• Happy National Bean Counter Day! 🫘🔢🧮

Preferred tripping style ?

Reaction score
How we travel, camp, and our activities define our tripping style and the style impacts the conversation here. What is your preferred style?

Group solo is mine. A group of us travel and camp together but are mostly self-sufficient. There is little or no common food or equipment we each carry what we want. Sharing occurs but is not planned or necessary. This allows us to enjoy the company of others without being dependent. We single portage and move camp often. I enjoy camp routine and exploring while others enjoy fishing, photography, reading, music, games, and swimming.

Overnight flatwater paddling with groups have been very rare for me for at least 20 years, because canoe tripping groups are increasingly rare other than a few for repetitive local stuff. When I do paddle with a group, I strongly prefer what you call group solo, bringing and preparing my own food and all my own gear. Self-sufficient. I care almost nothing for camp chores, and even less for group camp chores.

20 to 40 years ago I did a lot of paddling and camping with whitewater clubs, usually from base camps. These often were structured as group endeavors by the trip leaders, and usually had a few members who fancied themselves as wilderness chefs and loved to group cook, so I went along minimally with that communist ethos. To get out of the job as group pot washer, I managed to manipulate my way into being the campfire starter, stoker and put-outer.

A lot of people really want to gab, drink, fish or play amateur bushcrafter more than they want to paddle. I don't engage much in any of those activities -- just a paddler, thank you -- so I never feel entirely simpatico with such groups, especially if they are strangers.

Solo or just with hubby. I have done some group trips fifteen or twenty years ago but meals were the issue. Someone always failed to hold up their end of meal planning/cooking. Oddly it was always the person that insisted they were "expert" and it wasn't the same person.. I have never done a trip with a group of strangers.

Some of us from here have had group get togethers. The wind always howls with the rain. But the campfire company is good.

Same here Glen.
The only one I enjoy paddling with is my wife Nanci since she enjoys the same exploring that I like while others just want to gab and scare all the wild life for miles away. We paddle silently and only talk when we must

Jack L

I'm usually solo (moving camp every day) except for big remote trips where there are four of us (2 boats) for safety and to share flight expenses (northern Canada, Alaska). If my daughter could figure out some way to retire at 30 I'd be more likely to do more tandem trips.

Tandem with a son or solo. I have done a few tandem trips with friends. Would be rare that I would trip with more. Never base camped. Have laid over for a second night.

I, and my Wife are fans of Group Solos.
It's a Win Win . See doesn't worry as much, and I enjoy the comradery.
Oh, my Wife doesn't like water, or camping !

Tandem or group tripping, sure makes portaging a lot easier.

Jim

Some of us from here have had group get togethers. The wind always howls with the rain. But the campfire company is good.

Yes, I have fond memories from a few group get togethers with Yellowcanoe and others here. Always good times and the evening campfire's where special.

I am pretty much a solo tripper these days, I like the flexability, and now that my portaging days are behind me I have to be careful of the routes I choose and how long I can stay out there.

Some of my favorite trips where with my friend Gerald (a member here), we camped together but he left early in the morning and I stayed in camp for breakfast. We would agree upon a route, then meet up in the evening, Gerald always picked the nicest campsites. I liked that style of tripping.

I used to hunt around for groups - could not find anyone that wanted go for more than a day paddle. So - I solo when I trip. Over the years I have meet many in the solo community, I have on occasion tripped with other solo canoeists. I have a 2 day trip down the Wisconsin River coming up in Early December, canvas tents and wood stoves, no portage. Should be about 4 solo paddlers.

Most often, a trip consists of myself and my dog Jake.

I started with friends and group tripping, suddenly switched to immediate family group tripping, and finally empty nester she and me tandem only tripping. They've all been good. Never any serious issues ever. I'm glad and grateful to have been there and done that.
My wife has lost her canoe tripping mojo, but a few of the adult children have rediscovered theirs. I tend to plan, plan, plan, and then make it up as I go along so there's no telling what canoeing configuration may come next.

