• Happy Cinco De Mayo! 🇲🇽🎸💃🪅🌶️

​Pot to nestle Jet-boil stove?

Okay, maybe reversing that dimple direction was a hammer stroke of genius after all. It sure does make perfect fitting sense now, now that it worked. And speaking of working successes, that wire bail handle is perfection too. Never occurred to me before to add that extra bit of custom suppleness to a pot handle. No more angular protruding parts. But the wire length must be just right too. Not sure I like the side wire handle though. But I'm just a spectator here; please don't call me down from the audience to play whackamole with an expensive Zebra pot. And one last thing, you're kidding me right? There isn't really such a thing as a swedge tool? Besides a pair of pliers I mean.

Yes there is a swedge tool. I need three different sizes in my work. Mine are about like a bolt cutter in size and action but the working end has two semicircles hold and squish the collar.
Jim

Thanks Boatman, I'm gonna have to find me one. It will solve all my clothesline problems. Crimping with pliers just isn't good enough.
(It's her clothesline, until it breaks, then it's my clothesline.)

Mike I sent you a PM reference your retired parts....

The handle is a bit mangled from removal, but I’d be happy to mail you the SS clips. Or one at least, I have already repurposed the other clip as an improved side-pour bail. (See offer below)

I am not sure what you want them for though; they only work to secure the lid with the bail handle in the upright position. That lid is unlikely to come off in campfire billypot use and the clips are kinda superfluous.

The Zebrapot is actually a repurposed Bian Dang, a Taiwanese bento box lunch pail pot, hence the big comfy bail handle for carrying it to work or school, and the lid clips so your steamed pork dumplings and Zong-zi doesn’t fall out on the bus floor.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ben...=QlmPWIbTNIfSjwTPha7QBQ#imgrc=Xwd8gXWOCBhfEM:

Okay, maybe reversing that dimple direction was a hammer stroke of genius after all. It sure does make perfect fitting sense now, now that it worked.

I was surprised at how well that dimple reversed, and even more surprised that the Jetboil then fit perfectly. After success with the SS wire bail installations I could not resist giving it a whack.

And speaking of working successes, that wire bail handle is perfection too. Never occurred to me before to add that extra bit of custom suppleness to a pot handle. No more angular protruding parts. But the wire length must be just right too.

The SS bail wire is (was) 23 inch long, including the swedge loop wire length on each side. That was longer than needed, almost under the pot when folded down, and I have already cut it shorter. 19 inches including cable end loop lengths was about perfect.

Installing those wire bails is about as simple as it can get. Run the cable through one swage (correct spelling???) hole, through the handle attachment point, loop back through the other swage hole and crimp.

Not sure I like the side wire handle though.

I didn’t much like it either. The remaining dilemma for use as a billypot is the lack of a side bail for pouring. The bail attachment is kinda high up on the pot, and that cable was too flexible to allow much pot tilt. The side bail needed to be much stiffer.

I reoriented the top bail attachment (and shortened the wire by 3 inches) and put one of the lid clips back on one side. The stiff lid clip makes a much better side bail for tilt pouring.

And one last thing, you're kidding me right? There isn't really such a thing as a swedge tool? Besides a pair of pliers I mean.

I was thinking of a Wedgie tool. It is actually a swaging tool, and a real rudder cable swaging tool too is stupid pricey. Crimping the swage closed can be done with a pair of electrical pliers, but getting the clean cut necessary to poke that cable through the tiny swage holes needs an extremely unfrayed end, far cleaner than most wire cutters will leave.

I don’t actually have a pricey crimper/cutter swaging tool. I took a piece of rudder cable into a hardware store and they let me try various wire cutters. My usual hardware store, accustomed to my weird repurposing requests; they were curious about which cutter made the cleanest cut and even took stuff out of blister packs for me to try. Now that’s a place where everybody knows my name.

Most of them made a mess of the cut cable end, but one (a Wiss PWC9W model) left a nice clean cut. Identical to these:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/H-K-Porter-8-in-Wire-Cutters-PWC9/100174049

Nodrama, I have a deal for you. If you want to try that Zebrapot adaptation I’ll send you a couple lengths of SS rudder cable, swage crimps and the spare SS clip for a side bail. The only hard part of that adaptation was getting the original Zerbapot bail handle off.

I have lots of leftover SS rudder cable and crimps, and I’ll lose that leftover clip long before I ever find another use for it. Those parts are in an envelope on the bench for you

Here are a couple pics of my swedge tools.

