• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

​Ranger interactions – stories good or bad

Best ranger story... actually conservation officer here in Ontario since they enforce fish and wildlife regs... happened at Achray, Grand lake, Algonquin Park, after Thanksgiving when the access road is gated and signed road closed. A one-km port along the road is necessary to get to the access, this in theory prevents illegal access esp by poachers.

I was loading up preparing to port when two COs appeared and told me, heck, you can drive right to the lake and drive out when you've finished the trip. They were happy that I paid the $$$ for the interior permit (others don't it seems) and maybe they used the money to buy beer while waiting to bust Dolon Rucklehouse and the other bush-hardened poachers to show up bristling with their firearms.

While I was loading up at the water's edge, a younger CO appeared demanding to know why I hadn't parked at the gate. I explained that the other two gave permission but he didn't believe me. He was hard-edged while the first two were easy. But eventually he believed my story and I went on my way... the other COs were probably watching all this through binoculars and having a great time with the new guy.

Love that Raquette Falls Ranger. Ask him about the college group that headed up the cold river to Duck Hole in C4s. They intended to take out in Long Lake.

I commiserate with Uncle. He got the blunt end of bureaucracy and the sharp end of the shaft. Two hundred and eighty bucks worth.
I don't remember ever having met any uniforms out on the lakes. My attitude is such that I see them as police, and am often thinking "Where are they when I want one?" Sure would be nice if there were no need for them, but as we all know, human beans being as we are, there'll always be a need for them.
And while I'm being all rosy and cozy, I've had my attitude adjusted, after being mildly schooled for it, and have come to the conclusion that RVers are people too. Someday I too might become one of those; but not just yet.

ps I have been visited by police a number of times. But that's another story for another time.

Never had a bad experience with a Ranger on any of my trips but never had any go out of their way either 2 of my eagle scouts are now Rangers one at Acadia and one at some Army Corp land in VT.

Love that Raquette Falls Ranger. Ask him about the college group that headed up the cold river to Duck Hole in C4s. They intended to take out in Long Lake.
That would be Gary V., not technically a full-fledged ranger, but he is the caretaker assigned the ranger cabin at the bottom of Raquette Falls. Always a good and friendly guy all around.

Last edited:
There was that time the ranger caught me holding a professional looking camera, pointing at a young lady in some advanced state of undress. I can't imagine why the ranger was so infuriated with our enjoyment of the park.

ps I have been visited by police a number of times. But that's another story for another time.

Hahaha...yes me too Brad. I have a hazy memory of long ago saying to a neighbour who was threatening to call the cops....." yeah? well tell em to bring guns, lotsa guns ". danged if they didnt take that to heart...I have never seen so many guns. Geeeze.

Christy

Isky, you are clearly the badass here. I'll try not to sass you. I on the other hand am not. I've only had the good fortune to hang with the wrong crowd, in the wrong places, all at the wrong time. dang I miss those days.
And the rest of the stories will have to wait for our next Gtown sinners smorgasbord.

On the plus side for rangers...I've had the pleasure of knowing every DEC forest ranger who has worked at Raquette Falls in the Adirondacks since Mike Frenette was in residence back in the 1980's. Each of these individuals are stand-up people who have gone out of their way to help folks. If we go to a thread of positive ranger stories I'd definitely have some to share.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

I've only had positive interactions. Even when I've done something stupid. When very young I Iit a fire in Grand Canyon National Park which got under a fallen tree. I dug at it for hours trying to make sure it wasn't travelling and finally figured I had to go to the Ranger Station and get some help. Needless to say they weren't happy. I was scolded. And scolded. And then marched back out to the site. And then scolded some more. But they were very polite.

