiful! Between me, you and dcloots,we now have enough Wabnaki's on this site to have our own club with a secret handshake and annual meetings!

Ooh secret club.. I would love to come up north and paddle some of those lakes and rivers.

We almost got washed out by one of those big ski/party boats. To be fair the lady came blasting around a point, and didn't us on the other side. She stopped real quick and apologized for the wake. We laughed about it because we just rolled over it. She admired the canoe and stated that she could still smell the polyurethane. We had a great time camping on the beautiful South Holston lake near Bristol TN. First time my wife, of 36 years, has came camping with me.

Attachments

• photo17329.jpg
    photo17329.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 2
  • photo17330.jpg
    photo17330.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 2
  • photo17331.jpg
    photo17331.jpg
    378.2 KB · Views: 2
  • photo17332.jpg
    photo17332.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 2
  • photo17333.jpg
    photo17333.jpg
    330.4 KB · Views: 2
  • photo17334.jpg
    photo17334.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 2
  • photo17335.jpg
    photo17335.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 2
Sorry didn't mean to be rude. I'd like to meet other people, such as a bunch like you all, some day. When this mess with the virus calms and or goes away, I want to come north and have a great canoe camping trip where I don't have to worry about getting run over by motor boats. Primitive camping away from crowds.

AMEN !

I just returned from 5 days in the BWCA .

Though I wasn't alone on my Solo trip, there was still enough privacy to make it fun !

I'd be glad to sneak a non Wabanaki Stripper in if I could !

Jim

Congratulations Roybrew! Very exciting to see the canoe hull wetted. I am sure you had no issues with stability regardless of the boat wake. The Wabnaki by design is incredibly stable as I am sure you can now attest. Beautiful work Roybrew! The canoe looks great.....well done! Enjoy it to the fullest!

Back