• Happy National Bean Counter Day! 🫘🔢🧮

Recent Upgrade

The logo picture appears to be Pog Lake in Algonquin Park in Canada. Very appropriate for MYCCR, but this site was . . . BORN IN THE USA!

(Hat tip to that great stroker, Bruce Springsteen.)
Just goes to show ya, you can spend alot of time and money to protect the site from outside harm, then this. Very poor attempt at humour, just what we don't need, The previous header picture was taken in Woodland Caribou Provincial Park, Ontario, CANADA!

Steady guys, steady; let's not do that whole 1812 thing all over again. I had family fighting on both sides of that frontier fight.
Everything is streamlined, so like a new car, I have to find all the right buttons. Glenn asks a good question (several), what is a subscription?
I'm looking forward to the customized site. Maybe by then I'll have found out how to tune the radio.

My Merican butt really looks forward to a Canadian canoe trip very soon. And some of my very favorite boats are made in Canada..Right Robin? And some favorite friends too.

Uhoh.. Technical difficulty. I have photos of Shearwater paddling a Canadian Boat in Barron Canyon and the owner of the boat is American.. But I see you direct upload now which is WONDERFUL.. but I have to find the right memory stick where the photos are.

Can you download as before from Photbucket.. Or is that going backwards?

The first rule in dealing with an 'Agent Provocateur' is not to be provoked. That's his game; don't play it.

R

ps: the photo above my name, I'm much more handsome than that. That fellow looks a little bland.

Last edited:
The first rule in dealing with an 'Agent Provocateur' is not to be provoked. That's his game; don't play it.

R

ps: the photo above my name, I'm much more handsome than that. That fellow looks a little bland.

Rob you can get rid of Mr. Hathead by clicking on it.. I think.. then substitue an avatar of your liking..

No Title

If you use photobucket, it works fine by pasting the link in the area where you type your reply, lets see how it turns out.
LaVerendrye circuit 61 with my son Dan

Then I added a picture from my computer alblum by using that little camera top left of the reply box, let's see how it worked.

No Title

Here is a picture using the "upload from your computer" option

Opps, Can't get it to work, yet:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Seeker, there are answers to some of the things you raised:

>I noticed a "like" button under posts.... but now i don't see it anymore.
Must have been removed. Hope it isn't too important.

>I noticed the order of posts is backwards. i like latest on top. can't seem to figure out where to go to fix that (should be my preference)
The old site had newest first, also.

>I noticed the print is smaller and WAY harder for my old eyes to read... the "flag" and "quote" buttons are almost invisible.
You might be able to enlarge the fonts by holding down the Ctrl key and moving your mouse's scroll button, assuming you have one of those. Otherwise your browser should have an enlarge/shrink function.

>I can't find "new posts", and "new topics" isn't the same thing...
Try "Today's Posts."

>I don't like that i have to find an click yet another button just to sign in on the home page...
If you click on the box "Remember me" it will remember you,

>i like that things are more secure.
>I'll get used to the new color scheme.
>Thanks, new guy, for helping fix it... thankless work. i couldn't do it without telling someone where to get off.
Same here.

There is a like button, fwiw, not a big fan of "likes", but it's there, bottom r/h corner.
The print will get bigger if you hit the A upper right hand corner of the post. That pens a bunch of options across the top of your new post. Just to the right of Font is a size box, this is #14, this is #18.
The site will look differant soon, so don't get to used to it, smile button, upper right of box;), next to A

Don't forget to give me a LIKE:rolleyes:

There is a like button, fwiw, not a big fan of "likes", but it's there, bottom r/h corner.
The print will get bigger if you hit the A upper right hand corner of the post. That pens a bunch of options across the top of your new post. Just to the right of Font is a size box, this is #14, this is #18.
The site will look differant soon, so don't get to used to it, smile button, upper right of box;), next to A

Don't forget to give me a LIKE:rolleyes:
NOpe.. I can :rolleyes: I can flag I can quote but I am not allowed to like anyone:mad:

Wow...I got on today and was totally lost. I may work at a college but I'm definitely NOT computer savvy. I guess I'll wait until the final revisions are complete to try and sort it all out. With my luck I'd finally begin to understand how something works and it will change; not unlike where I work (LOL).

