• Happy National Telephone Day! šŸ””ā˜ŽļøšŸ“±šŸ“¶

Preferred tripping style ?

OK. The 60L Blue Barrel weighs 7lb. The Harness weighs 2-3/4lb.
Total - 9-3/4lbs. That is based on the "claimed" weights of each.
So at the end of the trip you are carrying probably 10lbs or more
(with trash) of Empty Space.
Does that seem logical when you can carry an Ursack that is a LOT
lighter and folds up to a small package ?
I've been using different varieties of Ursacks since the mid 90's
for backpacking and now Canoe Tripping. Tie it to a tree away
from camp and yer good to go.
Larry

I don't find dissing other people's styles helpful. Yes a barrel IS practical . There are places where you cannot hang. And I do trip there. The Arctic and the beaches of the Everglades. There is nothing to hang from or tie to. On our work trips in Wabakimi which were several weeks long with fly in resupply we never had crushed food or wet food. The barrels make perfect sense to me.
I am not on your trip and you not on mine.

Wooden Wannigans are not light either. But they continue to be used for good reason.

After 30 years of taking bunches of high school kids on trips, I prefer solo. My buddy often comes with me, but we both travel solo and look after our own needs.

Seems to be two threads here now. On the initial thread, Kathleen and I much prefer to trip completely by ourselves. We have the same aspirations and hopes for the trip. We virtually never disagree, and we love being out there together.

When we first began tripping, we used three large, canvas, Duluth style packs. They were Super Sport, bought in Vancouver. Eventually people said that we should get a blue barrel. ā€œYouā€™ll never look back.ā€ We didnā€™t want to, though. We liked our canvas packs, with multiple pockets. Also liked how they became smaller during the trip, and how they could be squished into tight spaces in the canoe. Not so with blue barrels.

Eventually, one of our canvas packs wore out, and we replaced it with a 60l blue barrel. Stuff doesnā€™t get crushed in the blue barrel, but it generally didnā€™t in the canvas packs either. Stuff doesnā€™t get wet in the blue barrel, but it generally didnā€™t in the canvas packs either, as we always used double garbage bags to waterproof smaller bundles of sleeping bags, food and clothing.

All that being said, we have been satisfied with the blue barrel. It was useful to easily transfer stuff from the remaining two canvas packs when space became available In the blue barrel. We have never had to portage the blue barrel, though, Since weā€™ve owned it, we have done three weeks on Great Slave Lake. No portaging. Also 2.5 weeks on the Yukon River. No portaging.

If I were to start all over with new gear, I would probably go back to all canvas packs.

Last edited:
I don't find dissing other people's styles helpful. Yes a barrel IS practical . There are places where you cannot hang. And I do trip there. The Arctic and the beaches of the Everglades. There is nothing to hang from or tie to. On our work trips in Wabakimi which were several weeks long with fly in resupply we never had crushed food or wet food. The barrels make perfect sense to me.
I am not on your trip and you not on mine.

Wooden Wannigans are not light either. But they continue to be used for good reason.
This is the reason I said, " our tripping style impacts the conversation here". Example: ultralight campers and base campers will likely have different priorities. Understanding a persons priorities helps us find common interests and the potential for positive discussion with like minded people.

My interest in the outdoors and backpacking led me to canoe camping. I found the view and travel more enjoyable on the water than from a trail. For some canoeing is the primary enjoyment but for me camping is the primary enjoyment and canoeing a means to that goal. Equipment is important, it impacts our comfort and enjoyment. I see value in most all equipment but am most interested in equipment that supports my style. There are positive and negative aspects to equipment and positive and negative ways to discuss equipment.

OK. The 60L Blue Barrel weighs 7lb. The Harness weighs 2-3/4lb.
Total - 9-3/4lbs. That is based on the "claimed" weights of each.
So at the end of the trip you are carrying probably 10lbs or more
(with trash) of Empty Space.
Does that seem logical when you can carry an Ursack that is a LOT
lighter and folds up to a small package ?
I've been using different varieties of Ursacks since the mid 90's
for backpacking and now Canoe Tripping. Tie it to a tree away
from camp and yer good to go.
Larry

At the end of my trips my blue barrel weighs exactly the same as on day one! I do not use my barrel for food but rather use it for my "absolutely must not get wet" stuff (Clothing, sleeping bag, electronics, first aid/repair kit, CIGARETTES & DOPE.