More recently my son and I decided last minute do some winter camping and set up in conservation lands 20 minutes outside of town. It being February I figured who'd know, and what's the harm. Sure enough though, 9am the next morning we heard voices and two conservation officer were tramping through the woods towards us. First thing they did was ask for my driver's licence. Then they marched us 15 minutes back out to the car. They were polite the whole time but I kept thinking to myself ... I'm 50 years old. I'm 50 years old. I'm 50 years old. And I'm getting marched out of the woods like a guilty teen-ager ... harrumph.

Worst...

I think I told this story here before. A bunch of paddling acquaintances have met every spring for several years to camp and run a couple of high mountain creeks about three hours from here. We were in the midst of shuttle operations when accosted by a lady Forest ranger who demanded to see a permit (which we were technically not required to have). The individual that she singled out to talk to apparently didn't satisfy her authoritative needs, and decided that we needed some policing. Shortly after returning to camp, we were invaded by at team of sheriff's deputies in tactical gear and K9 unit. She had called for extensive backup to deal with a bunch of 50-something hoodlums with canoes. The LEOs got a laugh out of it, and had a nice visit. The doggy was sweet. I bet she has to answer more questions if she calls them again.

Best...

Remember that last US "government shutdown"? My brother was visiting from out of state at the time, and we decided it would be a good idea to go paddle on the local lake, which happens to be part of a federal game refuge. We had forgotten all about the shutdown, until we pulled up to the parking area and saw that the entrance was spanned with yellow tape. We left, but then down the road a bit, our old civil disobedience spirit kicked in. I mentioned that we had passed a parking spot that was not within the boundary of the refuge, and we could just carry the canoe over the guard rail with a short walk to the water there. My brother was game, so we went back and did just that - thinking we were quite clever.

We had a great time, being the only people on the lake, with all the wildlife. Then, as we paddled back to our put-in, we saw two FWS officers in uniform waiting for us, complete with tasers and handguns (holstered, thankfully). They informed us that the lake was closed, due to the government shutdown. I asked "how do you close a lake"? I thought that was a reasonable and inoffensive question, but then my brother asked "if the government is shut down, what are you two doing here"? They paused and looked at each other, and I thought my bro had maybe just pushed the wrong button - but then one of them broke out a laugh and said "That's a good question. We don't even know if we're getting paid. We were just told to be here and keep people out."

Things got quite light-hearted after that, as we discussed the logistics of guarding all the entry points with only two officers and they admired the Malecite. It was a real friendly visit. I think we made their day, and they sure made ours.

Very few ranger interactions over the years. The only one I can recall was a few years ago on the Olympic Peninsula. I generally try to avoid crowded areas and thought if we went to the beach before sunrise to catch the low tide we could skip most of the crowd and get in a nice walk. Compared to how busy it is later in the day this kind of worked but there were still a lot of people. Dogs are not allowed on this stretch of beach with many signs stating as much so I left Sadie in the car.

On the way out there was a ranger, probably in his 50's, carrying a briefcase walking the same way along the beach. After about 1 1/2 miles he stopped, opened the briefcase, and spent a couple hours answering everyone's questions about the area and aquatic life. His briefcase was full of pages showing pictures of the different organisms and information about them. People kept strolling by with dogs, both on and off leashes, and he nicely told them no dogs were allowed on the beach.

When we were done and starting to walk back to the car so was he. I watched him time after time approach people with dogs, who couldn't possibly have missed all the signs, and politely tell them with a smile that dogs weren't allowed on the beach. I don't remember any threats or orders to return to the car immediately. Some people have a way of telling you you're doing something wrong without it sounding rude or preachy. He had that down to an art. It's something I lack no matter how hard I try. I imagine he goes through this every day and Iwouldn't have blamed him for ticketing every dog owner he saw, even I was a little frustrated with them. While he was walking he looked to be truly happy to be where he was doing what he was doing and didn't let the offenders get under his skin. Quite a guy. I'd of been have pissed off and wanting to wring their necks, which goes back to why I try and avoid crowded areas.

