• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Recent Upgrade

Robin and Waivej, This site's come a long way, nice improvements. Good work.

"I still don't care for this particular V bulletin version but it appears I have to live with it or go paddling."

To be honest, I had a long response written out to this sentence, but why go there.

Keep sending those issues, they will be addressed in do time. There is a plan, it takes time and time takes money, it's just that simple. So bear with the little issues, after all, it's just a website running on a shoe string, not that big a deal.
If it bothers you to the point of being frustrated and upset, take a break for a while, come back when we work things out.

I'm busy with the delete button today.. I have deleted photo files of lousy pictures from my computer and will now progress to following Glenn's advice. Good thing you didn't bother with the long reply Robin cause it is what it is. I do wish others would post trip outings..you all must be out there.

As one who frequently edits posts for word changes, grammar or spelling after making a post, I prefer to be able to edit for an hour or so before the "Edited" blurb appears on the bottom of the post. I thought the new site upgrade had allowed for something like that, but now there seems to be no "free edit" period.

I miss the "New Posts" button. "Today's Posts" is not the same thing. I takes me to the beginning of each thread that has a new post, not to the new post itself. In some cases, that is 18 pages away from the new post.

Pete

The "New Posts" button is just fine. If there's one page of posts, just press the "End" button on your computer and you'll go to the last one. If there are multiple pages, click on the last page and you'll go there. This is a better way than going to the last post in the thread, since one may have missed some that came before that one.

The "New Posts" button is just fine. If there's one page of posts, just press the "End" button on your computer and you'll go to the last one. If there are multiple pages, click on the last page and you'll go there. This is a better way than going to the last post in the thread, since one may have missed some that came before that one.

Using "Today's Posts" only works if I can remember which posts I had already read and if I'm willing to spend the time to find the new ones. It also only shows threads that have had new posts in the previous 24 hours, so it won't work to get caught up if I am gone for a few days.

I keep checking back, hoping for the return of the New Posts tab.

Pete

I am so frustrated right now. I tried to preview a TR I had written with lots of photos but the preview was long and skinny and there was no scroll bar to close it ..ie I couldn't get to the end.. The post button was non functional with the preview up but I couldn't get back to the preview. Hitting the back button erased everything.

45 minutes wasted. I think I will go patch my wood canvas canoe. That ought to be less frustrating

I kept getting a vague Site Error when I pasted in some pix. Warning.. If you do a TR don't hit the preview button unless you have saved the TR with the copy function

I know how maddening that is, YC. Another way to keep your stuff (at least the text) alive is to highlight it and press Ctrl-C, which copies it to your computer's paste buffer (aka "clipboard"). That way you can save it to a text editor (e.g., Word). It's a good habit to get into, one I wish I'd learned long before I did.

My version of Word is incompatible with this version of V bulletin. I still run Word 2007. The links to the pictures are what does not usually work if I incorporate them into the Word document.. Yes the text part would work but its the photos that don't.

I'm sorry to hear about the TR that you lost. I've lost work like that in the past and know how frustrating it can be.

I just ran a quick experiment to see about the "preview" issue. It's not really opening a new window so the browser scroll bar is the one that's in control. On my mouse, I use the "roller" to scroll and it seemed to work to get to the bottom. Though I didn't see scrollbars on the popup window so it confused me at first.

I also found that hitting "escape" closed the preview window. I wonder if this would help.

Anyway, please keep writing trip reports. I enjoy reading them.

-John

PS: How are you embedding images? I've seen the issue on other systems where you can't copy/paste over the images from Word. If they are coming from somewhere like an outside photo site, you might be able to use a regular HTML editor (or your email program) for example.

Using Word to make the text and then pasting to here and inserting the images from Photobucket. When I paste from Photobucket to Word directly then paste here most of the images don't show but their links remain.

I will probably write up a short TR tomorrow. No biggie.. Just the biggest Canadian beer canoe party of the year.

Its late tonight. We had a lovely paddle with osprey and eagle before sundown.

I'm having problems posting my most recent Outers report too. The preview works fine, but once I hit Post, it disappears. Any suggestions?

One problem with the Preview screen is that it is a lie. It can't properly "preview" a post because it is a window of much smaller dimensions than the actual post will be.

For example, I test pasted a very complex Word page full of basketball statistics into the reply box. When I went to Preview, all the formats and line endings were changed because the vBulletin software is trying to squash everything into a dimensionally smaller Preview box. Therefore, Preview gives me almost no idea how the statistics page will actually look when posted.

The Preview box (or screen) should have the same dimensions and same number of pixels as the eventual post box does. It shouldn't be a small pop-up box. That may work for superficial one-liner sites like Twitter or Facebook. It doesn't work for those of us inclined to be Tolstoy.

Just noticed something else that I would recommend.

I was logged out and went to the home page. There is a notice box for visitors with a link to this FAQ about how to use the site. This FAQ is very helpful, and is like the "user manual" I was asking about in another thread. I think this FAQ should appear on every page up above next to "Member List". Maybe it should be called "Site Help" instead of "FAQ".

On edit: I just noticed there's a link to this FAQ page in what is a "Help" link on the bottom right of each page.

Last edited:
One problem with the Preview screen is that it is a lie. It can't properly "preview" a post because it is a window of much smaller dimensions than the actual post will be.

For example, I test pasted a very complex Word page full of basketball statistics into the reply box. When I went to Preview, all the formats and line endings were changed because the vBulletin software is trying to squash everything into a dimensionally smaller Preview box. Therefore, Preview gives me almost no idea how the statistics page will actually look when posted.

The Preview box (or screen) should have the same dimensions and same number of pixels as the eventual post box does. It shouldn't be a small pop-up box. That may work for superficial one-liner sites like Twitter or Facebook. It doesn't work for those of us inclined to be Tolstoy.

You can use the Preview function to see if your text has been recorded by the website. Go ahead and post, and if you don't like the way it looks you can edit it. No problem.

Perhaps more to the point, modern Web-based Tolstoys would be well-advised to consider whether their long posts are likely to be read.

Back