I do not get to trip that often. Once maybe twice a year. Here in the next couple weeks I am going on my annual river trip with my daughter. This year I am taking my son also. Paddling and general outdoors is not his thing but he asked to go this year and I am will not hold anyone back from that. Also one of the same dads from last year is going with his daughter again and his son is coming this year. I have invited another dad and son combo and we will see if they come. So I guess my style is group tripping. Never have been alone on and overnight trip. I think I would enjoy it, but I think I like bringing new people out and showing them the rivers, fishing, camping and sleeping under the stars. I like cooking and don't mind planning out the trips.

I tend to plan, plan, plan, and then make it up as I go along so there's no telling what canoeing configuration may come next.
I can relate to that. I usually make plans, tell a few friends and see who’s up for it. I usually end up solo and that’s fine with me. One or two group trips a year is enough. The older I get, the more I enjoy my own company best.

Bob

Arctic trips with others (2 to 3 canoes for sharing the expense reasons), a couple of 30 day trips with a tandem canoe, mostly with the wife. Other than that always solo or on occasion 2 solo canoes and the great company of Robin and a while back with Ted. I also loved the solo canoe get together we had in La Vérendrye many years ago.
Gerald

Mostly solo. At work I have to use (and improve) my "interpersonal" skills every day. That's why I enjoy solotripping. Years ago my preferred tripping partner quit paddling due to health issues. I never found anybody to "replace" him. Sometimes my daughter joins me, but she has a lot of other interests.

Greetings from Switzerland
André

Tandem, with my wife Karen. We like quiet, remote places. Just us makes it easier to be flexible. No competing agendas. We did take a trip this year with our younger son and his fiancé though, that was stellar! I would like to take more trips in the future with our kids.

I'm less experienced than many here but I've enjoyed every type of trip I've been on -- truly solo, solo with my dog, tandem with a friend, and in random groups of 6-12. Each style has advantages and disadvantages. I think I've been very lucky that on the three random group trips I've been on, there was no one who got under my skin. I could see how one bad apple could easily turn a group trip into a nightmare. I think tandem with a friend is probably my favorite way to trip.

I have developed a traveling style with my usual canoeing pal which is kind of unique. Our canoeing and camping gear has, over the years, become embarrassingly identical. A kevlar MR Explorer, two Hayden poles clipped against the inwale, One a full length, the other a two piece for added utility around camp. A mast step and thwart is located behind the stern seat, as the canoe is paddled solo from the bow seat. A pole is used for a mast. The sail is a generously sized Snark sail, attached to a 10 foot piece of an old aluminum pole. The leeboard is attached to the side of the boat, bolted through the hull and attached to a gusseted bracket at the center thwart. A paddle is used for ruddering. A five gallon bucket with screw top for quick access during the day and a 115 liter Sealine Propack for all the camping gear. Also a small drybag on board for raingear etc. Portaging is a two trip affair, first the canoe with poles and a couple other items lashed in, and the second with Propack on the back, paddles tied to it, small dry bag perched on that, and the 5 gallon bucket in hand. Oh, and I forgot the 16 pound portage cart in the other hand.

Considering we do loop trips with many days of poling upstream, multi-mile portages using the boat cart, and often sailing across lakes, the universe of potential canoe partners is pretty slim. And my wife doesn't like it when I go alone. So I usually travel in a group of two. On the other hand, I'm paddling across Scotland next summer with the whole family on a guided trip.

My Tripping Style, although I have only gone twice, is as a Solo.
Even when I am with a friend or two.
I have spent a lot of time and money going as light as possible from a backpacking background
and I carry all my own stuff. I don't care what anyone else carries as long as I don't have to carry
any of it. I cook what I want or can stand to eat and it will be lightweight.
I'm 75 and I want to keep on doing this and the way to do that is to not carry anything that
I don't NEED. Especially one of those dumbass blue barrels.
Larry

I must admit that I also have been looking at alternate ways to the blue barrel. They don't take up space efficiently in the canoe and are uncomfy to carry. As I get older, there is less flesh on the bones to buffer that hard plastic when portaging.
G.

Back