• Happy Cinco De Mayo! 🇲🇽🎸💃🪅🌶️

​Pot to nestle Jet-boil stove?

G

I love my Jet-boil stove. I love my Purcell Trench grill. But never the twain shall meet.

Times when I have a campfire I do like having a pot of water heating water for a toddie or evening clean up. It would be advantageous to have a tall slender pot (with lid, and bail) into which the Jet-boil canister nestled.

A tall, slender pot containing the Jet-boil would not take up much more space or weight, and would provide an insurance water heater vessel if the Jet-boil (or fuel) crapped out. heck, it might provide some external armor for the stove.

NOTE: Just for heating water; anything else I cook over a fire, so I am not concerned about begriming or food odoring the Jet-boil canister.

The self-contained Jet-boil canister is 7 ¼ inches tall x 5 inches wide with lid and strap handle protrusions.

Any ideas for a pot that is Jet-boil sized or a little bigger?

If there isn’t one there should be.

having trouble finding asparagus pot with bail.. And pour spout.. I sense a diy project coming involving riveting a bail and somehow molding a pour spout,,,
Or spend the big bucks for a Kelly Kettle. Medium ought to do you.
Now I have no idea if you can nest anything in it

On my way to doing potentially useful and probable actual useless research I found this necessity..

An Eco Vessel Double Wall Insulated Beer and Coffee Mug Its much cheaper on Amazon
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...2-oz?a=1851988

I have been looking at this very Zebra pot myself for the same reason. Stainless steel and I think it is about 2.0 pounds

Last edited:
I also found this but it is aluminum. Affordable and will fit inside a 30L barrel top opening as well.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/401101655423?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I like the idea of a billy pot just barely wide/tall enough to contain the Jetboil. I looked at the dimensions for some coffee percolators, which would be an inexpensive solution, with handy bails and even a pour spout, but to get the height needed the diameter is wider and less snug than I’d prefer.

To that end I had a conversation with Bens Backwoods. Probably with Ben. The guy was really helpful, understood my intent, fetched a 16cm Zebrapot and took some measurements while we spoke.

It would to be close heightwise using the lid as is. Using part of the insert, inverted as the lid, seems assured to work (according to Ben’s measurements). The dimpled crater on the lid may be in the way heightwise; if that is all I might be tempted to pound it out with a rubber mallet.

I hadn’t actually planned to buy the Zebrapot, but with that kind of extended customer service, the company already on the phone and a credit card nearby, well . . . . .

I’ll let you know how the Zerbapot works as a JetBoil billy.

I am kinda surprised that Jetboil doesn’t offer a pricey Titanium billy that will design nestle their stove system snug as a bug.

http://www.jetboil.com/Accessories/1-5L-Cooking-Pot/

excellent. Please post up some pictures when it arrives. Hoping it fits well so I can order one myself...

Me too.

If the 16cm Zebra Pot works as a snug nestled Jetboil container, even with some adaptation, it will be the answer to my Trench Grill Billy pot prayers.

BTW, more kudos to Ben; we have emailed back and forth a couple times since I placed my order. Try getting that kind of customer service from Janeesh at the corporate call center.

If you do more than my simplistic boiling water cookery Ben has suggested a couple of Backwood’s items that nestle inside the 16cm Zerbra Pot. Carbon steel bake pan anyone?

http://www.bensbackwoods.com/paderno-carbon-skillet-baking-pan-6-5-8/

excellent. Please post up some pictures when it arrives. Hoping it fits well so I can order one myself...

As you wish. First off, that was mighty fast shipping; the Zebra pot arrived USPS this morning. I was out on a hardware run and my son’s were convinced it was another weird joke package, a la Glenn’s post-ceremonial rodent fecal candles. They were kinda disappointed. I wasn’t.

Results of the Jetboil nestle fit test(s):

Width-wise the 16cm Zebrapot is 6 ½ inches in diameter, the JetBoil 5 inches wide, so there is more than ample width to insert and extract the Jetboil, without doing ketchup in the bottle business. More side space than needed really, although I may store a Reflectix coozie or two inside that pot as well.

Height-wise the Jetboil is 7 ½ inches tall and the Zebrapot only 6 ½ inches tall. Oops.