Yes I do have much less of the last two items when I finish a trip but the weight difference is insignificant. Cigarettes are very light and no matter how hard I try even on a 50 day trip I can only smoke so much pot!

Hmmm,
What is this "blue barrel" I keep hearing about? I have never used one, never touched one, heck, I've never even seen one...from any distance!!
I travel on my canoe trips the same as if I was backpacking, I dry my own food and snacks and all consumables (and hygiene stuff) goes in the removable top of my Osprey pack. That top gets removed from my pack and hung.

I should mention that all my trips are in the ADK's, but never in the High Peaks. A bear cannister is required there, and not just any cannister, it must be an approved cannister, I forget which manufacturers are approved.

Regardless, the only reason I responded here (since I don't believe I have anything significant to contribute) is to ask if these blue barrels are bear proof? Are they?

They are NOT bear "proof", they may be bear resistant. They are quite good at odour control which is the primary reason to use them for food.

On the other hand I would consider them to be critter proof (raccoon, squirrel, porcupine, mice) for at least short (days) periods of time.

Seems we have some serious thread drift amongst angry old people. lol. But I suppose tripping styles encompass gear selection too so this drift isn't too far.
As a caveat I'd say I/we have never had any serious critter problems, and never any bears. But that is not to say this was due to our methods, perhaps we've just been lucky. I'd like to think my being uptight about food contamination of gear, clothing and campsite has been helpful. There was that one time a family of racoons treated our hung duffle as a piƱata but that was the exception.
As I understand it and interpret it I see the dreaded 30L barrel usage originally as an easy alternative to the heavier and harder to procure wooden wannigan. Somewhat of an improvement but not by much and definitely not for everybody. I have both because being an inquisitive and open minded fellow I wanted to explore the options. I've made and used 2 wooden wannigans and have 2 barrels, a 30L and 60L. Wannigans (wanigan, wangan), also called grub boxes have some merit but equally some inconveniences. Barrels have plenty of each as well. You'd have to actually try them yourselves to truly understand and appreciate the differences. But when we first started tripping we used the soft sided (pack) option because that was all there was available to us. A small canvas Scout haversack worked well until we expanded our kitchen, then we moved up to a larger sturdier canvas duffle bag. Food items were kept in plastic always to keep the canvas clean. I wanted the gear and food protection of a hard sided wannigan but didn't want to have to make one. I searched for ready made alternatives such as coolers but chose none of those, ever. Then the 30L blue barrel came along and I tried it. Since then I've made 2 wannigans but of different designs than the traditional. Gear choices have reflected the tripping styles I've experienced and likely to continue to do so. I'd like a return to the simpler small soft sided days. A spare few kitchen implements of cup, spoon, pot and fry pan. Odour free mess free foodstuffs all to my liking kept contained in a drybag. I still have that old haversack hanging in the corner. Waiting.

Last edited:
I have a comment on blue barrels ... as a point of tripping style more so than esthetics. I used to use the barrels with a harness. On my 32 day trip to Woodland Caribou I used 2 blue barrels in a duluth #4 pack and that worked very nicely. They are great for keeping things safe from the wild chewers as well as keeping items dry.

The more I tripped solo, the more I wanted a more traditional kit, but something that was also easier to access my items ( everything I needed was always in the bottom of the barrel!) and provided a quick seat or table if needed. I chose a Wannigan, with odor proof bags for for food stuff inside. This has worked very well and I prefer it to the barrel. ( last 2 pics)

However, with the wannigan and having to tump it, I have had to triple port. On trips that require many portages, triple porting has limited me to not getting very far each travel day and that has lead me to another way to carry my kit, keep it water proofed and dry and only have to double portage.

I use the canvas bag, it fits in my canoe better, I start with bedroll clothes on the bottom, food and gear in the middle and tarp, tent on top of bag. Tie it off and tump it. It is more comfortable for me than a barrel harness, but tumping is not for everyone. I used odor proof bags inside ursa sacs to keep my food safe once in camp. So far this has worked well for my style of tripping - solo with my dog. (1st pic)DSC02958.jpegt pic)SOLOBOB1-280617-090754.jpgSOLOBOB1-280617-091122.jpg

Seems we have some serious thread drift amongst angry old people. lol. But I suppose tripping styles encompass gear selection too so this drift isn't too far.