Alan

Back in 06 a friend and I decided to try to paddle from the Baker River to the Pemi and to the headwaters of the Merrimack. I knew there was a dam downstream and that it was all Federal land now from 9/11 and no camping but we were going to try to bootleg camp. Not to happen. As we hit the slackwater I saw a motor boat downstream. We pulled over and I walked up a path to the road, abandoned town from the flood of 38, and there's a nice white pickup truck with a large man in uniform leaning against the truck, Army Corp of Engineers in charge of security for the area as I was informed. Asked about where we were going and he politely suggested/informed that we'd have to make the dam as camping just ain't allowed. I was also politely informed that someone would be checking to see when we pulled into the dang for the portage up the hill. I told him I appreciated the information and we shook hands he offering me a safe paddle. We had 9 miles to go with the sun setting. Ended up pulling up to the dam in the dark and yes someone did check to see whether we made it. Nice enough guy and polite but was able to make his point with his tone of voice, not loud, stern, demanding just unquestioning. Made for a long night and car shuttle.

That would be Gary V., not technically a full-fledged ranger, but he is the caretaker assigned the ranger cabin at the bottom of Raquette Falls. Always a good and friendly guy all around.

Gary probably doesn't think of it like this, but he is really making his job MUCH easier and MUCH safer. He likely doesn't have to go out to save folks who have miscalculated because he gives them just enough of a boost to make it. And he doesn't have to go out in storms or at night for the same reason. So he does well by doing good.

I feel like I posted a Ranger rant and went incommunicado for weeks without acknowledging the other 99% of Ranger interactions.

When I have been a bad boy, and knowingly violated some inane rule or regulation, I fess up immediately and offer an explanation of circumstance and decisions. When I have inadvertently broken some rule I look sheepish, kick my insole and wait for the end of the lecture and the welcome words “I could give you a $70 ticket, but. . . . .”

I have never been fined by a Ranger. Knock wood.

The best Ranger interactions have often been in Nat’l Forest offices while stopping to pick up a forest map showing the dirt roads. That has usually involved chatting up the Rangers, establishing my bona fides and a rapport, and eliciting information about where to backcountry camp with the truck.

Some of the most memorable recommendations:

Stuff high in the Manti la Salle Mountains near Arches NP. From baking in the desert sun to aspen trees, snow fields and small lakes/ponds in a few hours drive. Whoda thunk it.

Crystal clear ponds and rock pools in Dixie Nat’l Forest just outside Bryce Canyon NP. Sweet!.

Even the Nat’l Park staff, when off season and unharried, can be a font of information. The Rangers at Crater Lake NP, hearing about where I’d been, what I was doing and where I was headed gave me Waldo Lake, which is a not to be missed camping and paddling place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waldo_Lake

I can not list or even recall all of the special or hidden places Ranger staff has recommended over the years, but I could pick overly officious 1%er’s out of a line up even today.

Picture this: A small group of high school kids gets a hold of a case of beer, and brings it late in the night to a remote picnic area in a National Park to enjoy it. They're quiet, but not quiet enough. A couple cans into their night, a big white Dodge Ram pulls into the picnic area. It has government plates. Oh oh! The window rolls down and a flashlight illuminates the scene: 4 kids, an open case of beer, a few empties, and sheepish grins. The guy behind the lights asks if they know the picnic area is closed. "Sorry, we thought it's be OK." The guy behind the light then asks if any one of them has an ID proving they are of legal age. More looks and sheepish grins. The guy behind the light says, "Well, I'll let you go ahead and finish the beers that you have in your hand. Take your time and enjoy them, and then clear out. Don't leave any of the empties behind. But I can't let you keep the rest of that case. How about one of you load it into the back seat here."

They do. There's still most of 3 six packs in there. Miller Lite as I recall.

I was the "guy behind the light", but I wasn't a ranger...I was just an intern working for the park service and staying in a house at a research facility, and we needed beer. None of us was even of drinking age. So it was a successful raid.

I truthfully still feel real bad about doing that.

-rs

Back