• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Pots with Bail Handles

Reaction score
Bail handles are popular with folks who cook over open fires or wood stoves but there aren't many choices in Canada. Canadian Outdoor Equipment has some of the Zebra pots but although they are pretty goods pots they are very heavy plus, if you want them to nest you have to swap out the handle for a piece of cable.

Wandering around the web recently I found that Bushcraft Canada has the st/steel pots sold by Self Reliance Outfitters (in the USA., though the pots are made in China.)

I bought a 48oz version to take a look ( I also bought a Roselli carpenter knife but that is another story) and think they would make a reasonable campfire kit. The 48oz pot doesn't come with a bail but has the holes so it is easy to fit one. I use stainless downrigger cable and crimps. The large 64oz version does.

I like the tall pots for cooking on a wood stove or one of my fireboxes as it is easier to fit a couple of pots on in the limited space.

They also have a neat little device for hanging a steel bottle over a fire for boiling water.

Anyway, just thought I would share that info.

Not seeing the 48 oz version..

https://www.selfrelianceoutfitters.c...teel-pots-pans

Wouldn't ya know I gave up my bail pot set for a more modern GSI with the handles that hold the pot.. and eventually fail and the pot falls.
Grrr. I have to rummage in the paddle shed to find if I have a couple of reasonable size pots with bail handles left. I know I have one that is too small and one that is too big.. Never going to discard them!

Not seeing the 48 oz version..

https://www.selfrelianceoutfitters.c...teel-pots-pans

Wouldn't ya know I gave up my bail pot set for a more modern GSI with the handles that hold the pot.. and eventually fail and the pot falls.
Grrr. I have to rummage in the paddle shed to find if I have a couple of reasonable size pots with bail handles left. I know I have one that is too small and one that is too big.. Never going to discard them!

http://www.workwearcanada.com/products/detail.cfm?product=2589

I took bail handled pots for granted until I tried the more streamlined pot grippered pots. This old dog couldn't handle new tricks any better than those pots. I'll stick with the bail handles. I've become somewhat dextrous wearing work gloves tipping hot tea/soup/water/whatever from hot bail handled pot into waiting mugs. I also like the nonchalant swing and swoop for water down by the lakeshore, hearing the swirl and chortle as the pot fills up, stand and stretch and admire the view...
Jack and Jill never used pot grippers I bet.

Last edited:
I have the three stainless steel pots (48oz, 64oz, 120oz) that are offered by Dave Canterbury on his Self Reliance website. I use them almost exclusively and find them bomb proof, These are incredibly well made (in China) but to Dave Canterbury's specifications, so they are definitely robust. They are light and easy to clean inside. The lids fit tight and the bail handles are snug as well. I recommend them if you are searching for a lightweight solid bush pot.

Back