IMG_2391_zpsdsqua5hm.jpg

IMG_2392_zps4jzraron.jpg

I didn't think to take a pic of the cutters, but the blades are curved together to hold all the wires together as they are cut.
Yes crazy expensive.
For a clothesline I think I would splice it, there is a really easy wire splice I'll see if I can find a tutorial.
Jim

"Swedge"

I don't know much about tools, but I like words. Swedging is leaving a restaurant without tipping or, in Scotland, to fight or brawl. A swedge is also the beveled but unsharpened top edge of a clip-shaped knife blade. Well . . . it can also mean shaping metal as by hammering. For example, Mr. McDIY swedged the dimple on the top of his zebra pot.

Are you guys sure that those crimpers or cutters are called "swedge" tools?

"Swedge"

I don't know much about tools, but I like words. Swedging is leaving a restaurant without tipping or, in Scotland, to fight or brawl. A swedge is also the beveled but unsharpened top edge of a clip-shaped knife blade. Well . . . it can also mean shaping metal as by hammering. For example, Mr. McDIY swedged the dimple on the top of his zebra pot.

Are you guys sure that those crimpers or cutters are called "swedge" tools?
Swage, swaged or swaging. "Swedge" is most likely a regional translation. No biggie.

Words are important. They convey precision. Or obfuscation. Depending.

I didn't know this yesterday, but today I know that Mike joined wire by using a swaging tool and crimping sleeves -- of which there are three types: round section, oval section and double barrel.

Whether that Scotsman is a swedger or not, perhaps I'll find out someday if he takes me to his favorite pub for biscuits and gravy.

Swage, swaged or swaging. "Swedge" is most likely a regional translation. No biggie.

I had always heard it pronounced “swedge”. Regional colloquialisms perhaps. It is soda, not pop. Crayfish, not crawfish or crawdad. Sub sandwich, not hoagie or grinder. Y’all, You guys, Youse better start speaking mid-Atlantic English dammit.

Dinner/supper, firefly/lightning bug are still acceptable variations.

Whether that Scotsman is a swedger or not, perhaps I'll find out someday if he takes me to his favorite pub for biscuits and gravy.

Just say when. I will treat you to a country breakfast; your choice of a made to order Grande (eggs, meat, pancakes or French toast) or a Breakfast Casserole (eggs, biscuits and your choice for chipped beef or sausage gravy).

Or tepid water, decaf and gluten-free dry toast.

BTW, words matter, and some words bug the crap outa me. Those meal choices are, in the currently favored terminology, “bespoke”. Please use that word in the New Freedom Diner; I want to see the waitress’s expression.

My least favorite term of in vogue use is “rising”, to describe any high school or college student.

I kid you not, I recently read a newspaper article “Joe Schmoe, a rising sophomore at Whatever High, had been expelled for fighting before being convicted of the murder”.

Rising? RISING? What the phuck is that supposed to mean?

That breakfast should keep you going while we make you a fire-in-a-can pot of wax & wick.

I’m just surprised I didn’t get any grief from Glenn about the condition of my hammers.

That 20oz Craftsman hammer built a dozen decks, shingled four (five?) buildings and built half a cabin in the Chiricahuas. I spent 3 months pounding 5-gallon buckets of twenty penny galvanized ring shank barn nails with that beast, and whacking my thumb more than once. My right hand felt like a piece of frozen ground beef in the morning for a year afterwards.

Hand tools, like paddles, have muscle memory built in over time. When I reach for a hammer The Beast is my first choice to swing.

OK Mike I will PM you my info. THanks !

The wire and crimps should arrive soon.

I had no sooner mailed them than I realized that I should have cut the SS wire to appropriate lengths first.

The cut ends of those wires should be clean enough to pass through the crimp holes.

To avoid having to deal with a frayed wire cut you can just pass a clean cut SS wire end through the crimping sleeve, loop the attachment point, back through the sleeve and cut off the excess.

Even a frayed cut wire can be drawn back even with the end of the sleeve and crimped tight.

A wrap of masking tape on the saved side of the cut also helps contain the wire strands, just slide it off after the cut.
Jim

Dremel tool on stand by.

I am awaiting Nodrama’s struggles in OEM bail removal.

That was a seriously attached bail handle. Even the pop rivets are stainless and resistant to a hacksaw blade.

I opened a gap between the bail handle and potside attachment, hack sawed away, opened that gap a bit further, hack sawed some more and finally tore the rivet in two with a pair of nippers.

No doubt it is all b*tch-to-cut stainless steel.

Unless you manage to do a cleaner job of removing the original bail handle than I did you will want to run a skinny rat tail file in the side attachment holes. Mine were kinda raggy, which I feared would wear at the SS cable loops.

Good luck. Please post photos.

Back