• Happy National Audubon Day! 🐣🐦🦅🕊️

Rethinking my ditch kit....

Thank you thekat. I'm glad you found it helpful. This forum's a great place for new ideas and time-tested old practices. The forum has lots of people who have highly varied canoe tripping and day-tripping experiences. It's a great resource for any paddler, no matter how long he or she's been paddling.

Cheers,
- Martin

I love your text supported by pics. It's clear you attend to details and are generous enough to divulge in detail. Now, since you're having no problem posting pics, do you have any insight into why I can't? I posed this question in the problems area.

oldie moldy,

I've just recently changed my whole ditch kit philosophy. I used to carry it in a makeshift fanny pack. It had a lot of useful stuff in it, and while it was reasonably small, it was not light and not comfortable to wear all day long. For an hour...sure...great. But on those hot muggy days, or when bushwacking/portaging through dense bush, it was constrictive and made me want to lose it as soon as possible. Worse yet, my rather petite wife hated wearing hers, even though I'd taken pains to make her kit smaller and lighter (yet complete) as possible. She'd take it off everytime she sat down for a break, sat in the canoe, or cram it into her day pack or backpack every chance she could, thus defeating the purpose of having a ditch kit. There's really little point in having a well-stocked ditch kit if you're not going to have it on your person when you find yourself separated from your boat or camping gear and tripping partner. As for myself, I forced myself to wear it almost always, but because we camp in bear country, I invariably carry a belt canister of bear spray on me. Between the bear spray and ditch kit, I felt completely encumbered, constricted about the waist, and I too came to resent it. I eventually tried smaller versions, but everything worn about the waist eventually grew uncomfortable, especially when portaging or practicing bush craft. I wanted something that I would be happy to keep on me when paddling, on portages, sitting and reading under the tarp, doing camp chores, going to the latrine, hanging the food barrel at night, etc.

So, I've recently completely changed what we carry to only things that are tiny, lightweight, non-bulky, and where the whole kit can easily and comfortably fit in a pant or breast pocket. I still bring along all the regular emergency stuff I used to carry (a proper first-aid kit, thermal/reflective blanket, lots of cord, duct tape, bug dope, etc), but that stays in my canoe pack. My on-person ditch kit, on the other hand, is absolutely minimalist. Stripped-down as it is, it lacks a great many things I'd want if one of us became separated from the other and the rest of our gear, but it is something we can each carry directly on our persons at all times to get us through alive.

The items in our on-person ditch kits are:
- Bear spray canister on belt (with carabiner)
- DIY paracord bracelet with about 15 feet of cordage (worn on a wrist),
- small drawstring sac containing:
- A Swiss Army knife (including a saw),
- micro whistle,
- button compass,
- micro-mini waterproof lighter,
- micro mini
cheap led flashlights
- mini waterproof pill container (for benadryl, water purification tablets, etc).

It will seem an odd trade-off to some, but I just figured that the only ditch kit worth putting together and bringing along is the one you're actually going to have on your person if you unexpectedly lose all your gear in rapids, become separated from your party or gear, etc.

I'm very open to suggestions from anyone who can think of other very small, light, compact items I could add to this.

Cheers,
-Martin
hello friend sorry for old thread reply but I am looking to get new ditch kit. Please help me in making right choice as I am not fully aware about it.. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
What exactly is the purpose of your ditch kits? I'm curious, because I have never used one. I paddle in Northern Ontario, all the rivers are pool and drop stuff. I've trashed out a couple of times in bad rapids on extended trips, once on a solo trip, and always recovered everything. I've also watched several other canoes sink in rapids (in the school club I run), and we've always recovered everything, other than loose things that sink. I always have a couple of lighters on me and a belt knife and a whistle.

I could see the purpose in big rivers with really fast current that might sweep your stuff miles away, but for the stuff i run, I'm pretty secure without a fanny pack. I could be convinced though, with enough good reasons.

Donnie, I do believe that at the bottom, what most of us are talking about here is some sort of situation where we have become separated from our canoe and what tools do we need to bridge the gap until we recover it or effect a rescue on our own or with help. Those tools will be what we carry in a ditch kit. Those tools, however great they may be, are useless if we haven't the skills to use them. What that means is we must practice the needed skills before they become needed in a real survival situation where mistakes and fumbling will cost us dearly.

