• Happy Star Wars Day! 🌇🚶🏼‍,👑👊🏼🔙

Re: Account canoetripping.net Reached Monthly Allowed Executions

Reaction score
Re: Account canoetripping.net Reached Monthly Allowed Executions

Once again the site has almost reached it's monthly allowance. We are working with the company that hosts the site to try and fix the problem. The easy solution is to just increase the sites monthly allowance, but that would raise the monthly fee from $15 to $80. Right now I'm paying the IT guy $25 hour to fix the problem, but it appears that in the end I will have to just buy the bigger monthly plan.

There is a chance the site will go down before the end of the month. Hopefully not, but if it does, we will work at getting back on line asap.
Thanks

Robin - Thanks for the heads up. Let us know what you need so we can help you out if you need us. As always, thanks for what you do to keep this site alive and functioning. It's a wonderful source of information and camaraderie.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Robin, if 12 of us sent you 80 bucks, the year is covered. Not that I want to re-open a funding drive for you right now, but I'm in for that. So only 11 other people needed now.

Here's a notice I recently received:

Dear Robin Lauer,

We would like to inform you that your account canoetripping.net has consumed 90% of the monthly quota of 800000 program and script executions. Please note that once you hit 100% of the allowed monthly executions, your web service will be limited for the calendar month. The web service limit means you might be having problems accessing your website.

How to lower resource usage

For your convenience, we have opened a report on the monthly number of executions in your User area, from where you can navigate to optimize your resource usage.

So my IT guy went to work and streamlined as much as he could. Google BOTS are the real culprit here from what I understand and not easy to control.
I'm not sure if paying him every month is still cheaper than just upgrading, he will let me know soon I guess when I get his bill.
Anyway, the funds are here to go with the $80 a month plan, but there will be another fund raiser this fall (or new year) to keep the site up long term. The folks have been so generous, it should be easy enough to acquire the necessary funds needed.
I'll keep everyone informed as to how the situation works out.

Last edited:
You know you can count on me Robin. I'll help however I can.
Jim

EDIT: Hey Robin, Jims son here. He told me about your bot predicament. If your IT guy hasn't already tried this, maybe give it a shot to get rid of or at least reduce traffic from bots. There is a text file called "robots.txt" that you can make and put into the server files of the website. Depending on the instructions in the text file, bots may be disallowed from going onto the site. Here is some information, http://www.robotstxt.org but a Google search for robots.txt will yield a lot of information as well.

Last edited:
I don't understand the monthly quota issues. However, I would think most sites that provide thoughtful information on a subject would want search engine bots to be finding and indexing the site content, so that people everywhere can find the site and its information with searches.

No need for money now, but Thanks for all the generous offers, public and private.

Glenn said: I would think most sites that provide thoughtful information on a subject would want search engine bots to be finding and indexing the site content, so that people everywhere can find the site and its information with searches

That's a good point Glenn. Maybe you would like to run a fund raiser every year to get the funds to supply people everywhere with the information on this site. I'm not trying to be a wisenheimer, but really, who cares about "people everywhere" if I have to find that extra money every month. I'd rather have it easy as far as this site goes and let them get their info from P.Nett (they run adds and charge for classified with one picture)

90% of the monthly quota of 800000 program and script executions.

there will be another fund raiser this fall (or new year) to keep the site up long term. The folks have been so generous, it should be easy enough to acquire the necessary funds needed.

800000whatwhatthe? All that stuff would be gibberish to me. Robin, thank you again for stepping up to this task.

I like things just the way they are on Canoe Tripping. No ads, so no need for bolstering page views or unique visitor stats. I can usually ignore the ads on other sites, but I don’t need to glimpse the Pelican logo on a paddling site or see Google ads pop up because my wife was searching online for a new refrigerator. Or lingerie.

I like the size of this community and feel as if I “know” everyone here, different as we may be in our preferences and peccadilloes.

That we remain a small and focused community, with no one asking “Which canoe should I buy for a family of 4 for lake paddling and class IV whitewater” nonsense over and over again is refreshing. Is small is viable, or is controlling growth on a popular site is even possible?

I don’t know bupkiss about how search engine BOTS work, but assume the BOT visits are a function of Canoe Tripping’s easily apparent wealth of expertise and knowledge , shared in detail and process photographed by trippers, builders and backyard tinkerers.

There are no armchair experts offering bad advice about something they have never actually done on CT, and if I were Googling some generic canoe question I’d choose the link to the civil, informative and friendly discussion I found here. Screwed by our own success we are.