Thank you Odyssey! Well said and what I was thinking.

I am interested in equipment and a discussion of how people pack, protect, and transport their food when camping would be interesting but probably better suited for discussion in one of the gear threads.

Tripping style aside I like a barrel for food/cookware storage for many reasons, not just because I can strap a folding tabletop on for cooking and eating and side table ease.

Barrels (with a good ring seal) are far more waterproof in long submersion than most dry bags; pricey Watershed WP zippered bags excepted. In a submerged pin of any duration most dry bags will leak, or at least seep in though the fold overs.

If packed correctly nothing gets as compression crushed in a barrel, no Nature Valley packs of 100% crumbs to pour in my maw. With any kind of barrel organizer ā€“ I just use labeled stuff bags ā€“ I can position then next meal or snack bag on top for instant access.

Easy to strap down to a D-ring, and under the sheltered cool of the spray covers my Snickerā€™s or Choco- fudgy breakfast bars donā€™t melted to wrapped feces appearance, with half the chocolate coating stuck to the wrapper for me to lick off. And then the un-licked residue of anything then goes delicious-odor in the trash?

Odor ā€œproofā€? I doubt barrels are 100% odor proof, but Iā€™ve had barrels pull a dented vacuum on elevation change. Beyond that Iā€™ve seen too many hung food bags that became a Rodentia nibbling playground. Donā€™t think a squirrel or chipmunk can climb down a rope to a hanging dry bag? Think again.

Iā€™m not willing to share my precious food with forest creatures, and do not hang anymore; I just stash the barrel away from camp in any critter habituated site, tied to a tree if Iā€™m bear concerned. I know that on any frequently or recently used site the habituated nibblers will be sniffing around close to camp, but on little or unused sites Iā€™m comfortable leaving the barrel closer to camp.

I do mostly solo trips, almost exclusively in the Adirondacks. Over the past couple of years I have done a trip with my daughter and her husband. Those have been a lot of fun. She had our first grandson this past June, so we didn't do a trip together this year. She is already talking about going again, so it will just be a matter of when. This summer I did take a friend who had never done wilderness camping. He said he enjoyed it, so maybe he will go again. My wife is no longer interested in "roughing it," so it looks like it will continue to be solo most of the time. I have no problem with that; I did 8 solo trips this year and look forward to doing more, longer trips when I (plan to) retire next summer. There are a lot of trips on my list, mostly canoe camping, but also some backpacking. I am due for major surgery, probably sometime this winter, so that is the wild card in the mix. I am hoping that it is all resolved by spring, retirement happens and my tripping opportunities open up.

I guess I should try to stick to the OP topic...
Early on, like when I was a child, tripping wasn't referred to as such. It was fishing or hunting, neither of which I was fond of. I did enjoy being with my uncles and cousins, and the paddling, hiking , camping in the ADK's was cool. We mostly slept in tents, sometimes under an inverted canoe, in the fall it was usually large canvas cabin tents...no stove for heat.

After a teen years gap, I would go with MDB (although at that point she was My Darling Girlfriend) and friends. Rarely more than six of us, three couples.
When our kids arrived, it would still be MDB and I, our daughter, and later our son too, along with BIL's, SIL's, nieces and nephews. Those were some great times. I did many years of annual dad's and kids wilderness trips, gradually morphing into dad, son, and friends trips.
Then came the gang of eight trips, generally more challenging trips, and consisting of myself, my son, my buddies and his buddies. (some were the same buddies)
Now, it's mostly just me, and an occasional friend and his kids. Son and nephews still join in sporadically.
My best buddy passed away 2 years ago this week, we had spent 40 years in each others company, and a few others have moved far away...

I would love to go back to those days when the kids were all young.

Stripperguy your group trips sound a lot like mine used to be. Now itā€™s one annual trip with my brother and favorite nephew which has become a paddle back in to a secluded basecamp trip. Otherwise, itā€™s mostly solo trips for me now, especially since the border closure has kept me out of Canada the past two seasons.

My paddling style is Silently !

I pack way too much. Way to heavy. I'd not be a good role model in that respect !

Jim

Back