I'd begin by reading up on basic survival skills and see what were the tools I needed to accomplish the task. Amazon has many books on the subject; they wind up being my go-to place for information. You will notice that many survival books talk about making flint knives and cord from plants and what to eat in the woods. All that is dandy information but not really what we are talking about here. Our problems are of a shorter time duration and will be solved (or not) with what we have with us.

There is a great DVD on the subject: "Prepared to Survive" Gretchen Cordy. The DVD shows the skills that you need to know for right now situations. I guess if I had to pick just one source of information the video would be it.
You will notice that I haven't suggested to get this tool or that one; what you select to use will be a personal decision based on what worked for you. But what ever you wind up putting in your ditch kit ought to have wear marks on it from use and practice!!

Best Wishes, Rob

YellowCanoe, thanks for pointing out that Blizzardblanket. It looks like just the thing for my group emergency kit - perfect for a body burrito. It's available at MEC for $40.00 so I'll pick one up when I go replenish some of my new solo gear.

I've had no failures when checking my PLB and sending OK messages home with my SPOT. I tested them in downtown Ottawa surrounded by 10-20 story business towers. Once on a street running N-S and another E-W. All tests performed well. When in Inuvik NWT, I sent a successful "I"m OK" message with the SPOT on the dash of my north-facing truck.

In short I'm really happy with both units. Phyllis, my wife, got me a SPOT a few years back after seeing just how nice and informative YC's was on a trip I did with YC a few years back. Regardless of where I've put the SPOT to transmit, Phyllis has always received the notice. She's also realizes that my SPOT evening notice is nice, but that lack of a notice, does not constitute an emergency. That's what the PLB is for.

I gave up using a fanny pack and am now just using my PFD pockets and pants leg pockets. PLB is always in one PFD pocket along with a pen launcher and 2 red flares; Mylar blanket and 10 Aquatabs in a pants pocket; my whistle and water knife are always on my PFD; I have 50' of paracord attached to one of the PFD adjustment straps.
I always carry the PLB whether solo or with a group. Since my group is in their 50s and 60s, medical issues may be an issue at some time and, as we all know, accidents happen. Generally ditch kits aren't too much of an issue when in groups. But if solo or just one tandem, ditch kits. IMHO, should be mandatory.

cheers Ted

This is an interesting subject. Do you have more need as a hardened tripper because you push further into the hinterland (like many of you) or more need as a slow motion softie who timidly skirts the edges (like me)? As an obsessive over protective dad (am I the only one?) I see dangers that may not always be there. I made up ditch kits for my wife and I in fanny packs, consisting of the usual suspects.
I often feel like an over burdened nerd, but more than once I remember crossing a choppy open lake and realized that if we (tandem) capsized, we may not reach shore together, much less with any gear. A long cold swim with only a ditch kit sure is a sobering thought. Since then, I’ve felt less nerdy, and more prepared. All of your input and experiences make for a more knowledgeable and safer journey for those of us who are still second guessing this stuff.
BTW, what is the extra paracord for?
Thanks
Brad

Brad, Of course what to use paracord on is open to a million answers; what pops into my mind first is the need to be sheltered from wind. There is some kind of wind chill math that will give you a number for the heat loss but quite simply it's too much especially for anyone wet. With me, once I'm really cold I find my ability to work with my hands drops off rapidly; if it wasn't so serious it would be funny, they change into these clumsy lumps. So....first order of business is fire and a shelter of some kind, made with perhaps the help of the paracord.

Now there's no question that a fire is wonderful but I wonder if nearly equal attention ought to be paid to having some kind of pot to heat water in; if the name of the game is to warm the core body, when you drink hot water all the heat goes into you just where you need it the most. Hmm.....I believe I'm going to start thinking about one of those MSR Stowaway pots with that clip down lid, the kit would go inside and with a canvas cover and sling strap it would look much like one of those old canteens. If the pot itself were wrapped in a plastic bag and sealed the thing would float.
Going to think about this some more.