Like many I am happy to contribute financially to the support of CT, whether that is sending Robin a check or participating in a raffle. I’m sure the Ripster Raffle was additional headache for Robin to oversee, but from Rippy’s knife making posts and photos, to the massive amount joshing Memaquay withstood with a smile, those were fun threads that brought out some of CT’s best nature.

Perhaps there is a community way to take the onus of a raffle type fundraiser off Robin this fall when the coffers need replenishing; some twisted combo of penny social silent Dutch auction action something something. ???

I would happily contribute some handcrafted item, a custom Fire-in-a-can or an unfinished stick and stone piece, and undertake whatever the awarding, shipping, transport and etc hurdles might entail.

Of course, raffles and contests are probably high on a search engine’s most requested queries, but it would be fun to see what a half dozen CT’ers might craft as auction items. Could be Ripster times 6.

Well said Mike and co. The Rippy knife build chronicles will be impossible to beat, but another fund drive/raffle can be something to look forward to. Multiple door (and booby) prizes revealed over several posts culminating in the grand prize winning draw...Willing prize donators needn't ship their stuff to Robin only to have it mailed again; they can just mail them directly to the winners as drawn.
Anyway, let's enjoy the summer until the next fund drive comes round again. Thanks for the heads up Robin.

I agree with everything you say Mike. I like our little corner of the internet, but I also like that the useful info on this site is available to the non participating public. It's a great thing that anyone is able to find the site and learn from the experts. It's great that Charlie posts here with his insider knowledge, all the cedar strip and beyond builders, the cedar canvas knowledge is approaching WCHA status, and all the other great contributions. I think there's a lot of non posting guests that read the forum as much as we do, and I noticed during the fundraiser we got some of those guests to become members and support the site. As with everyone else, I'm looking forward to the next fund drive and I'll happily pay a little extra so that the knowledge we have here is open for anyone to find and learn. There's a lot of us now that weren't around for the solo tripping forum and we all stumbled in from the search engines.

Do what you think is best Robin, you've done a stellar job so far, but I don't want us to be part of some elitist club. I think the site strikes a beautiful balance right now.

Mike, I have no problem with lingerie ads. Maybe we can get @Victoria'sSecret to sponser us. We'll drive in some lingerie loving lady canoests instead the current crop of jovial old farts and obsessive young dorks. 😁

So I went ahead and upgraded to unlimited quota today. It turned out to be $72 a month if you pay for 6 months in advance. No more shut downs and Google can send all the bots they want...;)

Mike, I have no problem with lingerie ads. Maybe we can get @Victoria'sSecret to sponser us. We'll drive in some lingerie loving lady canoests instead the current crop of jovial old farts and obsessive young dorks. 😁

I'm pretty sure I saw a Victoria's Secret catalogue once and some of the clothing appeared to have floatation built in.

On another forum at about Christmas time we paid it forward sending gear no longer wanted but hard to sell to a recipient who could use it.
Suggest we do that here and recipients donate some percentage of what the free to them item is worth to the care and feeding if this site

On another forum at about Christmas time we paid it forward sending gear no longer wanted but hard to sell to a recipient who could use it.
Suggest we do that here and recipients donate some percentage of what the free to them item is worth to the care and feeding if this site

After the "how many canoes do you own?" thread, I am apparently in need. Please send all extra boats my way! I'll find them a good home.

I'm outa here for a while(trips) but something odd is going on. I just updated the OS to Windows 10.. When I hit the home page here it goes to canoetripping.com which is a domain that a is not this one and b is for sale.

No idea what is up.. every once in a while I need the home page..
How do I get to it..

Plenty of time.. Trip is 3 weeks long.

When I click the Home link or the site name, I get "404 Not Found" and "The requested URL /forums was not found on this server." I also recently upgraded to Windows 10.

Back to the topic, ads would be acceptable to me. Though I effectively block ads on most sites with Adblock Plus and Ghostery, I leave the ads on for sites I want to get ad income, and would do that here. I was gone from this site for about a year, but would participate in a fund drive if I'm around.

A lot of people share a lot of knowledge on this site, and take a lot of time researching, writing, photographing and videoing subjects of interest. So I'm glad that the accumulated knowledge can stay here as searchable resource for the paddlers who come after us.

To try and block some of the Google BOTS, settings where adjusted. They now need to be brought back up to speed to allow the search engines to work. It might take a few days.

Back