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...Be well.

snapper

Glen, how about this one then?
It's a Canadian paddling on an American lake with the pic taken by this site's owner.
Just because it's a photo of me should have nothing to do with it! LOL
I'll bet Robin and YC have hundreds of similar photos.

fetch?photoid=12846.jpg

Shearwater, I was responding to your expressed preference regarding the logo photo and also the OP's specific mention of it. I expected some skepticism or surprise that I could identify the lake, but not thin skin.

Your photo is a very, very nice one -- from the exposure, to the composition and the mood. I especially like the figure of a solo paddler rather than a tandem, and would find it very appropriate as the site's logo photo. However, you yourself seem to be lusting after a wood/canvas canoe logo.

In all seriousness, I keep in mind that this site was founded by a New Yorker who was very fond of the Adirondacks. It has always been my impression that this site functions as a sort of an American version of the very successful MYCCR (and former ST). Both sites are of course open to any poster in the world, and most topics are not country specific, but MYCCR naturally emphasizes Canadian trips more so than American trips, and so far, this site has a nice balance in the other direction.

I think the logo photo is extremely important to any site, as I have expressed in other threads. I do not think the logo photo here should be a stock photo taken off the internet, but rather should be a personalized one taken by, or of, one or more of the members here. I expect many would agree with that, and perhaps that is the plan.

I'm personally going to keep asking general questions about functionality in the other thread I started. However, now that I have an understanding of what the "Like" button is, my opinion of it -- at the risk of sounding like an agent provocateur -- is that it is mind-numbingly teenybopper-ish. Moreover, it invites non-posting lurkers to try to shape discussions without contributing anything and without or expressing any view that can be critically evaluated or responded to. I'd vote to eliminate the Like function.

However, now that I have an understanding of what the "Like" button is, my opinion of it -- at the risk of sounding like an agent provocateur -- is that it is mind-numbingly teenybopper-ish.

I tend to agree with the above. I don't think we need to engage in a popularity contest. What might be good advice for someone can indeed be a minority opinion.

Is the "like" button the same as "flag"? I don't see it in the bottom of my screen... i think flag is for offensive posts, to notify the admins. The icon for a 'like' is usually a thumbs up or something, and i'm not seeing one.

I love the American content on this site, the trip reports show me places that I'm sure I will never get to. I'm thinking of Mike's epic report of the Canyon Fairies and Yellowcanoe's last one with all the old homesteads. Those are so beyond my experience of canoe trips, which usually involve rocks an trees, trees and rocks, and bugs. Keep up the good work, my southern neighbours!!!!

I miss the "New Posts" button. "Today's Posts" is not the same thing. I takes me to the beginning of each thread that has a new post, not to the new post itself. In some cases, that is 18 pages away from the new post.

Pete

I agree also Pete, and I miss the new members names and the total membership count. Eventually most of these things will get worked out, others might be the new norm, it takes time. Thanks for the input.

The subscriptions are driving me nuts. I would like an option to subscribe to NONE. I have the option of subscribe to all or members only.. Not none.. And is not all the same as members?
The issue is that every day I have some six or eight "messages" in the little red box next to my name.. They are not PM's they are notifications of a reply to a "subscribed" thread.

I still don't care for this particular V bulletin version but it appears I have to live with it or go paddling.

"I still don't care for this particular V bulletin version but it appears I have to live with it or go paddling."

To be honest, I had a long response written out to this sentence, but why go there.

Keep sending those issues, they will be addressed in do time. There is a plan, it takes time and time takes money, it's just that simple. So bear with the little issues, after all, it's just a website running on a shoe string, not that big a deal.
If it bothers you to the point of being frustrated and upset, take a break for a while, come back when we work things out.

The subscriptions are driving me nuts. I would like an option to subscribe to NONE. I have the option of subscribe to all or members only.. Not none.. And is not all the same as members?
The issue is that every day I have some six or eight "messages" in the little red box next to my name.. They are not PM's they are notifications of a reply to a "subscribed" thread.

Just delete all the threads you've been automatically subscribed to. Yes, you have to do it one-by-one, but it only took about five minutes for the 150 threads I was subscribed to.

Then, under User Settings > Notifications, uncheck all boxes and select no notifications/PM only.

I did those things and am not getting any messages or notifications. (That I know about!)

Back