Best Wishes, Rob

Oldie Moldy said:
"Now there's no question that a fire is wonderful but I wonder if nearly equal attention ought to be paid to having some kind of pot to heat water in"

For a while I carried a small cleaned out tuna fish can with tea bags and a small zip lock stuffed inside. It was sealed with a plastic lid I found and black electrical tape with a string wrapped under the tape for hanging off my belt.
It ended up being to cumbersome and I never really liked the bulk interfering with my activities while canoe tripping, so I abandoned the idea.

But nowadays, as I age, being cold and damp really plays havoc with my head and I need to reconsider. I also need to be more vigilant with my planning and letting others know my plans. I don't carry any electronics and an injury 2 or 3 days into a 2 week trip could be a real problem.

When I did my trip out to Woodland Caribou 3 years ago, I was wind bound for 2 1/2 days on Wrist Lake. I set up out of the wind and did well, but had I swamped and ended up on a shore without my gear, the few items I carry on my person would have got me through. Without the aid of something hot to drink, I would think I would have become defeatist and depressed enough to make wrong decisions...like trying to walk out.

So, the hot water and tea are going back into my kit, just not sure yet how.

Collapsible cup.. either find some birchbark roll it to make a cup and sew it with twine and dab with pitch from an evergreen to prevent leakage or find some flexible aluminum that you can make a cone out of.. with the aid of some duct tape. I have several MSR windscreens that would do in a pinch.

Find a 42 DD bra, cut in half line with plastic.. there is your cup. Folds to nothing.

Or the more traditional way http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOF-Gx7uDbw

You can see that much trouble could be avoided by a bit of aluminum foil as a liner.

Well Yellow Canoe, if I get discovered with a 42 DD bra by my wife, hypothermia will be the least of my problems. Actually, thinking about it and hypothermia begins to sound relatively benign.

Best Wishes, Rob

I stumbled on to a site that demoed how to make a face mask out of a bra.. and wondered ...about the right size for a drinking cup. But like one of those squishy cups you see in the urban outdoorsy stores, it collapses when you grab it.

PSSST..does your wife go through your ditch kit? :)

BTW in light of your beautiful axe sheath, can you make a leather cup that will hold water? A long time ago I did have one.. and lost it.

Last edited:
You can make a cup from several natural materials. Put rock in fire to heat it....put heated rock in cup of water. Just sayin'. I seem to recall reading that hypothermia victims should drink warm liquids - not hot.

I use one of the MSR pots that has the handle folding over to hold the lid on in my camping kit. The MSR Pocket Rocket nests inside with lighter and spoon - but no room for fuel. It's kind of heavy for a ditch kit anyway. I think the ideal thing (if you want to go larger than that great tuna can idea) might be the GSI pot kits...

http://www.rei.com/product/830766/gsi-outdoors-pinnacle-soloist-cookset

If you do a search on fleabay for "survival kit in a can", you will see lot's of variations on Robin's idea. Some of them look pretty good.

It appears I’ve been looking at this ditch kit from the wrong angle, or perspective. According to Yellowcanoe, a bra would make an ample emergency cup. I don’t know cup sizes, despite having been married for 35 years (or maybe NOT knowing cup sizes has contributed to a longer marriage? Hmm). Anyway, the way I see it, if they’re like batteries (stay with me here) then they go from AAA up to D’s, or DD?
If I could convince my wife to get a boob job, then canoe camping could be funner, AND safer. Right? It’s not all about me. I mean, we’d BOTH be safer, right?
It sure beats the heck out of a tuna can.

It appears I’ve been looking at this ditch kit from the wrong angle, or perspective. According to Yellowcanoe, a bra would make an ample emergency cup. I don’t know cup sizes, despite having been married for 35 years (or maybe NOT knowing cup sizes has contributed to a longer marriage? Hmm). Anyway, the way I see it, if they’re like batteries (stay with me here) then they go from AAA up to D’s, or DD?
If I could convince my wife to get a boob job, then canoe camping could be funner, AND safer. Right? It’s not all about me. I mean, we’d BOTH be safer, right?
It sure beats the heck out of a tuna can.