But wait, the lid of the Zebrapot is an additional 1 ¼ inches tall.

Except, the lid of the Zebra has an indented dimple that sticks down ½ inch into the pot. With the stove in the pot it is possible to compress that dimple against the flexible lid on the Jetboil and cram the pot lid down (it is that close), but I fear overtime that continued squish might damage the pliable Jetboil lid. ($6 for a replacement plastic lid? Seriously?)

There is no secure way to use the insert pan as a lid, so that is not an option. Nice pan though. Just what I need, more cookwear to tempt me.

The solution is simple as can be. It is not to peen that dimple back out, which might occlude using the Zebrapot lid handle in any case.

I took the flexible lid off the Jetboil and stuck it beside the stove inside the Zebrapot. The burner base and fuel canister stored in the Jetboil are ¾ of an inch lower than the top of the Jetboil vessel.

Presto, the dimple on the Zebrapot lid fits nicely down inside that void, and the stove now fits snug as a bug.

A couple functional notes. The clips on the Zebrapot only hold the lid in place when the bail is positioned upright, ie not how I would stuff bag store the pot & nestled stove in the blue barrel. I have Velcro straps that would hold the lid in place for transport/storage, but methinks I’ll just store the (fire sooty) Zebrapot in a small/tight ditty bag instead.

There may yet be some minor tinkerer surgery on the Zebrapot. I am really tempted to try whacking that lid dimple down. It only needs 1/8 inch to fit perfectly with the Jetboil lid left in place.

And if I don’t need the clips for the lid, I don’t need the oversized bail that makes them work. I am considering removing the existing bail and replacing it with a smaller SS wire bail that would conform better to the curvature of the pot for easier packing.

Really, really tempted to whack that Zebrapot lid dimple a touch with a mallet. Stop me before I beat up my new pot.

Even sans any adaptive surgery the 16cm Zebrapot makes an excellent, snug-sized Jetboil container/campfire billy.

My thanks to ThreeScoutDad for the suggestion. I have added Ben’s Backwoods to my list of small business gear purveyors.

Toddies on me; hot water, Starbucks Via, hot chocolate mix, bourbon to taste. Yes, you may have another.

No no no, leave that ball peen hammer alone! Step away from the dimple. I like a little extra space where possible. The cozy added inside is great, but so too is a cleaning cloth? Can you have too many of those? Nice SS pot. I like. The scale is hard to discern for these Canadian eyes despite the ruler to rule them all. A can of beer would've helped. You do have a couple of those around the shop, do you Mike?
My burning question is this: Are SS pots worth it?

my pot arrived today as well.....I am fixing to unpack it and see if the MSR Windburner fits. It is about 1/4 inch shorter than the JetBoil......

No no no, leave that ball peen hammer alone! Step away from the dimple.

Thanks, I needed to hear that. At least for the time being. I really do want to whap that dimple to see if I can get 1/8 inch of extra height.

The cozy added inside is great, but so too is a cleaning cloth? Can you have too many of those?

The Reflectix cozy wouldn’t be for the Zebrapot, which can simply remain billycan heating over the fire and get refilled as needed. I have a Reflectix cozy for freeze dried meal pouches, and should make another for my (uninsulated) plastic oatmeal/soup cup.

Cleaning cloths, eh, I’m a little short, unless I use a wet wipe after a taint scrub. Yummy.

A can of beer would've helped. You do have a couple of those around the shop, do you Mike?

Mostly bottles in winter, Porter or Black & Tan. Winter = thick beer.

My burning question is this: Are SS pots worth it?

I honestly don’t know. Our old and oft used aluminum cookware is still in decent shape, if dented, scoured, scraped and harder to clean. The SS stuff is in better shape, and easier to clean, albeit heavier.

The Titanium stuff, well I’m not that free with my coin purse.

Not this Glenn, but I'm intoxicated that you like your pot.

I seriously doubt you are intoxicated, unless maybe the Huskies lost and you are swilling in sorrow. Hmmm, I have a mystery mailer.

I do like my pot. Hee, heee, hee.

Glad you like the pot. Look forward to hearing how it performs.

