• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

platypus gravity works 4 liter filtration system

the convenience of being able to just dip it into the lake/stream, hang it up and in less the 5 min you have 4 liters of filtered water! Iv had waaay to many sawyer squeeze bags burst at the seams, and hand pumping water for more then one persons needs suck...! not to mention water for dishes etc.....

IMG_9943.JPG I have just completed a trip to the St. Regis Canoe Area, New York, USA (trip report to follow shortly...) where I used the Katadyn BeFree 3.0 liter filter unit. In my case, I used the tubing to drain into my Nalgene bottle, but apparently the flip cap from a Smart Water 'sport' water bottle will fit the filter outlet so one could use it on the fly to drink from it directly.

Admittedly, the filter was brand new, and the flow rate was so fast that I had to stand by and shut it off once the 1 liter Nalgene filled (probably within 30-45 seconds). I was thoroughly impressed, and the packed unit is pretty small in my pack.

Gravity feed is beautiful except when your map shows a lake that has become a bog. Nary water on top but there is a foot below. Mimi Works literally saved my hide because the 2500 meter portage became 4000 m on very hot day with nothing to dip into. The map showed open water.
Not.
And useless on shallow mountain streams alas.

Also lots of fun to dip into water just after ice out!

I have been using mine for about 6 years ... if you backflush a bit after each batch, the filters last a long time.

So concur ... good piece of gear to have.

Brian

I also have a MiniWorks and I like the fact that you can just toss the hose over the gunwhale and pump while sitting in the boat. However, even with a clean filter and clear water it is a bit of a chore.

I've got the MSR version but using Swayer Filters. The biggest problem I have with the system is late June when all the White Pine pollen slogs filters. During that time of year, I carry 3 filters and the hypodermic backflush kit

I used a friend's 2L system on a trip to NC a few months back, came home, and bought one... I like Aqua Mira's 3oz... I like Polar Pure's 5oz and ease of use. I'm sold on Platy's 7oz and ease of use.. running water for 7oz? this is a no brainer.

Back