• Happy National Nurses Day! 🛌👩‍⚕💉💊🎉

Reflector Ovens

Reaction score
Anybody tried any of the reflector ovens out there for sale? I see one by Old Scout products, one on Amazon, and one from Rutabaga from Sweden. Also one from Pole and Paddle but its more expensive. Don't feel like making one but an curious if anyone has a favorite that gets the job done, or any to stay away from and why. Just need one that will work for one or two paddlers.

Thanks, Mark

I was just talking about reflector ovens. This is the large one from Pole And Paddle making a couple of pizzas.
So if one was going to make one what feature would you want/avoid?

DSCN0650_zps00tncpib.jpg

I'm interested in making a smaller one.
Jim

I would want access from the back, a door that could be open with out moving the oven, that would come handy wile in us in the wall tent against the wood stove!! And free standing, ours need to be propped up at the back!

I love my ROs. I built my 1st one, I bought the small one, the P&P, and found 2 large ones at a consignment shop for $20, for the pair. We carry one on every trip.

"Don't leave home without a RO."

Thanks. Will check and see if any I am looking at open from the back. I notice some don't have a handle on top to allow an easy swivel to adjust what you are cooking. I would think that would be nice to have if the back doesn't open. At a minimum I want to be able to cook an 8' diameter pizza. I have been doing them in a skillet with Mama Mary (?) pizza crusts. It's just too hard to get everything hot and melted just right with a skillet and a lightweight lid. The lid won't hold enough heat without repeated heating over the fire and by then your crust is getting burned. I picture perfect pizza coming out of the RF. Not to mention bread items.

I'm a big fan of the Swedish reflector oven, fits in a blue barrel and is good for 1-2 people depending on what you're making. I've had to make two separate pizzas, one for each of us when that was the main course, but if I'm making cornbread or bannock its perfect for two or more.

Here is a plan from an old Popular Mechanics magazine. Just thought I'd share it, I don't like the open sides but food for thought.

IMG_2257_zpsaipx9ya9.jpg

IMG_2256_zpskquddjep.jpg

Jim

No Title

That is last summer, pizza for 5 using a Freden reflector oven and a Fry bake pan....

Attachments

• photo5756.jpg
    photo5756.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 2
  • photo5757.jpg
    photo5757.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 2
  • photo5758.jpg
    photo5758.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 2
  • photo5759.jpg
    photo5759.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 2
Boatman 53 posted this photo above. My understanding is that this oven is manufactured in Canada, possibly the Temagami region. Does anyone have information on how to contact the manufacturer, or where these can be purchased in Canada.

Thanks in advance.

This is the large one from Pole And Paddle making a couple of pizzas.

DSCN0650_zps00tncpib.jpg

I'm interested in making a smaller one.
Jim

Guilty as Charged

Recalling that trip, the fire pit was a pit and wouldn't work for a RO.

Last edited:
Many nice looking ROs out there. I like the idea of a folding model. Big enough for 2 racks would be nice. Dinner on the bottom shelf dessert on the top? Or maybe less is more? So far we've baked in the fry pan, but could be convinced to go all the way gourmet with the RO dessert options. The pics of campfire bakery looks really appetizing. I don't have access to metal shop tools so I'm not sure how I could possibly fabricate one.

Last edited:
Back