What about placing the Jet Boil in upside down? Although I do not have one of the fuel canisters, or even seen one up close, i assume the bottom it somewhat recessed?? As far as the handle, there was someone over at Bushcraft USA making slim SS removable handles. I will see if i can find a link.

Last edited:
unfortunately even though I made sure the pot I was ordering had the metal lid clamps....they sent me one with the plastic ones that will melt....so back it is going to go....

The MSR was a little to tall for the pot as well for my liking. I will be returning this one and continuing the search.

What about placing the Jet Boil in upside down? Although I do not have one of the fuel canisters, or even seen one up close, i assume the bottom it somewhat recessed??

The bottom of the fuel canister is recessed, but it makes no difference. No matter how stacked the contents it is the Jetboil lid that is (just barely) in the way.

This was the simple arrangement that worked (the blurry thing on the right is the Jetboil lid, removed and stuck beside the stove canister)

As far as the handle, there was someone over at Bushcraft USA making slim SS removable handles. I will see if i can find a link.

Yes please. That existing Zebrapot bail is a nice handle if you were carrying the pot as a lunch pail while walking to work, but I’m most likely walking 3 feet from the fire to my awaiting toddy cup or wash up. I’d like to see what slim bails folks have come up with.

My first, cheap (free), easy solution would be to use a scrap length of SS rudder cable and a couple swedges to create a wire bail.

I have plenty of cut off excess SS rudder cable pieces (I knew I saved them for a reason! I’m not a hoarder!) and plenty of spare cable swedges. Seems simple, easy, effective, low profile and near weightless.

I foresee some minimally invasive surgery on that Zebrapot. I can’t help but tinker with things.

And I still wanna whack that lid dimple with a mallet.

Zebrapot tinkering surgery

The Zebrapot clips and bail/handle are gone. That was a leap of faith. Essh, it is a naked pot, what now?

I tried removing the bail from an old aluminum camp pot to reuse on the Zerba. OK, that bail is mighty dang stiff. That seemingly simplistic plan is not happening; I could not even get the bail off the old pot, much less finagle it attached to the Zerba.

Time for Plan B. I have some concerns about a SS rudder cable wire bail eventually fraying and poking me in the fingers, but right now the Zebra is a bail-less pot, so until I find a better solution plan B is to use a scrap length of rudder cable and a couple of swedges.

There will now be an unnecessarily lengthy break while I try to find where I hid the swedging tool. I hid it so that it wouldn’t get grabbed off the tool pegboard by the missus or my sons for more abusive cutting purposes. That twisted strand SS rudder cable wire has to have a clean cut to go through the swedges.

OK, I found the swedging tool hidey hole.

Installing the SS wire bail took all of a minute, and is about as weightless as a bail is gonna get. If it eventually frays and flays my fingers I’ll move on to some as yet unknown plan C.

While I was at it, I added a short side bail to facilitate pouring hot water from the Zerbapot billy. A 6 inch loop of SS cable and one more swedge. I like it.

I do now so want to whack the Zerbapot’s dimple down 1/8 inch to accommodate the Jetboil stove with lid in place.

Must. Resist. Tinkering. Urges.

OK, y’all knew I wasn’t going to be able to resist giving that lid dimple at least a test whack. I stuck a piece of protective foam over that concavity dimple and whacked it a time or three with a 20oz hammer, and another couple times with a ball peen to round things out.

The dimple is now flush with the lid handle and cain’t go no further up. The Zerbapot lid now fits securely atop the fully assembled and inserted Jetboil, compressing the pliable Jetboil lid a 1/16[SUP]th[/SUP] of an inch and keeping it from rattling around in the Zebrapot.

SCHWEET.

Of course I no longer have an accessible lid handle, that recurved dimple it is now hammer smacked tight against it at center dimple.

One more short length of SS cable and another swedge to the rescue.

Top bail, side bail, lid bail. All near weightless and packing unobtrusive. Me like very much.

Until Jetboil makes a titanium billypot custom sized to nestle their stove this will do. Of course that titanium billypot from Jetboil will run $100, so this will do for a long time.

Time to search the spare ditty bag box for a stuff sack that just fits.

Back