• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Poll: How much is your spouse or SO interested in canoeing compared to you?

What percent of your interest in canoeing does your spouse or SO have?

• 0%

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • 10%

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • 20%

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • 30%

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • 40%

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • 50%

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • 60%

• 70%

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • 80%

• 90%

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • 100%

Votes: 3 4.3%

• Total voters
Survey says canoeing interest, so I’ll put MDB at about 80%.
She paddled and wilderness camped with me and our paddle/camping friends for many years. In fact, it was on a multi day trip in the ADK’s that she declared her love for me, I was already there a year earlier.
After 45 years of marital bliss (50 years together total) she will still come along on trips if the grandkids are going, others wise not likely.
But she loves those day trips that we regularly take, mostly in the ADK’s, occasionally in MA and VT.

I asked Karen, as long ago I learned not to second guess her. She said 90% and I agree. She loves being outside, paddling and camping. She has a very keen appreciation for the beauty in nature and takes tons of photos trying to capture it. She's an incredibly hard worker with a high capacity for necessary struggle. She has a great sense of humor and perspective, which is really helpful when situations deteriorate. I am a very lucky man!

0% and I’m good with that! My wife has two conditions. First I bring my Garmin InReach. Second, I take our one pup Pippa who she claims is a handful when I’m away. I love tripping with my dogs so it works for me!!

10% at the moment, however there is a spark of interest for my wife to at least start going on day trips or short evening paddles. We live close to amazing beaches in Maine and evening paddling in quiet coves and back bays seems to interest her. We have not made it out yet to tandem paddle but I do feel there might be some inkling of hope to day trip at a minimum. Winds have not been cooperative with 20-25 mph gusts the past few days which has hindered a paddling outing. Since a few days ago where she stated her interest I have been continually watching the weather to paddle with as perfect conditions as possible so that she can enjoy the experience. I of course will be bringing my striper rod when that time comes.

negative infinity isn't one of the options

I didn't think about positive hostility to canoe trips when formulating this poll, but that certainly has happened from time to time in my marriage (and, in retrospect, for good reasons). Perhaps I should have included a "less than 0%" option.

Like a few others, my wife's interest has certainly dwindled over the years. Lucky for me she doesn't mention my take over of the garage with 5 canoes and bicycles hanging everywhere.

Wife said paddle all you want, so long as you don’t ask me.

I‘ve heard people tell me I’m lucky that my wife lets me paddle so much. I usually correct them. I’d be more lucky if she paddled with me!

She said she didn't like the whole paddle, setup/take down, paddle thing, so I tried A Base Camp trip with her daughters, but that didn't work either.
She doesn't like all the downtime in camp.
I love to solo and she loves the time alone at home.
She has two requests First I bring my Garmin InReach. Second, make sure my insurance is paid up.

As long as she has her wine I think she’s ok going. Bathrooms are important. I’m looking a picking up a Casita 17ft in the next 2 weeks and will plan our USA journey two years from now. Hopefully with the tandem and solo on the tow vehicle. Plus Canada tripping. Gonna need to google map the wineries! 😏

My wife is 100% in for day trips, short over-nighters, or multi-day extended trips that do not include any significant portages or cold (under 40 degree) weather. Her enthusiasm also wanes a bit in the rain or wind. So I voted 60%. It could be worse. And the balance of that 40% turns into some quality "me" time.

Met my partner in a tree planting camp, so she’s all into the bush life.
She cares about her job more than canoe travel, I’m the other way around, so only an 80 for her.

I’ll say my wife’s brain thinks about it far less than mine. Repairs-nope. Packing-nope. Talking about it all the time-nope. Wanting more canoes-nope. This website-nope. Talking about quitting our job and paddling more-nope. Why we need another paddle-nope. Tech specs-nope.

To her, it’s just a vessel that looks good and especially feels good. Design and brand means nothing to her, which is actually ok. Because we both agree that getting out on the water isn’t just fun, it’s very much needed. Finding a new to us place to paddle, or returning to one that we fell in love with has a sense of escape and major reward. I marked her as a 60% because she does love it, and the tripping, and wants to go more. But, as the gear geek and backcountry junkie that I am, I think this way of life is ingrained into my soul. I’m constantly on the hunt for a new boat or gear, or I’m planning a new route. She’s far less into that. But we compromise and her paddling technique has improved. I’ll take 60%

What? To be honest - she knows that there are canoes laying about- has no interest in even sitting in it on dry land. She likes it when I go though cause the house is hers- go more!

Mine is somewhat interested. I put her at 50%. We did a 5 day trip in Killarney last year with a couple of friends, including portaging the dreaded Pig (if you don't know it, it's infamous). She was miserable to the point of being sick, but she was a trooper, through and through. It helped that I suffered a major ACL sprain that spring so was similarly in severe pain on that trip.

The idea she doesn't generally like. But once she's out there, she has the time of her life. Sometimes I need to leave things out like "oh by the way, that was one of the top three worst portages in Ontario". She'll go for a four or five day trip with me anywhere within a day's drive, if I talk her in to it enough.

She's a swimmer though. She can comfortably swim 5K. If I can find somewhere with amazing beaches, it's a lot easier to convince her - especially when the possibility beckons of skinny dipping in a wide open beach in the middle of nowehere.

Last edited:
One hundred percent. Kathleen and I just returned from a 17-day canoe trip above tree line, about 300 km (200 miles) east of Yellowknife in the Northwest Territories. We thought it would be our last trip, as I am 74, and she is 70. But we were both energised, and want to go again. This, despite our pick-up float plane flying away twice, in two different locations, three days apart. We both love being out there, all alone, and in our canoe. I will be working on a trip report, but it might not be ready for 3-4 months.

Mine is somewhat interested.

Welcome to site membership, PF! Feel free to ask any questions and post messages, photos or videos in our many forums. We look forward to your participation in our canoe community. You might consider adding your location to your profile, which will cause it to show up under your avatar. This is in many ways a geographic hobby and community.

Back