I don't think Robin wants me to go down this road. They(cups) go higher.. You can practice drinking from an old bra. With that I think I best retire from the dddiscussion.

why did I join this forum? why? why? LOL

you guys are cracking me up. thanks. I needed this after a long day...

Sorry for the bad humour. I’ll not go down that road again.
Seriously, I’d never thought about cooking or heating water in an emergency before. I’d hoped a couple energy bars would suffice, along with a solar type blanket. Some basic meds, fire starting kit, extra map and compass are also all that I’ve taken. Does anyone ever practice these situations? I might have to try that to sort this stuff out.
A warm cuppa or hot instant meal would do much for the body and spirits in a dire situation.

Well the weather looks to be closing in and I've spent some time inside playing with my "ditch kit". Found out some things I needed to know: all the normal kitchen matches (strike anywhere kind) in all the various match containers have somehow gotten so soft they won't strike. Checked out my Uco Stormproof Match Kit from REI and the lid has developed a crack where it presses on the "O" ring. The case is only plastic but I'd have thought they would have built it stronger. Tested out one of the stormproof matches and it worked fine and stunk so bad I attempted to put it out in sink, water absolutely covering it! I thought I got it and then here it starts up again! Those things are just a little frightening, it's like the movies where they kill the bad guy and in a little bit he gets up again! Anyway I did a proper job of stinking up the house.
Found three of those cheap BIC lighters, they must be 8-10 years old, still have a full fuel load and light up the first time. Hmmm...believe I'm beginning to see the light.
Hauled out all of my extra small pots just to see, so far the smallest size of the Zebra pots looks to be the most workable. But not near as much fun as Yellow Canoes idea.
I believe I'm developing an enlightenment about all this, it's nearly one of those cosmic rules of the universe: If you've reduced your ditch kit down to manageable size it's not up for much in an emergency. If you have good gear able to help you in the face on your most probable emergencies then it's too big to call it a ditch kit. OK, I can live with that, I'll pack it all in a day pack of some kind and just keep it near in the canoe. Probably I'll need to come up with a new name: 42DD sounds about right!

Best Wishes, Rob

Thanks for the info OldieM, we have an interlibrary loan service here. I’ll look into it.
I pack Bic lighters, and a flint/steel as well. The ability to heat water or food in an emergency is intriguing. Given that my post #33 idea has gotten me into some hot water here at home, the ditch kit might be tried out sooner than I thought.
Take care

oldie-moldy,

I find it helps to store my strikeanywheres & stormproofs in a closed container with ordinary uncooked rice added to absorb moisture in the off season. Warm the rice in the oven first if it is humid. The downside is having to reload your match kits before each excursion/season but I think having dependable matches is worth it. But don't rely on just matches, carry multiple firemaking implements - a ferro rod and hunk of fatwood are nearly foolproof and work when wet.

Another trick is to wax your matches - time consuming and a bit messy in the hot months.

Tom

Thanks Tom for the tips. For me the favorite is that ferro rod and some cotton balls with vaseline.

Thinking about all this ditch kit stuff and of course is implied that something has gone wrong in a major way. Maybe it might be of interest to show my how-do-I-rescue-my-canoe thing. When you think on it your canoe is the best "ditch kit" and on top of that it represents a bunch of money. For me the plan is not to get too far from shore most anytime and then if we did get swamped to get to shore and rescue the canoe.

It's a bag of floating poly rope and when I tug on that section connected to the canoe the bag falls free.

That black strap is big enough to loop over my shoulder and if you open the spring closure a little the line will play freely out. I tried smaller diameter rope but (with my limited testing) it seemed much more willing to get tangled up. That white shock cord that holds the yellow bag to the thwart will probably get lost in use, but it doesn't matter all that much. I managed to get 90 yards of line into the bag and probably that will be more that enough.

If something happens where the canoe is flat lost, if I can I'll get to shore with my 42DD pack, make a fire and work on plan B. I've decided on my pot for that situation;

It's got a wet suit insulated cover to hold in the heat longer, I was surprised: it really works.

The only fault I can find is that it won't set on it's bottom if empty and the lid is open. I can work around that.

Best Wishes, Rob

Back