• Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare (1564-1616)! 2️⃣🅱️, 🚫2️⃣🅱️

Putting a Quebec trip together; anyone have links to water temps?

Reaction score
In the states, it is pretty easy to find up to date water temps through the USGS site (water levels, too).
Is there a Canadian equivalent? Either my google skills stink (quite possible), or I'm just looking in the wrong places.

Specifically, looking for Manicouagan info.

Thanks!

I haven't paddled the reservoir but I have dipped my hands in (early July). I can't say what the exact temperature was but I would rate it as "normal". By that I mean if you want to go for a quick dip you would be fine but spending an hour or so in the water would get you very chilled.

Ice is usually gone by June 1st so for July/Aug paddling there would be lots of time to warm up at least the upper layers.

It's a long drive from Virginia but in reality Manicouagan isn't very far north (51.5°) and air temps are usually very warm in Summer.

Water levels of the general area are pretty easy to find, google wateroffice Canada.
As far as temps go, my ”close“ source at environment Canada tells me there is no such data available for the general public.

Last edited:
Since its a reservoir I expect a thermocline.. Wateroffice has no data for Manicougan. Expect to swim just briefly. The water levels depend on drawdown demand. Either there is more shoreline or there isn't. It's been a trip I have long wanted to do.

Manicouagan is about at the same latitude as Lac Mistassini and above Lac St. Jean. Here are the annual water temperature variations for Lac St. Jean. I would not be surprised if the reservoir is much colder, as its mean depth is 85 meters and Lac St Jean's mean depth is 11 meters.

That been said, I can remember swimming in the reservoir on my way to the Trans Labrador Highway in 1993. Cannot remember how cold it was.lol.

I think you will find the following link interesting.

https://seatemperature.info/lake-saint-jean-water-temperature.html

There are a few trip reports available on CCR.

G.

Back