• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Quetico 11 day solo trip video

Reaction score
I did an 11 day trip to Quetico Provincial Park in northern Ontario for a solo canoe trip in 2016. This trip was on the heels of another longer trip south of the border, so I decided to take it somewhat easy, not travelling too far each day. I paddled a figure 8 loop starting at Stanton Bay on Pickerel Lake travelling south venturing as far as Sark Lake. I made my way back north eventually retracing a little of my route in, and ended the trip at Nym Lake. There will be 4 parts to this video series, published as time permits.

Enjoy! Mark

Most Excellent Mark !

Marking of the campsites on the map, to rate the quality of the campsites ?

So relaxing Thanks !

Oh that stripper sure looked fine !

Awesome. I was also there in 2016. We passed through some of the same lakes. Thanks for bringing back those memories and sharing yours.

In part 2 of the Quetico series I move south from McDougall Lake through a number of beautiful lakes and portages and end up at Cutty Lake. I spend a couple nights there, getting a little rain and having some pretty good fishing. From there, I travel further south to Sark Lake for night 6.

Enjoy! Mark

Snappers like that are common here in Manitoba. Rarely can a stringer be left soaking. On one lake someone had built a rock cage on the edge of the island we were on for keeping the fish in due to 2 giant snappers roaming around the island. Unfortunately I no longer have the photos due to hard drive crashes.

Karin

Years ago I was fishing from my canoe. I was bringing a nice sized bass to the boat and was about to reach down to lip the bass. There was a voice in the back of my head that said, "DON"T do it!" I looked down and there was a snapping turtle hanging just below the surface next to my canoe. I have no idea if it had been following me around or it had just arrived. Either way, you could see the neck reaching out for the fish. I've always been glad I listened to that inner voice.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper (who was named after a snapping turtle when only 4 days old)

Great one Mark ! Love the hat !

You are making that fishing look Too easy !

We had a big Snapper swim up to our canoe once, as we passed a campsite. Glad we didn't have a stringer of fish, for him to latch onto ! that might have tipped us !

Beautiful video and pics !

Thanks !

These are awesome. Keep sharing. Cool showing your route on the map. Curious how you animate those lines for the video.

It was my first experience with a snapping turtle. The fish was only out there for 20 minutes or so. I suppose that turtle had learned to hang near that campsite over the years.

Mark

Great one Mark ! Love the hat !

You are making that fishing look Too easy !

We had a big Snapper swim up to our canoe once, as we passed a campsite. Glad we didn't have a stringer of fish, for him to latch onto ! that might have tipped us !

Beautiful video and pics !

Thanks !

Thanks, it's a homemade hat from the bin of fleece scraps. If I make fishing look easy, then the fishing is really easy.

Mark

These are awesome. Keep sharing. Cool showing your route on the map. Curious how you animate those lines for the video.

There is a way in my editing software to do a "wipe" transition from one picture to another, and the ability to control the direction and speed. I hope that makes sense.

Mark

I just revisited Mark's awesome 11 day solo to the Quetico.

It's a Friday night, and it was a great way to spend it !
Thanks Mark ! The kind of trip we all dream about !

Here is the link if some want to enjoy as I did !

Oh, there are now 4 parts, incase you missed the last one as I did.

Thanks again Mark !

Last edited:
Back